Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Hi
I so appreciate everyone on the forum. You guys (and gals) are great!!
Here's the story...So my son has a stock 1990 VW Cabriolet with a manual transmission. The short story is that the linkage is completely shot!! I've taken it to 2 different shops with the same diagnosis. The transmission and clutch were replaced and we are still having the same problems...I know that the clutch won't relate to the linkage and where the transmission is new, it has nothing to do with that.

Is there a way to rebuild these?
Does anyone sell a kit?
Do any of you guys have one?
Is this a common problem?

In one simple word "HELP"....and one more word "THANKS"
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

mg93108 wrote:
Is there a way to rebuild these?

Absolutely. Just did it to my '86 after suddenly losing first and second; shifts like new. Cool

mg93108 wrote:
Does anyone sell a kit?

Yep: http://www.mk1autohaus.com/5-Speed-Manual-Shift-Li..._8441.html

(And, if need be: http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Green-Shift-Lever-Rod-Spring-Install-Kit_p_6458.html )

mg93108 wrote:
Is this a common problem?

Common in the sense that they'll all need it at some point; like brakes and tires, the shifter components are wear items. Wink

http://cabby-info.com/Files/ShifterLinkageGuide_5speed.pdf
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

If the shops weren’t able to source the parts or do this simple procedure, I wouldn’t suggest taking the car back to them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Sadly your car is almost 30 years old and after I checked my supplier, those parts are not readily available anymore. If a shop cannot find the parts thru their normal suppliers, many will not go much past that. It is not that they do not care, it because if there is an issue, it's hard [or impossible] to warranty those new parts. So what you have is an irate client that thinks you have no clue what your are doing or that you just sell junk.

Although these cars may feel new to an old mechanic, many of the new generation mechanics think of them as Model T's.

Assuming the shop is good, ask them if you can bring your own parts in and show them a couple of links that show how to adjust them. Of course, finding someone that knows is the most ideal, but that may be the hard part.

You can always do it yourself, but some people are best to pay for a repair than go under the hood.

Although you mention the transmission is new, I would not rule out any new part to be bad.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:

Although these cars may feel new to an old mechanic, many of the new generation mechanics think of them as Model T's.

Yeah, because they can't figure out what wrong with the shift linkage because the TCM doesn't tell them what's wrong with it. Rolling Eyes

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yeah, because they can't figure out what wrong with the shift linkage because the TCM doesn't tell them what's wrong with it. Rolling Eyes

The stupid thing is, the shift linkage is so freaking simple on these cars. It's a relatively easy job, especially if you replace components piece by piece (it took me a bit longer than normal simply because I was working in an oven of a garage, and took everything apart that wasn't getting replaced so I could clean it all). The only PITA part is adjusting the shift rod, but even that was no issue with my car after replacing the rod bearing/bushing.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I spent a hour finding this stuff, and your shop would have to charge you for that hour, which 99% of the population would then bitch about.
I'd order these parts and take the Car back to who ever did the rebuild, and explain the problem, and pay them, to have them install, and adjust so the car shifts like a dream.

https://www.partsplaceinc.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Shifter+Bushing
I'd buy this & use what I need:
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-mk1-5-speed-shifter-rebuilding-kit-21184.html
The description is for Rabbit, Jetta, Scirocco 75-84 - 5 Speed, but the application chart shows it works for Cabriolet thru '92
Also from what I remember when I swapped a 5 speed for a 4 speed in my Rabbit truck,
The installation and adjustment was dead simple per Bentley Manual,
and I didn't need to adjust anything after I got the car running again.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
The stupid thing is, the shift linkage is so freaking simple on these cars.

Although I agree, if you look at modern car transmission linkages, they are so much easier.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
The stupid thing is, the shift linkage is so freaking simple on these cars.

Although I agree, if you look at modern car transmission linkages, they are so much easier.

Well, no offense, but that's kind of a no sh** Sherlock statement: Fewer components = simpler design.

As for easier, that depends on the car. In the time it takes a Golf VII owner to get access to the linkages, I could have the two "dogbones" popped off of my Golf I. But, the Golf VII owner would be back on the road before my Golf I was finished. On the flip side, by the time the Golf VII owner gets access to & removes the injectors, I'd have all four of my Golf I's injectors replaced and driving down the road. So, it's all relative. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
As for easier, that depends on the car.

Another Sherlock statement.

But at least we agree on something. Smile
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice
The sent the link that shows where to purchase the rebuild parts to the mechanic.
And the PDF is very helpful. I sent that to him as well.
I really appreciate the advice regarding my specific car.
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
Sadly your car is almost 30 years old and after I checked my supplier, those parts are not readily available anymore.

I found the linkage kit very easily and quickly from multiple suppliers. Bought one, had it installed, all good. Pretty easy actually. Apparently, with so many avid GTI fans out there, these parts are pretty easy to get by different aftermarket manufacturers.

Here's where I bought it. $69 plus shipping from Philadelphia...the city of brotherly love, cheese steaks, beer, and Grateful Dead cover bands
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

MMMMMM Beer and Cheese steaks!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!!! Cabriolet linkage problems, need replace/rebuild ADVICE? Reply with quote

Has anybody had any experience w 5 sp Eurovan linkages? And changing the back bushing? The Bentley book says it's simple but to me, I just don't get it? I only have1, 3,5 & reverse after swapping relay(for shifter) & numerous adjustments.. I also have a Jetta and golfcabro both 95'$ ...EV is 93.. thanks Bill PR& VT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: