Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating Reply with quote

I bought five new 15" rims to fit 5 new 205/65/15" tires- I have the 5 stock 14" steel wheels left, and am looking around for Snow Tires to mount on them.
Not seeing a Correct Load Rated Snow Tires so far- I can always buy 205/65/15" Snow Tires, they're available, swap out tires twice a year on 1 set of rims, or, buy 5 more 15" rims AND the Snow Tires and be done with it-
Any hidden Snow Tire gems in the old 14" size out there that I've missed? Sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating Reply with quote

only 2 I know of at the moment I'd recommend

the 185r14C Anteres grip
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and the 195-75-14 6ply Starfire (cooper) all terrain
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Starfire+SF510+195+75+14

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply- I'll have to look up that 1 Snow Tire offering, since when there ISN"T snow on the ground/road, I'll be on the skinniest tire size of the 14" rims with them on dry pavement and possible high winds on the highway as well... Embarassed
Durn, was hoping for something wider in the 14" rim size, but I guess 205/15's are looking better and better.....
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating Reply with quote

There is thread on the Cooper Discoverer M&S (which is a winter tire). They come in a 225/70-14 load 99. It's a popular tire and you can get them anywhere. Some people run them year round even though it is classified as a winter tire. That size is about 26.5" tall so a little smaller than the General Grabber AT 27x8.5 that a lot of people use year round. The Discoverer also comes in a 215/70-14 which is the same height as the 185R14 but it's'only load range 96 in that size.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Any current 14" Snow Tires available in Correct Load Rating Reply with quote

If I'm back up to the 205/65/15" tire size, this is a new one, Overall Diameter isn't listed, but most tires in this size seem to be 25.5" or stock match overall. Check out the Maw Pressure and Load ratings- probably just as good for a Heavy Westy as for my lighter Tin Top...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

The Michelins were my first choice when I started looking at 205/15: tires, XL with 50 psi max and load range in the lower 1700s, but now that I see the above Firestone and a similar Dunlop of 102/100 range, I'm rethinking my 15" choices.... Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: