Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnortonvanagon84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

I've got an 84 Westy with a 2.2 Subaru engine in a Kennedy conversion kit. Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper with hitch fit? Gowesty said to ask thesamba...
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

cnortonvanagon84 wrote:
Gowesty said to ask thesamba...

You're kidding me. They didn't have an answer?

Check to see if they have a video of one being installed. I don't think the motor has any bearing on whether the bumper fits but I don't know for sure.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

My Rocky Mountain Westy one fit my Kennedy/Subaru 2.5 conversion. It seems to mount in the same fashion, using the same frame holes as the original bumper mounts.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
TaylorGrant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

Our plate steel bumper, and related 2" hitch insert (REAR-HITCH) fit all years of Vanagon, both 2WD and Syncro. There are no potential interference issues regardless of engine conversion choice.

The only hitch product we offer that is not compatible with engine conversions is our 2" hitch (VANO-HITCH) that mounts to the van via the the OEM bumper mount tow loops. There is a center "T" bar that connects the receiver tubing to the engine cradle. In most cases, engine conversions delete this cradle in favor of another mounting system.

Any confusion on this was likely a simple misunderstanding. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueNorthWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

My GoWesty bumpers fit perfectly. I have a Subaru 2.5L with RMW conversion kit. I doubt any of the well known kits would prevent you from installing the bumper and hitch.

I haven't been thrilled with how the bumpers have held up though. In three years they have become quite rusty inside and out. I think this is typical of powder coat on plate steel, but still disappointing considering the cost.

Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610481&highlight=
TaylorGrant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the Gowesty plate steel bumper and hitch fit my 84 vanagon? Reply with quote

BlueNorthWesty wrote:
I haven't been thrilled with how the bumpers have held up though. In three years they have become quite rusty inside and out. I think this is typical of powder coat on plate steel, but still disappointing considering the cost.

Long-term corrosion resistance has always been a challenge on powder coated steel parts. Beginning roughly a year ago, we switched to a much better multi-layer coating process that we hope will deliver much better protection from the elements. Time will tell!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: