Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to fix this rust spot more solidly...?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
You painted before you welded? Did I misunderstand?
Is the Paint a Weld Through Primer? Didn't seem like it... Confused

Yes I know... I will have to scrape off the paint in the spots that will take a weld. Then paint again - inside and out. I should have at least put some masking tape over the areas that will need welding [same some work]
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

Okay- I lose track of whether this is the Vanagon sitting for months and you just want to slow the rust down, or you’re working on it right now.
Just confused a bit,, Embarassed
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Okay- I lose track of whether this is the Vanagon sitting for months and you just want to slow the rust down, or you’re working on it right now.
Just confused a bit,, Embarassed

No no, it's not you who is confused - actually it is me! I was looking at the fotos on this thread of how I did the OTHER rusted jacking point last year, and I had painted it before welding. But I had done that because I didnt have time to weld it before going to vancouver so I painted it in order to safely let it sit for 6 weeks. Then when i returned I had to grind off enough paint in order to weld.

This time I sorta downplayed in my mind what a bummer it is to have to grind off areas or paint to weld - I should have used some masking tape.
But the good thing about some pre-weld painting seems like there will be paint on the surfaces that will be covered with new metal. Also before welding there will be more room to get the paint brush in to some corners.

Anyhow the weather report SAID sunny all week and now it is foggy!! NEVER TRUST WEATHER REPORTS BEYOND 24 HOURS!! ...so finally it is good there is paint on that... who knows when the sun will return?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

Link

Watch the whole thing, or from 4:30.
THIS is the best way to fix this jacking point rust - FOR SURE!! Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/h5qom4N6M84[/youtube

Resin and glass? Yeah....... um heck NO..........

My 2c anyway........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
epowell wrote:

My 2c anyway........

Dave

It's the BEST Dave, come on! ...and great lip stick too Rolling Eyes
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
djkeev wrote:
epowell wrote:

My 2c anyway........

Dave

Laughing Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
epowell wrote:
djkeev wrote:
epowell wrote:

My 2c anyway........

Dave

Laughing Cool

Go back to the very first post on this thread > this girl just did exactly what I had done and then left it for 2 years. When I finally opened it up - WOW! What a mess!
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

Alright Ed, gotta ask. What is that stuff you slathered all over the back of that patch panel? It looks like a recipe for poopy welds at best. Laughing
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Alright Ed, gotta ask. What is that stuff you slathered all over the back of that patch panel? It looks like a recipe for poopy welds at best. Laughing

POLYURETHANE panel adhesive

Little backstory: on my first jacking point I had decided to weld in the structural metal, then just glue on the panels. Nobody here has the 3M stuff usually recommended - so I went to a store and asked for body panel adhesive and they gave me this stuff. I was skeptical but they assured me it was great stuff and is also flexible. So I bought it and used it. And so far now it has held on perfectly for one year now on the other side.

So probably a mistake but decided to use it again on the current body work spots. I don't necessarily see this as permanent, but it is just for the outer skins. I does seem to work and seems pretty strong. Anyway at least I got the rust out, and I don't think that using a sub-standard glue will encourage the rust to come back.....[? or could it?]

My current concern with my van's body is now to go thru the whole thing and deal with all the rust everywhere - all the seams, all the nooks and crannies - and treat everything. On the exterior, after dealing with an area, I am just painting on there epoxy primer with is basically the same colour as the original paint... but after another couple of years the lower half of the van is going to start looking pretty ratty [it already does look ratty]... so what I plan to do eventually is to paint the lower half of the van myself - with rollers. [seems a lot of people are doing this cheaply and successfully].

So when I get to that point I will have to ask myself if I will leave those 'poorly' glued patches, or re-do those patches more solidly. I guess this decision will happen a few years from now so by then I will see how well that POLYURETHANE glue stood the tests of time.

The other thing is that if I paint the lower half of the van myself with rollers - then that means that if at any point I would need to re-do any spots for whatever reason, then this will be no big problem: I will know what paint I used, and doing it with rollers will not require any special tools.

My disclaimer is that I am not really interested in having a van that looks factory perfect. I like being able to drive right into a prickly bush to maximize a camping spot and potentially scratch the paint --- I like not having to worry that if someone scrapes my van I won't have to go into a fit of anxiety... I just want something that look decent and respectable, but not something I am afraid to USE.

But I do not want any RUST! I want this van to last my whole life...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

I use weldable primer when welding sheetmetal I won’t have access to after welding. It comes in a rattle can.

If you really want to stop the rust, completely dismantle the van and have it acid dipped. It’s common for auto restorations here in the US. Otherwise you will just be slowing it down.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to fix this rust spot more solidly...? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

If you really want to stop the rust, completely dismantle the van and have it acid dipped. It’s common for auto restorations here in the US. Otherwise you will just be slowing it down.

Yeah that is another reason why I will never splurge on a profi paint job. Because the rust will always eventually come back. My goal is to find a way that I can cheaply paint, then re-touch the paint job myself affordably. I count with having to re-do and re-do and re-do these rust spots again and again over the coming years.... or perhaps by spraying wax annually the rust will slow down sufficiently.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: