Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reduction box and confusion. Brazilian vs. German.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reduction box and confusion. Brazilian vs. German. Reply with quote

I am in need of a transaxle for my 65 deluxe. Stock with reduction boxes. Big nut.

I am being told a bay window trans from a 1971 will Work. 71 is IRS but the seller says it has reduction boxes and will work.

Is this true?

Last edited by matthew henricks on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

Will not work. Seller is has tried too many magic mushrooms.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

What about from a 1971 Brazilian split window bus??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

im in socal and have one for sale. great working condition if you are interested hit me up. its from a 66 deluxe big nut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
What about from a 1971 Brazilian split window bus??

If you get all the suspension parts, including swing arms maybe. Those have a double jointed axle with RGBs. Do those use the later type 2 only transaxle or the earlier type 1, 2, & 3 transaxle?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

I am turning here because i cannot find alot of info on this.

All that i am looking at is the actual tranny. Not the axles. Was figuring the center section for a Brazilian split may be the same. Seller is pretty adamant that they are and that the bus it came from was a 1971 split window bus. Hence Brazilian.

Anyways, i backed out of the deal but still am very curious.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

Just an opinion- BUT- sticking with a more stock set up will save you a lot of grief down the road. Gear ratios can be changed a bit with out -re-thinking- the entire set up- and as far as I know the Brazilian supply of internal trans parts may be kinda hard to find down the road a bit.

I believe the samba technical section has the gear ratios and serial numbers- as does the "with out guess work " series. I have 2 cores - if your interested in a rebuild?

So- first would be interested in your power plant and figure out from the forums what ratio your looking for.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box confusion Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
All that i am looking at is the actual tranny. Not the axles. Was figuring the center section for a Brazilian split may be the same. Seller is pretty adamant that they are and that the bus it came from was a 1971 split window bus. Hence Brazilian.

Anyways, i backed out of the deal but still am very curious.

Weren't you originally asking about the 'transaxle, stock w reduction boxes'?
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reduction box and confusion. Brazilian vs. German. Reply with quote

Yup. Very much regret the title now. Should have been:

"Reduction box and transaxle confusion. Brazilian vs. German"

Maybe Everett could re-name it and potentially more people may have info.

Anyways...I had assumed 67 and older never even thinking Brazilian. No idea now if the center section, axles or reduction boxes are the same but i am certain someone here knows.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: