Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window seal fiasco
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Window seal fiasco Reply with quote

Hi all
This spring I decided to finally purchase the rest to the materials to redo both the windows and replace one regulator. After installation i left the window half way up (drivers side) because i wanted it to make the seal form to the window a little better because it was still kinda tight. In hind sight what i should have done is spray inside the seal with some lube. tonight in a final act of desperation to have a window that rolled up i took it apart as far as I could and found that the rubber that coats the spine of the seal/gasket/guide or whatever you call it had become soft and pulled away and balled up in spots which is why the window was so hard to roll up and my brand new regulator is stripped out now. The pane was hitting those balls of rubber which gripped the pane and held it from sliding. How stupid to use a rubber that deteriorates so easily!
The seals i had bought a few years ago and had stored in a cabinet in the garage. I’m wondering if they broke down or something? I bought what was toughted as german quality but I feel like they might have been trash to begin with. Or old stock?

Just wondering if anyone has had this sort of problem with window channel ( thats the right term!!) thats sold by a major supplier in California. I wont name names but i wasn’t too pleased with the ‘best quality’ regulator i bought from them either. It needed to be bent to match the bolt holes in the door. It was off quite a bit! After a couple cycles it was already stripped. Been rollin like this all summer and man it sucks having to think twice if it’s worth rolling the window down in 90 degree weather. Sad

Let me know your thoughts before i buy new parts to try it again.

TIA

Brian
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Window seal fiasco Reply with quote

Some of the Chinese/Brazilian/German/American seals/rubber are junk/deteriorate fast & suppliers selling them need to be named in Buyer-Seller Feedback & Facebook etc to protect the next person buying new rubber.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: