Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A coupe wind wing glass or pattern
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Need wind wing glass for my 57 A coupe. If you have them on your car a paper pattern of them would help me greatly.

Thanks in advance. Dan
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Is it flat glass? Never looked close before
https://www.stoddard.com/64454310200-nla.html.html

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Thanks for looking, that is quarter window glass. I need wind wing glass and the A glass is different than the B an C cars. I already called stoddard about it. Dan
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

There's a Speedster replica owner that makes replicas and supplies them to SierraMadre. Is that what you are looking for? They are Lexan though.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Wing-Window-Set-Speedster-p28343.html
Brad Ripley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this the vent wing you are referring to?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Brad Ripley wrote:

Is this the vent wing you are referring to?

Yes, knew someone would get it. Just need the patern and will have local glass shop make me one.

Dan
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

My car, you can see the lower part of the wing bracket. Getting it ready to sell. Been mine for 38 years. Dan

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

If it's flat glass and you have the other side the glass shop can use it for a pattern.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Don’t have the glass and never did. When I bought the car they were missing.

Dan
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

If you have the frame just hold some stiff cardboard next to it and draw a pattern and cut it out and fit it until you get it right and have them make the glass from it or just take the car to them and say make them, it's easy and they do stuff like that when some one comes in with a busted out wind wing. Try a different shop if they don't know what you want.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
If you have the frame just hold some stiff cardboard next to it and draw a pattern and cut it out and fit it until you get it right and have them make the glass from it or just take the car to them and say make them, it's easy and they do stuff like that when some one comes in with a busted out wind wing. Try a different shop if they don't know what you want.

The frame does not fit 360 around the glass making it tough to get an exact trace. Anybody else have this setup on their A model?

356 registry wants $$$ to sign up.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Let me be a bit more clear. (1) Hold the cardboard next to frame. (2) Trace the frame inner edge. (3) Cut out along line leaving extra material where there is no frame. (4) Fit the cardboard into the frame and close wind wing. (5) with door glass up, you can now see where the cardboard needs to be cut. Now the glass shop will have a pattern. Or you can wait for someone to respond with a pattern. You can also sell the car as is, as some missing glass won't deter someone who wants that clean 356 as it didn't deter you from buying it.
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

I need to make these ..to add to my other wings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbrewer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Let me be a bit more clear. (1) Hold the cardboard next to frame. (2) Trace the frame inner edge. (3) Cut out along line leaving extra material where there is no frame. (4) Fit the cardboard into the frame and close wind wing. (5) with door glass up, you can now see where the cardboard needs to be cut. Now the glass shop will have a pattern. Or you can wait for someone to respond with a pattern. You can also sell the car as is, as some missing glass won't deter someone who wants that clean 356 as it didn't deter you from buying it.

The Porsche has 1 piece windows, Its not like the Bug in the picture. The vent windows he's referring aren't factory and mount on the outside.

MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Here you go
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2153672

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
donco735
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
My car, you can see the lower part of the wing bracket. Getting it ready to sell. Been mine for 38 years. Dan

My 58 coupe has them. Send me a PM with your address and I will mail you a template.

Ps: Nice 57 coupe
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Thanks, you are a back-up as I have another member sending a pattern. Are yours made from plexi or real glass. I have conflicting info on what is correct.

Dan
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Or mine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

copellos wrote:
Or mine

Not like mine. Mine are the same as donco's
donco735
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A coupe wind wing glass or pattern Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Are yours made from plexi or real glass. I have conflicting info on what is correct.

Dan

Mine are glass. The glass is the same thickness as early VW beetle vent windows. They have the "Duro - Sekurit" etching in the lower corner. As far as I know, they were only offered as a Porsche factory installed option (as opposed to dealer installed), although I have seen a few scarce NOS-NLA new ones in the wrapper on the web in past years.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: