Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW discontinuing the Beetle
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

I heard that on the radio just now. Hmmm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

Old news.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

They stopped making the Beetle in Mexico in June 2003.

You're 15 years late.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/last-classic-vw-beetle-rolls-off-the-line

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

Good riddance to the water cooled piece of crap that tried to capitalize on the original cars name and likeness. 🖕
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

I actually like the looks of the latest version. I almost signed up for one until I found out the convertible cannot be ordered with a standard shift gearbox!
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

I've gotten 3 or 4 New Beetles as rental cars, in recent times. The fact that Avis is buying them, is probably an indicator that they've fallen out of favor in the full-price-retail market...

Actually I kind of like them as rentals... Cute, and they seem to handle pretty well, compared to (more generic) Asian compact cars that the rental car companies typically provide. At least among the cars my company will pay for. I have no clue how the prices compare in the retail market, though.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

I have never owned a New Beetle but being a VW owner of various other models over the last 40 years I can assure you that the water pumpers are far superior to the air cooled engines in every respect!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have never owned a New Beetle but being a VW owner of various other models over the last 40 years I can assure you that the water pumpers are far superior to the air cooled engines in every respect!

That can be said for any car. I'm sure a 2017 Corvette with 500+hp is far superior than a 1976 Corvette with 180hp.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

I’ve seen some of the latest versions that looked pretty slick...I owned a 2000 year model and it was a good car, I drove the wheels off of it using it to drive to school and work for a few years. I’ll stick to the Aircooled versions though, I think that’s where most of our hearts are at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

... was a good idea, to bring it back - just never liked most all Beetles after 1965.
Heard they will come out with 2 special editions as a temporary, "good bye"...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Except when it comes time to repair or pull maintenance then you’d wish it was as easy as the real Beetle. These newer “water pumpers” as you call them were plagued with service bulletins and problems. VWs decision to pull the plug was based on sales, nobody is buying them. They will direct their attention to electric car, that’s a smart move on their part.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Epilogue triple black?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

if they had a performance 'ultima edition' that would be cool, like maybe a gti version or something. but I'm sure they have figured the sales would be too low to spend time doing an interesting last edition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Good riddance to the water cooled piece of crap that tried to capitalize on the original cars name and likeness. 🖕

X2
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

21 years was a hell of a run, the Germans were concerned they wouldn't get 5 years out of the run.
Ultimately the discontinuation of the New Beetle is/was just another symptom of VW Group, and VWoA continued stupidity in the North American market.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Epilogue triple black?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It wouldn't shock me if that is one of the final 2 special editions. Be really cool if the other was a triple white.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Ultimately the discontinuation of the New Beetle is/was just another symptom of VW Group, and VWoA continued stupidity in the North American market.

Absolutely!

I wish VWoA would get their heads out of the high end sport luxury market and get back to the "people's car" concept that took the world by a storm back in their heyday!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
These newer “water pumpers” as you call them were plagued with service bulletins and problems. VWs decision to pull the plug was based on sales, nobody is buying them. They will direct their attention to electric car, that’s a smart move on their part.

Just because the bulletins were not issued does not mean the problems were not there.

And how many bulletins are you going to issue on a $1250 car with a 25,000 mile warranty anyway?

Face the facts, they were junk compared to modern day offerings! Don't let nostalgia cloud the real picture. Ya, I still love owning and working on them too but I have no illusions of grandeur about what they were.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Face the facts, they were junk compared to modern day offerings!

We all know aircooled Beetles are rattling shit boxes, even when they were new. But in the new reality of "alternative facts" and baby boomer with disposable incomes cars like the New Beetle, PT Cruiser Camaro and Challenger will have buyers until their short attention spans allow them to forget and move on to the next flavor of the day.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW discontinuing the Beetle Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I wish VWoA would get their heads out of the high end sport luxury market and get back to the "people's car" concept that took the world by a storm back in their heyday!

Nobody wants a basic car. Personally I don't know how i've survived without power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, 3 zone climate control and 3 memory settings for my 16 way power seat. Oh and not with parking assist, my wife can parallel park.

Honestly a few months ago I rented a bare bones Hyundai Accent and even with power windows and mirrors, it was loaded with plastic, all the controls had a cheap feel and the ride was "no frills". I guess that at 2/3 the cost of my Subaru, you get what you pay for.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: