Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical issues
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Hi Samba Family,
I bring to you an electrical puzzle. My 86 Vanagon has always had a left rear brake light issue for 4 years or so. Upon braking, the left rear brake light would not light up. In addition to that, when I turned the headlight switch on, the right rear turn signal light would not turn on. However, when the headlight switch was off, the right turn signals would flash/work normal.

My good friend, a mechanic, tested the outlets and checked for shorts with a meter reader and couldn't find anything obvious. I ended up installing a new headlight switch and turn signal switch, which didn't fix anything. Since that time, I did install blue LED dash lights, a GoWesty Auxillary Battery Kit and a Solar Panel to run the inside lights and stereo. These more recent changes had no effect on the brake light/turn signal problem. When I purchased the Van, someone had already installed a GoWesty Stereo Toggle Switch.

So, I just ignored it till last weekend, when my headlights completely shut off, while I was driving at 5am to go surf, through a dark roadway with no lighting - that was interesting. At this point, I'm forced to fix it myself, or, take it somewhere and potentially be charged a lot of labor costs to diagnose the problem. I love working on my van, but, electrical has always been an intimidating subject. Let me summarize the issues:

-Braking:
1. Left rear brake light off

-Parking light/Headlight switch off:
1. Left turn signal lights front/back - flashing normal
2. Right turn signal lights front/back - flashing normal , but, also left front/back yellow lights faintly flashing as well.

-Parking light switch on only:
1. Front left/right yellow lights on, Back right rear and side runner lights on, Back left yellow light off and left side runner light off.

-Head light switch on:
1. No headlights high/low beams on, dash light stuck on high beams.
2. Same Parking light switch issues as mentioned above.
3. Left rear brake light not on when brakes applied
4. Right rear turn signal light no on with signaling.

-Dashboard:
1. Dash lights come on/off intermittently

I'm going to open her up this weekend and check the grounds first thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues and possible fixes. Any suggestions are welcome and thank you everyone for your comments.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Many mechanics are not automotive electricians. We are cheap skates in the United States and unwilling to pay for professional training for mechanics.
If you have access to a Bentley manual read then study the electrical section. Only then read and study the wiring diagrams.
Test both the power and ground circuits. Repair the fault. Your problem is fixed.
Short cutting any steps is simply BS and your results will reflect it. Carefully consider that an eight grade education will not fit your problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

The main headlight problem is common and easy, a missing ground connection. I usually fix it by grounding the left and right headlights individually, to the body right behind each headlight assembly. The factory used a single ground for both sides, running a wire to the grounding star at the left dash end near the fuse/relay panel. That ground star is where the problem ground is. The ground star may be a corroded mess.

For the rear light issues, again ground problems are indicated. I would start by fixing one side at a time but with the other side completely removed while you do it. Then fix the other side while again completely removing the first side. The work should done with the bulb holder separated from the lens assembly so you can see the bare bulbs and the filaments inside. Don't do this in bright sunlight, find a shaded place to work. The main ground point for the rear lights is in the engine compartment, left side. Make sure each rear side works correctly by itself before testing again with both sides connected.

Mark
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I will check the grounds for front and back and let you know.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the advice. My headlights are working again. I cleaned off both grounding crowns with steel wool. I also cut off all the old ground connectors and replaced them with new ones. In the process, I found some damaged wires, which I was happy to cut out and renew.

I'm still having tail light issues and turn signal issues. My next step is to clean up the ground for these rear lights manana.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: