Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roll bar
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWest77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Roll bar Reply with quote

Is this a factory roll bar? I have the opportunity to buy it... but am unsure of what it is exactly.

These are the only photos I have.

Thanks for your help

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=343913

Kind of looks like it-how is it mounted to the body?
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

I don't think so. Looks like the rear mounts are where the funky brackets usually are.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

I have one of the dealer-installed, VWoA, 5-point roll bars in my Thing and it looks nothing like this one. The original bolts to the body and the pan and is not welded to it like the one in the photos. I think what you are looking at is something that was fabricated by a previous owner.

For the record there was no such thing as a "factory" roll bar for the Thing. They were a dealer-installed option.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

I believe VWoA offered two roll bars. One of them is configured like the one in the OP's photo: two hoops, with two straight members connecting them that run lengthwise. The link that 74 Thing posted shows an unmolested VWoA roll bar, and the curves of the hoops are more gentle than the ones in the OP's photos.

The other VWoA roll bar has only three members. A hoop over the front seat backs, and then two lengthwise members that go to the rear and then curve down to the package shelf.

Edited to add:
wbailey2112 wrote:
I have one of the dealer-installed, VWoA, 5-point roll bars in my Thing and it looks nothing like this one..

I know about the Thing Shop 5-point roll bar, but I didn't know that VWoA offered one. So I guess VWoA offered three types.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

The difference between The Thing Shop's 5-point roll bar and the VWoA is that the tubing diameter is different sizes and The Thing Shop's version has a slight bend in the front "hoop" legs so that the crossbar of the front "hoop" sits just behind the heads of the front seat passengers. The front legs of the VWoA version are straight with no bend.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

This ad indicates that the roll bar is modeled after the original
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2177407

I remember that there was both a 4 point and a 5 point (with an "x" cross in the back). There were original VW accessory listings for these as well as other options such as the rear tow hitch and wheel carrier but I cannot locate them on the site.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
This ad indicates that the roll bar is modeled after the original
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2177407

I remember that there was both a 4 point and a 5 point (with an "x" cross in the back). There were original VW accessory listings for these as well as other options such as the rear tow hitch and wheel carrier but I cannot locate them on the site.

I'm sorry but that "roll" bar looks like it was made by a manufacturer of back yard trampolines. It offers no protection and is galvanized like you'd find in play equipment.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

I didn't say I would buy it, but the shape may resemble the original bar.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll bar Reply with quote

Any roll bar needs to be well padded. The chance of spilling your brains when you hit your head against the unforgiving steel of the roll bar is a much bigger threat than experiencing a roll over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: