Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with spontaneous camping
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

So maybe I'm just dumb, but I have no idea how to pack up and leave for a weekend. I can certainly make a reservation at a state park campground, load the bus, leave, hang out, come back, and have had a great time doing it. Without that reservation for a campsite I'm totally lost, and the state parks in California book up like 90 days in advance.

I'm near Sacramento, and the wife and I like the mountains, coast, or big ass trees. I've heard of, and watched folks just go for a weekend without planning. I've tried the Google machine, it just doesn't work for me.

My grandbaby wants a trip to the coast for her birthday. Her and her sister love to camp with us. I don't know how to do it with only like a month before it's way too cold. Or any other time, for that matter.

Help a dummy out? What's your process for when you need to get out and do what your bus does best?
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

There are tons of groups on facebook you can search for stealth camping, BLM Nation Parks ,free camping. Have fun

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

I share your angst with California State Parks... and without this dissolving into a political flame war, I suggest digging harder at each park’s phone number. Call them the morning of, and get on the standby list for ‘no - shows’

We showed up on an August evening at El Capitan State beach; that place sells out six months in advance. We got a spot... a no show! Our planned alternative was dive motel.

I’ve done it and it works. Not perfect, mostly you are ready to compromise.

If that fails, show up after hours and sort of squeeze in there. Get creative! Leave early before the host makes their rounds.

Camp in a hotel parking lot. Camp in a neighborhood side street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Quote:
and the state parks in California book up like 90 days in advance.

Is it really this bad now? No one can use them, they are too crowded?

Yikes
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

It can be. Go to their online reservation system (required now, no other way) and do a scan. Lots of fill-ups months out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
and the state parks in California book up like 90 days in advance.

Is it really this bad now? No one can use them, they are too crowded?

Yikes

The bummer is that I've never seen one full while being there, even though there are no more reservations available. So, in theory, I could go and be on the wait list. Someone would have to cancel for that to work.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem on our Cali trip. We ended up staying at private campgrounds.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

The question is where are you wanting to go? You indicate you are near Sacramento. There are many small camping sites in the state forests which are on a first come first serve basis. Those unfortunately do not have the support that people want nearby - running water, toilets, etc. Those facilities are in State and Federal parks which are harder to find a spot in. Take Yosemite for example - can you camp mid-week? If so then it is easier to find a space. But if you are a weekend camper then Yosemite is out unless you drive there and take your chances - 3 1/2 hours each way to not find a space is not fun. Lassen is another park - right now it might be affected by the fires in that general area, but it is easier to find a space than Yosemite. Again - a 3 hour drive each way.

Recreation.gov is where you can make reservations in the Federal Parks. If you don't know the parks a little then it is harder - for example, we don't camp in upper pines because that is where all the rock falls have been and it is hotter and dustier there than say Lower or North Pines. For EXAMPLE - going to that website and then to Lower Pines, there is one camping site available for Friday 14th thru Sat 15th. That same site is available again Monday thru Thursday of next week.

What I am saying is that camping in places like Yosemite, Lassen, some of the more popular beach sites closer to Sacramento take more planning than somewhere 6 or 8 hours from Sacramento and the Bay area. There are also many KOA type camps that one may find vacancies at all the time. Example: KOA shows a campground in Shingle Springs outside Sacramento in the Sierra foothills. It shows spaces available this weekend. Some have electric hookups. I hope this helps.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Take 20 over to 101, go north. The Lost Coast is your friend. Find Usal Rd, and take any stock-height Volkswagen about six miles down an UNBELIEVABLE dirt road to the beach, where camping is about $6 a night, and hidden amongst coastal redwoods, elk, and the beach.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6726522#6726522

Edit: go back out the way you came, or it’s a two-day loop back! And make sure your factory air filter is in tip-top shape.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Quote:
I've heard of, and watched folks just go for a weekend without planning

you will find they have planned it. Ask them how they do it.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Yes it all depends where you go. even when looking on reserve America or reserve California. the majority of campgrounds you'll find other than the major national and state parks only have a percentage of their camp sites set aside for reservations. The rest are first come first serve.

Some of the places I like to go I will show up on a Sunday about noon. Most campgrounds have a check out time of 11:00 am. camp sites open up as folks pack up to go home and become available. I've had a good run over the years this way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Van Gooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

Camp in a hotel parking lot. Camp in a neighborhood side street.

If your first few choices fall through, do the hotel parking lot camping. I elect to let the night auditor know that i am out there. No one has cared yet. I was able to even sweet talk one into letting me use the shower in one of the rooms too!
There are great people out on the road!!

Have fun.
CA bus 2.0 FI

"It is what it is or else it would be weird."
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

As a couple of other people have said, there are plenty of state parks in NorCal with spots that are first come first serve. I've camped up and down the PCH, Avenue of the Giants, etc north of SF with no reservations.
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies. Like, really, thank you all.

Recreation.gov is a resource that I've never heard of until now. Gonna check that out. I remember KOA campgrounds from when I was a kid and we had a ridiculous motorhome. Too nice for me, but another resource that I can check out for sure.

I'd like to know some more about the 'First come, first served' campgrounds. Like, how do I know which ones I might have a chance? I've heard that most of the State Parks do hold back some sites for the errant traveler, but how do I know? Call the Ranger?
How about private campgrounds? I've heard that these exist, but using the Google-machine isn't finding anything.

I'm not trying to be lazy, but I have a very hard time scheduling myself 3-4 months in advance, and I'd hate to drive 2-3 hours to turn back, or have to teach the grandgirls to pee in a WallyWorld parking lot or in the bus.

Totally understand mid-week being more available. Also, totes get needing to plan way early for Yosemite or something like that. But come on, man, like 3 months for Bodega Dunes?!? 3 months for big-ass trees? Our go to lately has been Hendy Woods. Cool trees, nice river, 30 minutes to the big shark pond...but 3 trips in a row there and I need different scenery.

Do most folks have the foresight to schedule their dirt trips at the first of the year, or WAY ahead of time? Am I being lazy or difficult, or overthinking this thing? Momma loves to sleep different places from the comfort of our $hitbox, and this stinkfoot likes sleeping with Momma.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

Most towns have 1 or 2 mom and pop private camp grounds (sometimes called trailer parks in urban areas), the ones in the sticks are usually a good mix between a KOA and roughing it on the side of a logging road. Some even feature little side attractions like pay per catch Trout ponds or garden gnome collections, great stuff for little kids.

Our campground reservation system for provincial (state) parks here gets booked up in the winter by the RV rental companies who fly in tourists from Europe, hand them the keys to a loaded RV, an itenerary and a map and turn them loose. But I've still often scored campsites by just taking a chance, there's always cancellations or a few saved up for last minute arrivals, I don't even try on long weekends or during the summer, but now that school is back in and the tourists have left the odds are better. If I'm going to gamble on no reservations I'll Google "camping in _______" as well as towns close enough to drive to before sundown just to have a backup plan up my sleeve.
Those forestry sites are great if everyone is commited to roughing it, but not all of them have the facilities you may need with little kids or a princess wife along, they are often also unpoliced by any rangers so if you don't like your next door neighbors choices in recreational activities or music you may have to leave in the middle of the night.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Stray Catalyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

I've taken two road trips from New England to California and back with my 1969 bus. I've never paid to stay anywhere - no hotels, no campgrounds, I'm carrying my bedroom with me and I stop wherever it strikes my fancy. This has shown me things that no campground ever could - the blackness of the sky at night on 10 across Texas, with no light pollution to speak of. The strange places along the way (Donner's Pass, Area 51, etc) are half the fun!

This has also given me opportunities to meet new people (via Samba or Type2.com, amongst others) when I break down in states I'd never previously visited, and has taught me a slew of roadside repairs.
1969 Westy, mostly stock, the Road Trip bus.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

freecampsites.net
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

I feel your pain! My wife likes to stay at provincial camp sites, I like to pull of anywhere.

Here is my suggestion. Get a potty that everyone can work with and empty easily. That is really the only issue. Cooking, sleeping etc are all things that you are equipped for. So, if you put your efforts into a toilet and make sure everyone is comfortable before you go, then nothing is a crisis, no matter where you stop.

I have literally stayed at any side road pull out. I like country roads next to rivers and lakes, but that is just me. It does not have to be pristine, but I personally avoid parking lots! one thing you might want to check out is local reservoirs. Often they are recreational sites as well, so worth a look see.

Good luck
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

the issue is ALWAYS going to be that there are 40 MILLION people in California and even more when you consider other states within driving distance. Add to that people come to California from all over the world to see our state. If you want to go to the places everyone wants to go to, you MAY have to plan 4 to 6 months in advance. We only drive to Yosemite when we can get a site for that date. The sites come up about every 60 - 90 days at 7am pacific, and usually all are gone within 15 minutes. They are booking 60 to 180 days out. The reservations cannot be transferred - they check the reservation and the driver's license. The reason is to stop scalpers. If you are going to a major area when everyone else is, and you want to take a chance - have a back up plan like a KOA. I used to make reservations at June Lake on the Owen's Valley side and pay for it in advance. Then if I could not get a place in the park we could still stay at June Lake. That is an example of an alternate solution. Because of the increasing crime rate here in California, I would encourage you to stay at parks that are policed by state or federal agents.
BoltonFTW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with spontaneous camping Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the issue is ALWAYS going to be that there are 40 MILLION people in California and even more when you consider other states within driving distance. Add to that people come to California from all over the world to see our state. If you want to go to the places everyone wants to go to, you MAY have to plan 4 to 6 months in advance. We only drive to Yosemite when we can get a site for that date. The sites come up about every 60 - 90 days at 7am pacific, and usually all are gone within 15 minutes. They are booking 60 to 180 days out. The reservations cannot be transferred - they check the reservation and the driver's license. The reason is to stop scalpers. If you are going to a major area when everyone else is, and you want to take a chance - have a back up plan like a KOA. I used to make reservations at June Lake on the Owen's Valley side and pay for it in advance. Then if I could not get a place in the park we could still stay at June Lake. That is an example of an alternate solution. Because of the increasing crime rate here in California, I would encourage you to stay at parks that are policed by state or federal agents.

Yes- the online reservation system for California SP and NPs seems to have made it more difficult to "just wing it" on the road and be spontaneous.

There are still some parks that will hold some sites for "walk-ins" -- usually at a 1 night maximum though and even that seems rare (Mill Creek SP way up northen in the Redwood NP system holds I think 16 sites out of their 150 as day use, single night, walk-in). Call a park ahead to find out if they do this and then get there on time or early.

If you are lucky, someone will have cancelled their reservation and the park can then give away that site the day of that reservation-- I think they give away reservations that were called and cancelled at 2pm for that day. Go ask if there were cancellations even if the sign at the entrance says "campgrounds full".

As others have mentioned, have a back up plan in order, and check the web reservations often-- even while you are on the road. Sometimes things will open up if cancellations actually cancel their web reservation with the park. But the online system doesn't let you reserve sites for the same-day.. I think it's 48hr advance.

Crazy that California has a higher population than ALL of Canada, "eh"?
1977 Westfalia Weekender Tintop (very first car - SOLD Sad )
1992 VW Corrado VR6 (SOLD)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: