Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

My wife and I just finished a week-long trip from Asheville up in to VA and back and it was so nice I decided to internet brag, so here goes...

First, Westfauxlia...I converted my tintop about 6 months ago and have many nights camping and thousands of miles driving with it now. Simply, if you're thinking about this, GO FOR IT! It's been awesome in all conditions, no leaks, shaking, vibration, anything negative at all- and it improved van camping even more than I thought it would. Plus, I've gone from a rough running tintop purchased for 3k to a reliably running poptop for about 9k all-in. That's not bad at all.

Ok, trip...the purpose of this trip was first relaxation- we've both been under a fair bit of stress at work- and secondly to camp in places we hadn't been before.

In advance- a photographer I am not.

First two nights, Claytor Lake State Park in VA.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decent camping except for horrible neighbors first night, but they got booted. Probably won't go back here, park was very focused on beach, marina, etc and not enough outdoors for active DINKs...but the sunset was nice and we got some trail running and biking in.

On to Fairystone State Park for a night....GREAT! Campground was mostly empty, nice lake, good mountain biking. Here we'd stay again...

The rest of the trip would be going back to Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway. If you ever have the chance to van tour on the BRP, I cannot recommend it enough. Never fails to be amazing...anyway, Rocky Knob campground for a night....`100 plus campsites and fewer than 10 campers we had loop B all to ourselves....

Great hike the next day, then on to Price Lake Campground for two nights. We had high hopes for this campground and were not disappointed...

Amazing time. As a big highlight for me, saw this hiking...

That's an 18" long hellbender salamander off Boone Fork, too cool for school...lots of wildlife all trip, mostly deer and turkey, but this was a good sighting.

Ok, that's it, pretty simple but really awesome. Van was trouble free, 16.6 mpg with two adults, two dogs, two bikes, two boats. Really happy with that.

Remember, have fun everybody!!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

Fun, indeed...very cool!

Thanks for posting! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

Awesome post. Looks like a fun time. You going to Asheville van life rally next week?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

Way to go!!!!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

just bought my tin top for 3K with the pop top conversion in mind. great looking trip. thanks for sharing. that hellbender, whoa!

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Awesome post. Looks like a fun time. You going to Asheville van life rally next week?

Yes, hope we meet there!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

Cool trip report. I'm gearing up to start my pop top conversion. My old man gave me a loan to buy the westy donor. I have to pay him back before I start ordering seals, tent canvas, marine top paint etc. etc. Smile
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2018 NC/VA trip report plus Westfauxlia feedback Reply with quote

+1 for the BRP. We have driven the whole thing plus Skyline Drive (Shenandoah NP) and love it. Thanks for posting. Timing is everything! Wink

For those farther west, the Natchez Trace Parkway is a nice, similarly relaxing van trip - 50 mph limits, lots of green, and the camping is free (or was).

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: