Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowySeal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

Hi

I have 1974 californian T2 Bay, 1800cc, twin carbs.

Engine no. is AW017287 and the engine decal says timing is 10 deg. ATDC (after TDC)

I have removed the entire EGR/Smog setup and blocked all the ports.

I have replaced the 009 mechanical distributor with a 034 centrifugal and vacuum advance electronic one.

My question - is the 10 deg. ATDC setting still relevant? How can I tell ?
I assume this is at idle (900 rpm) and no vacuum advance ?

Many thanks!

Ian
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

Is one of the carbs tapped to provide for the correct ported vacuum signature for the SVDA distributor? That needs to happen. I would plug the carbs "retard" port if it has one.

It will still get timed to 30º +/- 2º (vacuum hoses off and plugged) at about 3500 RPMs of whenever all of the centrifical advance the distributor has to offer is all in.

I would start at about 28º myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

You would only use the retard if your carb(s) were set up to offer a retard signal and that is unlikely. You would leave that side disconnected and only use the advance side after opening a ported vacuum source on the carb. Even so it won't work quite as well as with the carb it was designed to work with - but you will be happy with it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

Tell us which dual carbs you have. Many of the dual Webers do not provide enough vacuum for an SVDA vacuum canister. They need a minimum of 200mm hg. to pull the advance fully.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SnowySeal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks guys.

I have the Solex 34 PDSIT 2/3 carbs, and the advance vacuum pipe connected to an open port on the left hand carb.

The 30 deg. advance at 3500 RPM - that is obv. before TDC. What would be sensible at 900 RPM idle?

Thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

Note but do not change it initial timing at correct idle speed of 850RPMs +/- 50.

It should be somewhat close to about 7.5º BTDC.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EGR/Smog removal and subequent ignition timing Reply with quote

ianthurlbeck wrote:
....The 30 deg. advance at 3500 RPM - that is obv. before TDC.........

That's hose off, you understand that, right?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: