Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hi! New here need help.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadNitro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

OK, I've bin dreaming of a air cooled dune buggy / sandrail since the first time I saw one at the age of 5... 28 years latter Im finaly ready but I've got a tun of questions and need some guidance. If there are some books / we sights that are must haves Pleas let me know.

1) 2 seater vs 4 seater? Pros / cons
2) VW registration vs ASPT registration (in Florida)
3) Are there years to avoid? Mortor year? Trans year?

I've got more questions for sure but don't Wana make my first post too long

Thanks in advance yall
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

Having 4 seats doesn’t mean it’s a 4 seater... if you plan to have teens or adults in the back seat(s), bring them along to test the car! I am in the middle of figuring out how to handle no leg or head room in my 4 seater, now that I’ve had it 2 years and my kids are growing so rapidly. It has been treated as a 2 seater this season, for safety reasons.

Good luck in your search for the perfect ride, I was sure the buggy I bought would give us plenty of fun for many years, but now I’ve changed about everything on the car, but the frame!

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

MadNitro wrote:
OK, I've bin dreaming of a air cooled dune buggy / sandrail since the first time I saw one at the age of 5... 28 years latter Im finaly ready but I've got a tun of questions and need some guidance. If there are some books / we sights that are must haves Pleas let me know.

1) 2 seater vs 4 seater? Pros / cons
2) VW registration vs ASPT registration (in Florida)
3) Are there years to avoid? Mortor year? Trans year?

I've got more questions for sure but don't Wana make my first post too long

Thanks in advance yall

Make sure it is registered as what it is, it will make your life easier down the road regardless of if you want it on one or not. So "Assembled from Parts", Custom, what ever Florida calls it. And verify they attached vin plate matches the numbers on the title, and make sure the check the licence of the seller to verify that matches the title. From personal experience it is a good practice to get a picture of the sellers licence with the title as proof you verified it. At the very least get the drivers licence numbers of all parties noted on the bill of sale.
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

I started with a 4-seater. With growing boys, it evolved into 2 2-seaters. works out better as one always breaks and the other tows.
MadNitro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

Wow good info all around... Tho I would still like to know if there are years for parts I should avoid or perhaps I should be asking are there some years of VW power trims / suspension that where better then others?
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

That is a topic that many will debate... some swear that swing axle is where it’s at, I understand that is a taste you acquire. IRS rear suspension seems to be the norm for aftermarket strength. Front link pin suspension generally does better off road and allows more travel. But IRS AND LINK PIN were never a factory option, so it would have been built/modified that way. Anything you find within reason is workable and will end up being a riot.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

read this: http://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-engines/

the best cases are '73 and later, dual oil relief, 8 mm studs

swing arm if you like rolling over. IRS if you prefer to remain upright

read the baja bugs for volkswagen virgins links below. there is no info about swingarms or link pins because I don't care for rolling over, and the IRS cars have ball joint front ends

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

Depends on how you plan to use it. Street, woods, sand? How much hp and how hard you run it could determine needed trans/cv joints/suspension. Sorry, no 1 size fits all answer. Toolz and skillz?
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi! New here need help. Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and good luck whichever way you go. My baja is swingarm and balljoint (1966). It's probably the worst of the worst just ahead of super beetle for offroad. It is what it is... but I have a welder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: