Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking at a 70 beetle Classic
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

To me he's selling you the engine/transaxle (as cores) and wheels.

The rest is a huge rusty full restoration. If you have the time and skills, and enjoy the work, buy it for $500, then buy two donor cars! Just to repair that rear parcel shelf involves surgical cutting, drilling, etc. not to mention you'll remove the glass, transaxle, engine, and possibly even be required to split the pan. Then all new interior.

Ball joints and other mechanical stuff is fairly easy and cheap, which is why it was already done.

It's cars like this that probably keep fostering this "patina ratrod look" garbage that keeps popping up at car shows. (Apparently EVERY VW is a show car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:

It's cars like this that probably keep fostering this "patina ratrod look" garbage that keeps popping up at car shows. (Apparently EVERY VW is a show car)

Watch out you'll get joey and scott h after you!!! Razz

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

FWIW, I picked up my beetle in the Harrisburg area for not much more than that asking price.

My bug came rock-solid, running, driving, intact paint (some primer, but good shape), maintenance records.

Save your $$$ unless you are really wanting to weld and grind. There are better quality/condition beetles out there (and lots of them are closer to you than they were to me) for not much more $$$$.

That parcel shelf/package tray in and of itself is a LARGE undertaking. If you care to see what it takes to do it right, check this thread out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=28
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

Watch out you'll get joey and scott h after you!!! Razz

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dude how do I even find you talking about me on another thread???
You need to get past it. Life's too short to worry about patina.

I like the way that car looks. I would buy it for about $1400, fix the rear shelf and floors, make it safe and ride it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
While others worry about their cars not being 100% perfect, I'll be enjoying a sweet looking, 40+ year old bug with no worries on my mind.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Dugout5 wrote:
...Owner is a mechanic and said it would pass state inspection ...

I don't live in a state that requires inspections, so I don't know anything about them, but wouldn't having a 6-square-foot hole in the floor cause it to fail inspection? If you drive that thing as-is, you're going to be breathing exhaust, dirt, hot oil and whatever else is under the rear of the car.

For future knowledge, there is supposed to be a metal floor (parcel tray) above the transmission. You should not be able to see any of the ground below when looking at the interior of the car! Similarly, you should not be able to see any of the ground below when looking in the engine compartment!
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

If it is anything like here, inspectors only look at windshield, lights, horn, and maybe anything obviously wrong like a missing door handle. When I was a kid they would at least drive the vehicle to make sure the brakes worked, but I haven't had that happen in many years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
If you do not want to deal with the rust. Buy it. Get it registered in California. Then bring it over to me. Hand me $4000.00, plus your current California registered Bug and I will give you my current 70 Bug, minus the engine and transmission. I do have a used stock tranny I could install for you. We would need to swap rims and tires too. But you would get, a completely rebuilt front end, narrowed, so you can run wider tires if you like. Also, all the rust has been cut out of the body and patch and primed. Pan is in excellent shape, no holes. Never been hit in the front or the back. New rubber at the windows. Pop outs at the back. New dash panel, radio, speakers, seat covers. Windows all work. All electrical works. Hood opens, new gas tank and fuel lines. Disk brakes up front. Rear brakes all new parts. New shocks, new tie rod ends, new ball joints, rebuilt steering box, new horn, new lights, new turn signal switch, etc......

PM me if interested!

That sounds like a convoluted clusterfuck. Why would anyone pay $2,700 for a car, transport it from coast to coast, give it AND $4,000 for a rolling shell that has been patched together?

Good question. Maybe they are not mechanically inclined. Maybe they have a bunch of money and feel like sharing. Maybe they do not possess the skills, tools or talents. I don’t know. I do not ask that question, because I do have the tools, the talent and enough free time to do it. I just enjoyi supplementing my income! Helps me with the college bills!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
FWIW, I picked up my beetle in the Harrisburg area for not much more than that asking price.

My bug came rock-solid, running, driving, intact paint (some primer, but good shape), maintenance records.

Save your $$$ unless you are really wanting to weld and grind. There are better quality/condition beetles out there (and lots of them are closer to you than they were to me) for not much more $$$$.

That parcel shelf/package tray in and of itself is a LARGE undertaking. If you care to see what it takes to do it right, check this thread out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=28

Thanks for pulling that tread up! That was the easy way to do it! The full tray is a royal pain in the arse!

Thanks for not raking me over the coals like knucklehead 1 and 2. I think they are jealous that I like to weld and grind on these little cars and that my current one has a clutch pedal! Don’t know, don’t care to know!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thanks for not raking me over the coals like knucklehead 1 and 2. I think they are jealous that I like to weld and grind on these little cars and that my current one has a clutch pedal! Don’t know, don’t care to know!

WE'RE the knuckleheads???
You just asked a guy to pay $2700 for a tattered piece of shit, pay to have it transported all the way across the fucking country, pay to have it tagged and registered in California, and pay you another $4 fucking thousand dollars on top of all that -- and he gets a rolling shell in return???? What's that -- around $8k total if not more?? And that makes more sense to you than him just waiting for a better DRIVABLE car to show up locally for thousands less??

I wondered if there was sarcasm at play in your post, but apparently not since you took offense to our questioning whether you are actually sane.

I'll say it again:

WHAT

THE

FUCK.

I mean holy SHIT. Is business really that bad???!! Shocked Confused

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
If it is anything like here, inspectors only look at windshield, lights, horn, and maybe anything obviously wrong like a missing door handle. When I was a kid they would at least drive the vehicle to make sure the brakes worked, but I haven't had that happen in many years.

PA inspection looks at EVERYTHING. Brakes, lights, exhaust, suspension, shocks, ball joints, rust on the frame/chassis, leaks of any kind, cracked/broken glass, emissions, engine warnings, window tinting, .... It all depends on how picky the mechanic is as to what he'll pass or fail, but his name is on the inspection sticker so he has a lot riding on his work.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

So there it is and it runs the gamut. Some would buy a solid car from a dry state, others buy rusty cars and spend time on their backs for reasons known only to them fixing and patching with varying degrees of success. Others don’t care about anything and just cobble shit together driving cars that are structurally dangerous because it looks cool. Which one is right? Hell man each of them is doing their own thing. Sly said it best, it’s your thing do what you wanna do I can’t tell you who to sock it to.... 😀🎼🎸
Dugout5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Wow, you guys have given me a lot to think about. I will bring these points up to the seller and see what comes of it. I’m still looking around for a different car but most I see here are worse than this. It’s shows I’m a rookie cause I thought this one was pretty solid LOL. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places?

Thanks for all the input, I will keep you guys updated on my journey into the VW underworld! Very Happy
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Dugout5 wrote:
Wow, you guys have given me a lot to think about. I will bring these points up to the seller and see what comes of it. I’m still looking around for a different car but most I see here are worse than this. It’s shows I’m a rookie cause I thought this one was pretty solid LOL. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places?

Thanks for all the input, I will keep you guys updated on my journey into the VW underworld! Very Happy

You're probably looking in the right places, just takes time to find a good one. I looked at lots of cars before I found my Bug.

Craigslist, Samba classifieds, Facebook, local paper, and those free auto sales magazines in the little colored plastic bins.

Keep looking, your bug is out there
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Dugout5 wrote:

Well?? Very Happy

1600 SP engine
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

PA inspection is super tough. Anything you can think of is on the list. Brake wear, rust through the body. Frame rust, alignment, lighting, e brake, defrost, seat belts, anything you can think of. My jeep failed becuase of rust on the fender. They even check to see if the springs protrude through the seats. I had to get seat covers Crying or Very sad It's not easy to pass. Make sure you get older than a 73, or you'll need to pass emissions too.

Personally, I think that would be a great car were it not for the missing parcel section. The floors aren't too bad. I think they can be fixed pretty easily. The patina on that car looks awesome. I'd ask the seller to go down about 700 unless he can fix that rear parcel section.unless you're a skilled welder, that doesn't look fun. Also, you'll ned to find some metal to fit in there. (Sheet metal might work, if you just want to get it on the road and legal. The floor can be patched
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

PA emissions is for cars 75 and newer. When my 74 was getting inspected it was not tested for emissions. You can always license it as "antique", which is what my Bugs are licensed as, then no inspection of any kind is needed, but "antiques" can't be daily drivers.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at a 70 beetle Classic Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
PA emissions is for cars 75 and newer. When my 74 was getting inspected it was not tested for emissions. You can always license it as "antique", which is what my Bugs are licensed as, then no inspection of any kind is needed, but "antiques" can't be daily drivers.

Couldn't remember if it was 73 or 75. I don't have antique tags because I drive my 73 the majority of the time. My county doesn't do emissions testing at all. It's by county in Pennsylvania. As much as PA tests for, bugs are exempt from a lot of it because we don't have a lot lf the equipment they are looking for. These cars are as basic as they can be. Rust is the real killer in these cars, nut can be fixed with time patience, metal, body filler. and a welder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: