Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High idle revs when "cold"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

If you will be working on a VW bus you HAVE to own a working tach and timing light. Preferably a dwell tach if you still have points.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
If you will be working on a VW bus you HAVE to own a working tach and timing light. Preferably a dwell tach if you still have points.

I have a timing light.

I guess a tach meter is on the list next! Any recommendations? They all look like multimeters. Haha
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

Harbor Freight dwell meters work well for about six minutes.

Sears sells an Actron brand that’s about $40 and has tach and dwell functions. I like them for entry level work.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Harbor Freight dwell meters work well for about six minutes.

Sears sells an Actron brand that’s about $40 and has tach and dwell functions. I like them for entry level work.

Robbie
my HF dwell tach still works after six years. If it only worked six minutes, why didn’t you take it back and get another?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

I'm in the UK, but something like this will do the job right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automotive-Meter-Multimet...tach+dwell
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

Done a few more "tests" this morning.

1) Fifth injector - Removed the plug to this before start up. Took longer to crank over and fire up, and then a few more seconds to get to a reasonable idle. So it appears that this is working as required on start up.

2) AAR hose - For the first 30-45 seconds, it idled reasonably. I clamped the AAR hose and the idle DID drop. Once I removed the clamp, the idle returned to normal.

3) Fifth injector - After about 45 seconds, the idle started to creep up. I removed the fifth injector plug to see if this was continueing to fire unneccessarily. The idle remained high. So it appears the fifth injector is stopping when needed.

4) AAR hose - With the idle high, I clamped the AAR hose once more. This had NO effect on the RPM.

I have to go out in the bus now, for a reasonably long drive, so we shall see how she fairs.

On my return, I will be sitting down with the FI manual and a multimeter and testing the FI electronics side of things.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

try pulling the parking brake with the bus in neutral, and taking your foot off the brake. See if that changes things.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
try pulling the parking brake with the bus in neutral, and taking your foot off the brake. See if that changes things.

Nope. Tried that early on in case it was servo related. :/
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

My only other thought is that I replaced some of the smaller vacuum hoses with silicon hoses a few months back.

For example, the ones like T, Q, R, I and J in this image.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

However, I did use the same ID hoses, but in silicon.

Could that cause it?
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

I have found a post I wrote on another forum in May 2018, where I mentioned a slight "popping" on deceleration.

I think popping is an overstatement. I can bearly hear it. It's more like a dull thud. Probably just linked to the reduced back pressure on the Vintage Speed ehaust.

In this post, I was advised to replace the smaller vacuum hoses. I was advised to use 3mm silicon hose which would stretch nicely over the 5mm fittings. I can't find what it is that I bought, but I suspect I did buy 3mm hose.

Is it possible that the 3mm hose is restricting it somehow?

I will probably replace it to 5mm, as that's what it should be.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

Well, testing the ECU was a failure!

I hate having this '79 CA FI bus. Everything is different!

The usual L-Jet diagnostic manual wasn't of use. The pins appear to be different on a '79 CA bus.

I found another diagram specific for a '79 CA bus, and a different diagnostic guide, but still no luck! Was getting no readings at all on the pin pairings.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1719886.jpg

I am going to give it a break for a few days whilst I wait to get some 5mm silicon hoses, and report back! Smile
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

5mm vacuum hose came.

Have replaced about 10 pieces of hose, and appears to have made no difference.

What I have noticed, however, is that there appears to be a reasonable amount of suction on the oil filler tube. Is that normal?

The revs also appear to drop a little when the cap is removed.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

Well, I appear to have found the "temporary solution" to the problem, and in turn, hopefully we can ID the source of the problem, and a permanent fix.

High cold idle is still a proble, but, if I pump on the brake pedal about 5-10 times, it goes down!

The video link shows the problem and solution from start to finish.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a85hrggatrjvs3/Video%2018-09-2018%2C%2017%2006%2025.mov?dl=0

Any ideas?
Presumably something to do with the brake servo and associated hoses?
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

I did the “brake booster test”.

Pumped brake pedal with engine off.
Went “hard”.
Started engine.
Pedal went down a little.

So appears brake booster itself is working, right?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

what do you mean by suction on oil hose? Are you talking the hose to the S-boot, or the oil cap? The oil cap has to be on and sealing or air gets sucked in there, thru the crankcase into the S-boot.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what do you mean by suction on oil hose? Are you talking the hose to the S-boot, or the oil cap? The oil cap has to be on and sealing or air gets sucked in there, thru the crankcase into the S-boot.

Ok, going by what you said there, suction/vacuum at the oil filler cap is normal and good?

It drops the revs, but from what I’ve seen that’s due to the air/fuel mixture being altered.
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

Finally found a spare 5 minutes to look at this!

Gone back to testing the decel valve.

When it is plumbed is as usual, it revs high.
See video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm9mb1li24q9zoe/Video%2010-10-2018%2C%2016%2001%2039.mov?dl=0

However, when I remove the hose and plug the end, the revs return to normal.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0mkliyhrlbbcec/Video%2010-10-2018%2C%2016%2002%2051.mov?dl=0

Is this a sign of the decel valve being faulty?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

AndyC13 wrote:

See video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm9mb1li24q9zoe/Video%2010-10-2018%2C%2016%2001%2039.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0mkliyhrlbbcec/Video%2010-10-2018%2C%2016%2002%2051.mov?dl=0

there is a test in the AFM manual in Technical. I thought that manual also had the pin out for the CA ECU.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

you can take a can of spray lubricant with a straw and use it to spray down beneath the breaker plates to gives the weights a good cleaning and lubrication. Any extra lube will run out the drain holes where you can sob it up. Afterwards, just keeping the felt lubed should be fine.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
AndyC13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: High idle revs when "cold" Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
AndyC13 wrote:

See video.

there is a test in the AFM manual in Technical. I thought that manual also had the pin out for the CA ECU.

When I tested the decel valve before, it showed no signs of being faulty.

But it’s seems the logical place to start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: