Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for a good resource
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

I am starting to research an idea for an upper middle grade/young adult story about a 16 year old girl and her stepfather bonding over rebuilding her grandfather's '68 bus. So advice, resources and anything you'd be willing to share will be appreciated.

I'm thinking, they're looking at a 50 year old bus - what would be the first steps to rebuilding something they find in the barn on his property that probably hasn't run since the late 80's/early 90's? Until then, it was kept in pretty good shape and is actually kind of a unicorn find - that lovely bus we all dream of finding in a barn that can, with some work, can be the conversation piece that has people turning their heads and sharing their memories.

I can get a copy of the John Muir book (I'm thinking that might be the type of thing they find in his old tool box as it was pretty standard back in the day - but then I drove bugs) but where would someone with a clue start the process of evaluating the vehicle, what kind of mechanical issues would 20 years of sitting in a barn look like and need working to bring it back?

Even if you can point me to a resource that isn't deeply technical. The story is over them bonding and I want it to be authentic but I'm not expecting a kid to read this and be able to build a bus from it. (Maybe inspire them to look twice if they see one Wink )

Thanks.

Data the Cat
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

One cool thing about barn finding a vw is the cool stuff the previous owners left in it. I found a ‘94 summer tour Grateful Dead t-shirt holding up the stereo. You could have them find something inside to trigger memories or establish a goal or place to take the bus when its done.
I think you are on to something. Cool concept.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

That sounds like a great bonding idea. Will this be the lucky girl's first car when she gets her license?

There are lots of resources here on The Samba to help with the refresh. Most important items are brakes (the rubber hoses crumble, the fluid gets water in it, and pads/shoes seize), fuel (drain the tank completely, replaces ALL fuel and vapor hoses), and about 142 other things. Just research here, and buy a Bentley's VW Service Manual (the other one stinks, in my opinion).

Welcome to The Samba! And please keep us posted on the progress.
Ask lots of questions.
.....Take lots of pictures.
..........Have lots of fun!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

I think people missed what you were asking. The Jon Muir book will give you more than enough info about the mechanical and philosophical aspects of getting an old bus running and it's a fun read for a non mechanic. There are a lot of build and project threads in the stickies section of the forum that will give you an idea of what people go through to get buses running and redone. I would hunt through those and find one that matches something that would be realistic for your characters to accomplish. Some people do very extensive restorations that take years, but many others clean one up, do a little bondo and rattle can painting and make one look quite decent. Good luck with your book.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
That sounds like a great bonding idea. Will this be the lucky girl's first car when she gets her license?

There are lots of resources here on The Samba to help with the refresh. Most important items are brakes (the rubber hoses crumble, the fluid gets water in it, and pads/shoes seize), fuel (drain the tank completely, replaces ALL fuel and vapor hoses), and about 142 other things. Just research here, and buy a Bentley's VW Service Manual (the other one stinks, in my opinion).

Welcome to The Samba! And please keep us posted on the progress.
Ask lots of questions.
.....Take lots of pictures.
..........Have lots of fun!
I’ve seen some Bentleyites do some stupid stuff before that they wouldn’t have done if they read the Muir first. I won’t name anyone and embarrass them. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

There are 2 simultaneous stories here, the getting the bus going, and the memories they have of the PO. That's plenty of conflict possibility, and when you add in the barn find deterioration, the twist is in.
I bought my grandfather's car, he was retired USN, and kept every receipt. It was a treasure trove of info, along with finding out my grandmother smoked, and never in her grandkids presence.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Well if you’re writing a story I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in the details of what’s involved with bringing the bus back to life. I’d try and focus on the personality of the bus. I’d leave the technical info pretty loose. Try and make the bus appear to be a giant awakened from a long slumber by a princess.

Maybe select a few anecdotes from a few of us to blend into the story.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Nathan is one righteous dude, and he lived a similar story:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528538

Data the Cat, have you ever ridden in or worked on a bus? I’ll be in your neck of the woods in late September or early October if you’d like to go for a ride and work on a bus yourself. I’m on a cross-country tour, so there’s always maintenance to do when you drive 2,000 miles a week in a 49-year-old car!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nathan is one righteous dude, and he lived a similar story:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528538

Data the Cat, have you ever ridden in or worked on a bus? I’ll be in your neck of the woods in late September or early October if you’d like to go for a ride and work on a bus yourself. I’m on a cross-country tour, so there’s always maintenance to do when you drive 2,000 miles a week in a 49-year-old car!

Robbie

Thanks for the offer Robbie, I may take you up on it. I used to drive a bus in college ... for about 4 months. It threw a rod through the engine block. Sad October would also be good as I'm doing my planning now before Nation Novel Writers Month in November. I'm a VW girl from way back and used to drive air-cooleds in college until my parents told me I needed a "grown up" car. After years of plain vanilla cars and mini vans, I rewarded myself with a 6 speed turbo New Beetle. (I'm on my 3rd one now - a red convertible named Sanderson... like his namesake, he's fast and aggressive on the break away.)

So a little more background with a bus might be really helpful. Thanks.
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Try and make the bus appear to be a giant awakened from a long slumber by a princess.

Maybe select a few anecdotes from a few of us to blend into the story.

I like that idea... thanks. Smile
oh didn't he ramble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

don't know where you are in MA, but transporterfest at the Larz Anderson (Brookline) is October 7th. There will be plenty of buses there and plenty of stories to go with them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

a tossed rod is not uncommon when oil levels aren't checked frequently. This underscores the differences between a car like the bus back in the late 60's, when oil in Europe was expensive so the bus had a small sump that needed frequent checking for proper level or a tossed rod resulted - and the cheap price of oil and gas here in the states - hence our American 6 & V8 engines had larger sumps which held more oil and needed less frequent checking. It also was a different time when buying gasoline was not self-serve, and many gasoline stations also had service bays where they did tune ups and oil changes. I am telling you this because for the reader to really transition from a young lady of today to the time her grandfather used this bus - she has to experience in a way what you did by having a bus that tossed a rod as consequences of someone in its life not checking the oil (perhaps the prior owner) and then place it in today's context - e.g., letting a smart phone battery go dead while expecting an important call, perhaps? Maybe a visual scene where her grandfather is a younger man getting gas and someone working in a gas station says simply while checking - "hey you are a quart low, want me to add one... ?" The response from the grand father is, "Na, it will be fine'" hence the way the bus ended up with a tossed rod and the consequences that resulted in something happening that influenced his and therefore his grand-daughter's life. Maybe he met his wife this way when his future brother-in-law helped him tow and fix his bus. There is a scene in Tom Hank's movie Castaway where he is intrigued by the image on a package - when the movie ends, all his emotional dreams are brought together by the gal in the pickup with that image - and he sits at a cross roads where the viewer (reader in a book) is left to imagine the ending by the direction he turns on that cross road. Perhaps your young lady in her bus might have such a moment too - where she sees her emotional past and future through the work with the bus and grandfather. Not meaning to be long winded here but thinking like Gary (Aeromech) that the young lady, her life and emotions, should be the focus and not the bus. That would be the largest audience. The bus is just an icon of what is happening in her life physically and emotionally - like the package with the butterfly on it was an icon of part of what made Castaway work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Depending where in MA you are located, you have some good resources around the state to tap into. If you are close to Methuen\Salem, NH reach out to the Bug Club (https://the-bug-club.webs.com/), or reach out to Fusername here, he's out of Arlington and has saved several less-than-new buses. I'm sure one or both of these resources could give you an inside track.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

You could reach out to the Guy who just started a project with his 16 year old daughter in DetroitOhio.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Abscate on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You could reach out to the Guy who just started a project with his 16 year old daughter in Detroit.

I think it’s in Ohio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Thank you everyone, this really helps a lot!

Data
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You could reach out to the Guy who just started a project with his 16 year old daughter in Detroit.

Where would I find that thread?
Data the Cat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Depending where in MA you are located, you have some good resources around the state to tap into. If you are close to Methuen\Salem, NH reach out to the Bug Club (https://the-bug-club.webs.com/), or reach out to Fusername here, he's out of Arlington and has saved several less-than-new buses. I'm sure one or both of these resources could give you an inside track.

I'm actually in that general area. Thanks for the tips, I'll see if I can track them down to check out.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

This is a great book about old vehicle restoration... it balances out the tech talk with the "life" stuff... maybe check it out as research.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Love-Story-Michael-Perry/dp/0060571187

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a good resource Reply with quote

Data the Cat wrote:
Abscate wrote:
You could reach out to the Guy who just started a project with his 16 year old daughter in Detroit Ohio.

Where would I find that thread?

Sam in Ohio, thanks Tom

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706850&start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: