Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Generator question Reply with quote

Bought a generator from a friend, but it looks different than my prior generator any others that I have seen. The difference being that there is a push on connector for the negative wire ans screw on for positive wire. What is that all about.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Weren't the later 12-volt generators like that?
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

I do not like it. Now i have to rewire.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

It's probably just for the 61 wire.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

A picture of the connectors, and the stamped part number/capacity info would be helpful.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
A picture of the connectors, and the stamped part number/capacity info would be helpful.

Yeah, Gina, please post pictures of both generators.

Definitely run the polarization test on the new-to-you generator before you install it, make sure that it can spin as a motor for a couple of seconds. Also, check the condition of the two generator brushes, don't install a generator with worn/low brushes.

If you don't want to clip and add new terminal, you could always make a short adapter wire.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Gina....I have reason to believe that is a 67 only generator.
Are you going to the Jerome Jamboree this year???
Does it look like this?? Notice the push on connector.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1784083

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

The generator with push on spade terminals are not a 67 only item. If a person did not want to hack their wiring harness to make this work you could make a couple of small jumpers using the appropriate terminals. Yes it would look a little wonky but would work and would allow you to keep the harness intact so that it could go back to original configuration at a later date.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Don't tell me that you're finally replacing the generator that had bad bearings a few years back !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

What year(s), make and model did the push on style generator VW used and installed them? Just want to continue learning.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
What year(s), make and model did the push on style generator VW used and installed them? Just want to continue learning.

I was doing a search to clarify this then dammit I lost it. This topic comes up from time to time and the one I found was titled “myth of the 67 only generator” but that thread had a lot of pics and at the same time answers questions. The day I stop learning is the day they cover me with dirt Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Oh My Zundfolge1432 I like your answer. From what I can understand is the typical 1967 one year only stuff for the 67 would be the generator. Now that is not to say a late 66 would have that generator although the 66 is 6V so make that an early 68 may have the generator. Sorta like my 73 standard type 1 has some 72 parts on it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

hazetguy
The Not-So-"1967 Only" Generator

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701894&highlight=generator

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Sorry for delayed response. Photo on phone and have yet to figure out how to get it to gallery to upload. Anyway, GT1953, you photo does not look like my generator. I began the electrical wire change out and am using push on's for all except red wire DF+ to voltage regulator which has round adapter with screw. Off to find the right size green wire that goes from generator to voltage regulator DF. My question would be...……is DF+ ALWAYS the left connector on generator??? The thick red wire going to DF+ on regulator? Since they are not labeled on my generator?
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Adjusted Generator question Reply with quote

Bus running. Must have hooked up okay. Yay! So, initial problem that began, still stands. RED LIGHT ON. Stays ON while engine running. BRIGHT. Generator polarized to battery. Connections all connected. Belt good. Half moon key inserted. No debris in fan. Fan nut tight! Oil pressure sensor new and connected and pulley at appropriate flex! Read and reread Muir and more. WTF? Another beer might help my progress. Rolling Eyes 1966 bus with 1967 1500 Beetle engine (it's what I have to work with since screwing over my 1600cc) and removing. Thanks. Would timing possibly be the issue?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Timing has nothing to do with the charging circut. If you polorized the generator and it started turning like a motor, it's probably good. Check the regulator.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusted Generator question Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Bus running. Must have hooked up okay. Yay! So, initial problem that began, still stands. RED LIGHT ON. Stays ON while engine running. BRIGHT. Generator polarized to battery. Connections all connected. Belt good. Half moon key inserted. No debris in fan. Fan nut tight! Oil pressure sensor new and connected and pulley at appropriate flex! Read and reread Muir and more. WTF? Another beer might help my progress. Rolling Eyes 1966 bus with 1967 1500 Beetle engine (it's what I have to work with since screwing over my 1600cc) and removing. Thanks. Would timing possibly be the issue?

Gina - I'm having a little trouble understanding fully the situation. Is the oil warning light on, or the charging light on? I ask because you mention the oil sender as new. Can you unplug the oil sender wire at the sender and start up, and confirm that the light is still on, please?

OK, engine does run, good. If you were able to polarize the generator then most likely it is good (but see Speedy Jim's checkout page www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm). So if the charging light is on, you did change to a 12 volt voltage regulator right? New or used? Bosch solid state or old style with contact points?
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

I am sorry. Generator (RED) light stays on. I also just disconnected the oil sensor light and started the bus. No green light. Only RED running light staying on. 12 VOLT regulator already there prior to putting this engine, generator in. Bosch. Yes. I think solid state. Bosch made in Mexico. Thanks. I wish I had a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Yep a garage does help.
Do you have voltage meter?
If yes what is the voltage at the battery engine off?
Start engine what is the voltage at the battery?
Also measure voltage at the generator connections.
Hopefully you will get that bus to Jerome.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Gina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator question Reply with quote

Voltage meter...yes. Voltage with engine off is If using digital multimeter correctly, 12.10 when engine off and only like 11.89 when running. How do I measure voltage at generator connections?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: