Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro locker panel wiring question.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

I'm migrating the syncro drivetrain to a 2wd camper. I'm in the process of running the vacuum lines and the wiring harness for the 2 lockers and decoupler. The panel seems to have two 3 pin connectors that I can't find a home for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Currently I only have front and rear lockers. I checked my paper Bentley manual and there is no reference to the syncro control panel wiring that I could find. That was a surprise to me.

I checked my microfiche for the vanagon and found a very simplified wiring diagram that shows only power from the hazard switch and a ground at the engine compartment for the rear locker only. I figured out the ground for the panel and tied the illumination into the hazard switch as it was on the donor.

I've uploaded a picture of what I am looking at. There is no matching connectors in the donor. Are these for something that is not utilized? Thank you. Mark
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

The 3 led lights on the panel use a 3 pin connector that is hidden behind the fuse panel.

[edit] I just realized you are adding syncro bits to a 2wd so the wiring under the dash will be absent but that is how it would normally be with one wire each going to the front lock, decoupler and rear lock.

Last edited by davevickery on Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

I could sure use a wiring diagram. I'll check the donor in the am. I'm surprised the factory manual I have skips right over it. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

The one with 3 striped wires feeds the 3 locker switches in the driveline.
I believe the other one is intended to plug into a module for the front locker as the factory front locker setup included a warning circuit to let you know the front locker was selected for engagement, before the locking actually occurred. Because of the rarity of the factory bits for the front locker most guys just connect the front locker in identical fashion to the rear lockers.

There is more to how the factory did the front locker but without the needed bits it isn't that helpful. Somebody more familiar with the factory front stuff might pipe in.

Factory Syncros had a separate sub-harness for the 3 possible lockers and this also included the wire for the Syncro fuel tank sender, and a ground wire for everything that attached to the same M6 grounding bolt used by other chassis items on the left side of the engine compartment wall.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I swapped the factory syncro harness over intact. Fuel sender was easy to migrate over. Both lockers were working as well as the illumination. I will look closer at the syncro donor in the am. I should have paid a little closer attention removing the syncro harness. I assumed my Bentley would have a wiring diagram, which was a mistake on my part. Hey, monkeys fall out of trees. As long as I know they connect to something, I'll find the 2 plugs on the donor and trace them back. Thank you.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Hello!

I took a few pics while figuring out mine, still not installed but hopefully that will be helpful to have in the database:
The Syncro 3 locker harness is separate, you have a whole independent harness under the van with the plug circled in yellow in the previous post that your panel ties into.

Light bulbs panel, Decoupler, Front, Rear, Light

Brown= ground for illumination
Grey/blue= illumination ( ON with headlights ON)
Black/blue= to #15 behind the emergency flasher warning switch, unplug existing and place it in series
Brown/blue= to rear locker
Brown/black= to decoupler
White/black= to front locker
Purple/black = reverse

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra photos. I need to look at the plug you labeled reverse lights now with the purple and black. I'm 99% sure I connected that plug to the fuel sending unit and connected the other end to the fusebox. I'm on my way to the shop in a bit and will update what I find. Thank you.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

The purple/black is for the fuel gauge sender in the tank.
The backup lights are not part of the Syncro subharness.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Ok, the mystery is half resolved. I was so focused on migrating the purple and black lead into the fusebox "E" connector for the sender, I tie wrapped the T3 connector that is part of the syncro locker harness to the harness that is part of the "E" connector. I was able to just plug into it. Oops.

That still leaves the other 3 pin "T" connector that seems to be wired as a "breakout" connector for the other 3 pin connector harness. Same color codes. I wonder if this was "test" connector that was utilized by the factory. It ends up being about a foot from the locker panel. Any ideas? Notice the wires are doubled up except the brown ground wire that "T"s into the panel ground and connects to the chassis.

Feeling a bit embarrassed that I created my own problem. Thank you, this is my first time really digging into a syncro.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Factory installed FRONT lockers can have an extra dash warning module that the harness wires for the front locker branch over to to warn when the FRONT locker knob has been set to engage.
It makes the FRONT locker led blink to let you know the front could lock at any time, which means loss of steering is imminent so driver beware.
Without that extra module the wiring connector for it just hangs around, not needed.

Most people with added front lockers don't have the module.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Mark, that makes total sense. I added the front locker and have the indicator light working, but nothing flashes when the front locker is engaged. You'd be hard pressed to know it was not engaged though.

I can move on to other stuff now. Thanks to you, Dave, and Alika. We can mark this case closed. It would be nice to have a wiring diagram. Even my old microfiche is lacking much of the detail. Mark
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

The blinking warning is for BEFORE engagement actually occurs. There can be substantial delay between the time the knob is pulled and actual locking takes place. As a safety feature the warning module flashes the led to give the driver a heads up that the front is set to lock but hasn't locked yet. Once actual locking occurs the normal locker switch overrides the flashing with a solid on led.

Of course with the locker actually on and vehicle moving the driver is very aware of the reduction in steering control.

Mark
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

So what triggers it? The switch on the differential is a physical on off switch. The vacuum switches are standalone. Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. Does the module get a vacuum connection? Anyhow, not going to lose sleep over it. Dashboard is back in and time to start buttoning the interior up.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

I'm curious about the details myself. I know I saw the various bits some years ago at a Syncro De Mayo but I don't exactly remember. As I said, most people without a factory front locker van to get all the extra bits from just do without the blinking feature. There is a Samba member who built something to do the same thing though. Maybe he will chime in if he still offers them.

Mark
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=127059

https://www.vancafe.com/kb_results.asp?ID=4
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Still have a ways to go to complete the project, but will add this to the list of less important things to do. Makes sense that the module would have a vacuum input.

Dashboard is back in and the knob panel is migrated to the 2wd dashboard along with the syncro harness and vacuum lines. Good days progress. Thank you for all the help.

This is a way more tedious project than I anticipated. So many details to take care of. I can see why migrating a camper to a tin top syncro has its advantages. This does give me the chance to refresh, derust, and paint everything underneath as I go. Thank you.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Yes, that is from the member here who built them, sold for a while through a Vanagon vendor or two. (calling Craig, come in Craig.......)

Mark

davevickery wrote:

https://www.vancafe.com/kb_results.asp?ID=4
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

I noticed the TB for the Van Café website did not have a link to the part. It's a good idea though.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Sorry for the misinformation about the purple wire, it makes sense it goes all the way to the front, I was scratching my head about that for a reverse light switch wire.

Look at a factory front locker knob panel, it has extra material for the safety device that requires to spin the knob to be able to pull it.

Sold here : https://www.vancafe.com/VCFRTDIFFSAFEKIT-p/vcfrtdiffsafekit.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro locker panel wiring question. Reply with quote

Funny, I just came in the office after doing the final install of the center heat duct and syncro controls to find this post.

My knob trim bezel, does not look like the one in your picture above. It is missing the plastic protrusion for the front locker lockout and my lights and harness attach to a type of circuit board. You can see it in my post above.

Trying to understand how this would work, it appears you need to turn the knob to find the slot to pull it out. So, just getting the repair piece is probably not enough, but thanks for posting the info, photos, and link.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: