Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much can a Rancho pro street take?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

so for my subibug build im looking at transmission options for a reasonable price. fab work is not a concern. Will the pro street transmissions handle 250+ hp. Will the 914 or 901 5 speed transmissions take the abuse. i have read the topics about babying the 1st and second gears but i really don't want to baby the 1st few gears. thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

I would call them. But the short answer is if you aren't dropping the clutch and doing drag race start like you stole it all day long it will last. If I were to do it all over again (Over 250 HP) I would go for the 6 Rib bus trans or move up to the Mendiola.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

I dont have the most experience on transaxles, but i would say that rancho prostreet transaxle is far not enough for +250hp engine. Especially with hard driving style.

I would say that you need either dragrace style built type 1 transaxle with all weddle gears and heavy duty casing, or type 2 6-rib, or Porsche 915.

Porsche 901 is not known to be very strong transaxle, atleast the first gear is not so strong.

I chose berg bus 5-speed with all weddle type 1 gears from rancho for my 2789cc engine.

If i would be you, i would forget all type 1 transaxles, because its small ring and pinion.

Best bet for strong 5-speed trans is either 091 with berg 5-speed kit, Subaru, Porsche 915 or G50.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=504197

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=721145

http://www.subarugears.com/

https://www.bugat5speed.de/en/beetle-co/transmissions/conversion-parts-porsche-transmission-915
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Bite the bullet and get the subarugears transmission!you wont have to worry about breaking it.it will take 250 hp no problem.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Why do most, not all, but most vw people want to skimp on the transaxle?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Quote:

They want a direct bolt in.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Quote:

They want a direct bolt in.

A type 1 transaxle wont bolt into a t-1? Am I missing something? My 67 is still swing, direct bolt in, makes 240 plus HP, runs 12.20's. It bolts right in.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Ya. The context of this thread is to use something other than a type 1 so I was referring to a 6 rib ,sub ,berg or porsche 915.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Rancho "pro-street" is a t-1

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Reasonable price = cheap

If you want something to handle what you are going to throw at it then it won't be cheap.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Forget about the fancy "Pro Street" names they use in the fancy magazine ads. VW never gave a transaxle a name. What kills transaxles isn't the HP of the engine it is dumping the clutch for drag race starts and smokey burnouts, wheel hop, and having too much clutch. A "Pro Street" can handle the 250 HP for a street driven car if you avoid the 4 things I listed. For more spirited driving you need to spend $2,000-$3500 on a type I gearbox that will handle the HP and driving abuse.

Call rancho and tell them what you want to do but be prepared to pay them. mcmscott can also build a gearbox.

If it were my project I'd put in a 091 Bus gearbox.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

6 rib with all the best parts?? Mine has most of that if not all. The diff alone is 1300. I dont know what I spent, have not seen the final bill. I needed everything even a core. I'm sure it is around 6k, Folts would of done a 2d for 6500.. that would stick out 2 more inches and the starter is clocked at 12oclock so would of had to modify firewall. THe good parts add up quick. My engine has 210hp and could be 260hp with head work. with gun drilled 300m axles and cv's add another 1500.00

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Will the pro street transmissions handle 250+ hp.

Yer transaxle will not live long if yer giving it full throttle in 2nd while gettin' air off of a jump . . . are ya gonna be doing that?

Or . . . are you more likely to be doing doughnuts in the parking lots?

Are ya going drag racing?

It's more a matter of learning the proper method for operating the vehicle.

Whatever transaxle you use will probably work just fine until YOU (yes, you . . . not the 250HP) do something to destroy it!
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

In his first post he talks about a subibug so I assume it means subaru power. The subaru transmission is stronger than most these modified transmission in its stock form. you can have a racing 1-4 with a nice cruise 5th.side step the clutch,drag race starts,donuts in parking lot,full throttle in second all you like it will take it.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

gprudenciop wrote:
. . . I assume it means subaru power.

Horsepower is a quantity . . . Thus, 250hp from a Subaru engine is the same quantity as 250hp from a Volkswagen! Razz
OP already knows all about http://www.subarugears.com/ . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706507&highlight=
In his first post, he is asking specifically about Porsche and VW transaxles, so I am assuming he is NOT asking about Subaru transmissions!! Rolling Eyes
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

This is great image to show that a 5 speed 094 will not fit.
Did the forks have to be notched or anything?

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

So it seems like these 6 rib bus transmissions hold up pretty well. Is this true? I know next to nothing about buses but where can I find one that will take the power that I need it too reliably.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Or would it be cheaper to buy a subaru gears kit? It looks like it around 2700 dollars for the kit, the mounts, and the nose piece.
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

just be nice-ish to it you can go a ways on a T-1.

No big clutch dumps, fix any wheel hop issues, have a clutch that can slip just the right amount (no 4 pucks, etc)

do your best to support it well, and have fun, just not too fun.

if you wanna zing the thing to 7k and side step the clutch, it aint gonna last long.
gprudenciop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How much can a Rancho pro street take? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Or would it be cheaper to buy a subaru gears kit? It looks like it around 2700 dollars for the kit, the mounts, and the nose piece.

Cheap is not the correct way to go about this.I brought up the subaru transmission becouse it will bolt up to your engine with no adapter plate needed.they run the stock transmission on wrx and sti at 400hp before they think of changing them to something stronger.this is in a car that is 1400 pounds heavier than the bug and run in all wheel drive. Like mcmscott said, don't skimp on the trans or you will be rebuilding an already expensive box again.whatever you choose porsche,vw,mendeola,subaru,chevy build it right the first time. cry once!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: