Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on this Kill Switch?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

The ignition switch key-in pin is labeled SU in that diagram. When the key is inserted the switch connects power to pin SU. It has a very small wire and is not made for doing much work. You may really want a key-on power connection which is pin 15 on the switch.

Mark
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

Well I am getting this done this weekend.

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice on routing to the new ground wire to the relay and momentary switch from the fuel pump. I am mounting both in the dash/radio area.

Thanks in advance...
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Well Crap...

I finally got the wiring done with the exception of the final hookup of the ground from the fuel pump.

So I went to test the operation of the relay but instead of a reassuring "click" I got a puff of smoke. Yikes..

Checked all my connections and I am 99 and 44/100% sure I have it right.

So... maybe a defective relay?
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

The puff of smoke came from the relay itself? When you pushed the magic button, or when you started to crank?
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
The puff of smoke came from the relay itself? When you pushed the magic button, or when you started to crank?
Yup...right from the relay itself.... Moved ignition switch to on and pushed the momentary switch... poof.
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Tully Mars wrote:
VicVan wrote:
Yup...right from the relay itself.... Moved ignition switch to on and pushed the momentary switch... poof.

Can you post your wiring schematic?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Tully Mars wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Yes.. it is in the thread. I posted it on Jun 28 2020. Stole it from Nick 83 who started this thread....
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
Surferboy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Tully Mars wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Tully Mars wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Yes.. it is in the thread. I posted it on Jun 28 2020. Stole it from Nick 83 who started this thread....

The diagram is correct its how I have it wired.
Fuel Pump Wiring Info - NOTE Relay is being used in an opposite configuration to handle grounds vs power

Terminal #30 is the connection from the relay to Ground of fuel pump.
Terminal #87 is the output to ground.
Terminal #86 is to the momentary switch and #30
Terminal #85 is Key in power

If you review your grounds 86 & 30 focusing on replicating the diagram exactly especially with the momentary switch ground upstream you should be fine. You should be using a true momentary switch otherwise you will one day forget to manage a true switch (leaving it on) and the security is useless.

With my install I have to first be holding the momentary and then turn the key otherwise it will not start because the relay needs to be grounded prior to the act of trying to start the engine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Surferboy120 wrote:
With my install I have to first be holding the momentary and then turn the key otherwise it will not start because the relay needs to be grounded prior to the act of trying to start the engine.

It looks like you have to just bump the momentary anytime after the key is inserted (using key-in power).

This looks like a good system. Then every time the key is removed, the fuel-pump shutoff is 'armed'.
I like this.
'Cuz if you don't take the key out, you don't have to bump the button.
Button can be tiny (for 25 mA) thus easy to hide, easy to run a tiny single ground wire..

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Surferboy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Surferboy120 wrote:

It looks like you have to just bump the momentary anytime after the key is inserted (using key-in power).

This looks like a good system. Then every time the key is removed, the fuel-pump shutoff is 'armed'.
I like this.
Button can be tiny (for 25 mA) thus easy to hide, easy to run a tiny single ground wire..

Your exactly right in how it works. It also requires the momentary to be pushed first before turning the key otherwise it just wont work at all if key is in say accessory position. So if someone finds the momentary they still need to know there is a sequence to the events which is not habit.

Its been flawless for me.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Surferboy120 wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Surferboy120 wrote:

I like this.

Your exactly right in how it works. It also requires the momentary to be pushed first before turning the key otherwise it just wont work at all if key is in say accessory position. So if someone finds the momentary they still need to know there is a sequence to the events which is not habit.

Its been flawless for me.

Sorry, if that's the case for you then you've wired it differently to Sodo and me. Plus what accessory position?

Once the key-in power is available, the relay can be latched on by a single momentary press. No 'holding in the switch while key is turned'.
Surferboy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

Sorry, if that's the case for you then you've wired it differently to Sodo and me. Plus what accessory position?

Once the key-in power is available, the relay can be latched on by a single momentary press. No 'holding in the switch while key is turned'.

Sry for the confusion on the term I used for accessory. What I am saying is that I can not turn the key to power (but not starting it) then push the momentary switch and then start the van. This is because the fuel pump is not yet powered on because #87 is not engaged as ground yet.

I must have the momentary switch pushed (creates temp ground #86) and then turn key to power which activates the relay (because of temp ground) and once activated the relay #87 is grounded is what maintains the ground for the fuel pump until power to relay is lost which then #87 ground is dropped.

We are running the relay backwards so #87 which is normally output to a device is playing the ground role as a switch.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Surferboy120 wrote:
Sry for the confusion on the term I used for accessory. What I am saying is that I can not turn the key to power (but not starting it) then push the momentary switch and then start the van. This is because the fuel pump is not yet powered on because #87 is not engaged as ground yet.

I must have the momentary switch pushed (creates temp ground #86) and then turn key to power which activates the relay

That feller's schematic is labeled "Key-in" power.
"Key-in" (in Vanagon-speak) refers to the "chime" wire that gets 12v at the first 1mm of key insertion, before any ignition switch position is chosen. I think it's the grey/black wire coming from the key switch.

Current track 74

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Forum;

I am new around here and just posted an introduction, but as I am interested to add some sort of anti-theft measure to my son's Westy, I read the entire thread (and I am qualified to make technical comments just in case anyone's wondering, no bragging intended!)....

The single relay solution posted by OP is electrically sound, and while reading through the thread I did notice that the relay Surferboy procured for this has an internal snubbing diode (shown on page 3 of thread). I also noticed connected as shown, the diode would be forward biased (in other words passing current!!!) as soon as the Mom button is pushed...this is BAAD and not the way or intent of a snubber diode!...and this would cause an unlimited current to flow in the diode, and explain your PFFT result!

Options for Surferboy: You can actually continue to use the relay, now that this diode has gone to the happy hunting ground (is open!)...I expect the coil and working contact are still just fine....or you could (if qualified and know what your looking at when you open the relay, and are so motivated) open the relay and replace the diode, check, and reuse...but swap the terminals 85 and 86 connections, or it will happen again!

Suggested correction option for anyone else wanting to add this circuit: If you are using a relay without an internal snubber diode, go ahead and wire as shown...BUT, if you are using a relsy with integral snubbing diode, swap connections of term 85 and 86. This will reverse applied voltage so that cathode of the diode (which is on term 86 has Positive voltage applied, and therefore is out of the circuit and just along for the ride UNTIL the relay power is removed, at which time it will become fwd biased by the relay reverse spike, and will quench that as the design and God intended! Sorry for the long explanation, understandable by only elec qualified here, but I figured its best that way.

I actually wrote about this on my vintage Volvo site, if anyone is interested: https://www.sw-em.com/Ignition_Slave_Relay.htm#comparing_3_4_and_5_terminal_relays

I hope this helps, and Cheers from Connecticut!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

You could also just reverse the snubber diode to make that work correctly.
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Abcate;

Sure...there are often multiple solutions, but few are going to go into a relay to do that...when you can simply have the correctly polarized connections externally to assure function with no PFFFT effect!

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Ronzo, what about using a simple relay like in the schematic (no diode)?
They are dime-a dozen.

Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Sodo;

As I note in my explanation, that would be perfectly fine!...in fact, after the PFFFT effect, that is what his relay has turned into(!), a simple relay with no snubber!...and when there is no snubber in the curcuit, no polarity considerations are necessary.

BUT...using a relay with snubber diode is preferable if you ask me, especially in cars with FI ECUs with electronics...anything we can do to keep high voltage spikes (which occur whenever the coil current of ANY relay is interrupted) down and to a minimum, is not a bad thing! If you are cheap (frugal) and want to use the diode-less relays (I expect they are the least expensive) or you have an S-load of them already in stock from when you got a deal on a quantity, I understand...there is absolutely nothing wrong with adding a snubber diode EXTERNALLY across the coil (use a 1N4004, and again, observe polarity obviously because of that pesky PFFFT effect!).

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

OK thanks for the reply.
Thanks for clarifying the PFFFT.
Good to know when it's AOK (and not just during Covid times)

So you're saying that little coil sends out a voltage spike?
Yikes I had a big starter solenoid as a battery isolator for years.
I could FEEL it throw under the driver's seat.
Likely a much bigger coil than those little Bosch relays.

Incidentally, this relay if used per the schematic....
the relay coil cannot spike the ECU, right?
Because the ignition is switched off at the time the relay is de-energized
ahem.......(key-tus interruptus Wink )

Surferboy120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on this Kill Switch? Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
Forum;

I am new around here and just posted an introduction, but as I am interested to add some sort of anti-theft measure to my son's Westy, I read the entire thread (and I am qualified to make technical comments just in case anyone's wondering, no bragging intended!)....

The single relay solution posted by OP is electrically sound, and while reading through the thread I did notice that the relay Surferboy procured for this has an internal snubbing diode (shown on page 3 of thread). I also noticed connected as shown, the diode would be forward biased (in other words passing current!!!) as soon as the Mom button is pushed...this is BAAD and not the way or intent of a snubber diode!...and this would cause an unlimited current to flow in the diode, and explain your PFFT result!

Options for Surferboy: You can actually continue to use the relay, now that this diode has gone to the happy hunting ground (is open!)...I expect the coil and working contact are still just fine....or you could (if qualified and know what your looking at when you open the relay, and are so motivated) open the relay and replace the diode, check, and reuse...but swap the terminals 85 and 86 connections, or it will happen again!

Suggested correction option for anyone else wanting to add this circuit: If you are using a relay without an internal snubber diode, go ahead and wire as shown...BUT, if you are using a relsy with integral snubbing diode, swap connections of term 85 and 86. This will reverse applied voltage so that cathode of the diode (which is on term 86 has Positive voltage applied, and therefore is out of the circuit and just along for the ride UNTIL the relay power is removed, at which time it will become fwd biased by the relay reverse spike, and will quench that as the design and God intended! Sorry for the long explanation, understandable by only elec qualified here, but I figured its best that way.

I actually wrote about this on my vintage Volvo site, if anyone is interested: https://www.sw-em.com/Ignition_Slave_Relay.htm#comparing_3_4_and_5_terminal_relays

I hope this helps, and Cheers from Connecticut!

I dont think it was me that posted a pic of a relay. My setup works great and has for awhile now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: