Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heat riser tube single port
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Hello my VW car does not get driven that much. I have some water droplets on my intake manifold up by the under the carb. It has a solex 30-1 pic, 1300cc engine single port. I did clean out the heat riser tube awhile ago but how long does the engine normally take to warm up so the water droplets are not there??? My heat riser tube seems to be cold. I have been working on the car so it does not really get driven yet. My exhaust is not stock as it has a GT style exhaust on it with heat riser ports.
I usually run the engine in my garage for only about 5 minutes or so while I have been working on it. Thanks !!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

The heat riser needs to get hot for the engine to function properly.
Starting and running the engine for 5 minutes at a time is not going to get it up to proper temp to boil out condensed moisture from the crankcase. Or warm up the heat risers enough to prevent the intake manifold from condensating.
Are the heat riser ports on the exhaust drilled? The drilled passages. Allow hot exhaust gasses to pass from one side of the heat riser to the other. Heating the intake manifold.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

That GT style exhaust will never flow right to warm up the intake as it should. It's just not made right. All off the aftermarket ones are made incorrectly to get exhaust flow through the riser.

Either it needs to be modified to work correctly, you put a stock exhaust back on, or you live with it. Thoes are about your only options.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! The heat riser tubes were drilled and sealed back up. I was able to run a cable through it ! The non stock exhaust system makes sense too.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

narrowfarm wrote:
Thanks for the info! The heat riser tubes were drilled and sealed back up. I was able to run a cable through it ! The non stock exhaust system makes sense too.

Dont understand what the heat riser tubes were drilled and sealed back up means.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

My guess is they drilled through the corners where the center horizontal tube angle down to the muffler, and they then reamed across, afterwards closing up the holes.

While I totally agree that heat riser setups on non-stock exhausts are not designed at all for any kind of directional flow, sometimes they do actually work kinda-sorta OK.

Long ago, I did a bit of a (winter-time!) temperature survey on my stock-exhaust 40HP, then followed by one on my definitely non-stock dual port Baja, which has a header and a quiet pack muffler. I was actually rather surprised as to how well the heat riser setup worked despite the header (now, this was with a very clean and clear heat riser!)

Link to that thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=27

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Duuhhhh - yeah that's probably what they mean....And yeah I have had similar results where there seemed to be a bit of heat with a header. I am sure its not as good as a correct design, but it has worked for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Mine, 1971 DP engine. Look at heat riser on right side of engine, hole has been plugged and brazed shut.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Ok Cusser, would you please shift the camera just a little towards the right, some of the image is cut off on that side! Nice rear..... engine.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Ok Cusser, would you please shift the camera just a little towards the right, some of the image is cut off on that side! Nice rear..... engine.

Bug On!

Well, that engine is now installed in my 1970; I hope you're partially teasing me, as I'd have to walk outside 50 feet to take a new photo !!! Will these photos suffice? The access holes have been plugged with very short sheet metal screws and brazed shut.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Cleaning heat risers - this has worked for me 75% of the time.

Have a couple pieces of old clutch cable or some other similar stranded wire cable. First one is maybe 8 or so inches long. Next one is maybe 16 and the last one close to 24".

Get a pair of HEAVY leather gloves.

Chuck the shortest cable into your drill and you will probably have the drill on reverse because you do NOT want the cable to unravel.

Run the cable into one side and then the other untill it bottoms out. You can then run the cable through in the reverse direction to unravel a bit and it will open up the tube more. shake out debris from tube.

Use the 16" cable and repeat. Then do the 24" cable.

Don't get crazy with the drill speed or pressure and work it in and out as you go. The last thing you want to do is snap the cable inside. If you do, the intake is junk.

There are other methods on here using an oxy acetylene torch and a few other ways, but this usually works for me.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Cleaning heat risers - this has worked for me 75% of the time.

Have a couple pieces of old clutch cable or some other similar stranded wire cable. First one is maybe 8 or so inches long. Next one is maybe 16 and the last one close to 24".

Get a pair of HEAVY leather gloves.

Chuck the shortest cable into your drill and you will probably have the drill on reverse because you do NOT want the cable to unravel.

Run the cable into one side and then the other untill it bottoms out. You can then run the cable through in the reverse direction to unravel a bit and it will open up the tube more. shake out debris from tube.

Use the 16" cable and repeat. Then do the 24" cable.

Don't get crazy with the drill speed or pressure and work it in and out as you go. The last thing you want to do is snap the cable inside. If you do, the intake is junk.

There are other methods on here using an oxy acetylene torch and a few other ways, but this usually works for me.

Steel cable procedure did not work for me.

Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

Whoosh... Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Cusser, I said it worked 75% of the time. Just think, maybe next time it will for you...or maybe after 2 more times it will Laughing Honestly, I cross my fingers every time I start on one.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Hello again. exactly what i did started with short cable with drill in reverse and worked my way up to longer cables. the riser pipe is now open. i did this about a year ago. i just took off the intake manifold today and heat riser tube is still unblocked!!! blows air and water through the heat riser tube easy ! ihave the heat riser tube filled with coke cola and cleaning agent Alconox while i wait for new gasket kit to come in mail. i also ordered the other day 12 volt motorcycle hand warmers kit that i may try to wrap around the intake manifold to help warm the manifold along with aluminum foil and insulation on that long intake manifold. just trying to atomize the gas the best possible in this old engine. GT exhaust may be hurting me .
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

Empi needs to bring back the header with the heat riser set up, built in again. Cool

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
Empi needs to bring back the header with the heat riser set up, built in again. Cool

But that would mean they would be producing a quality part, something which the modern day Empi is incapable of doing.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

wowsers, someone actually used the two words "EMPI" and "quality" in the same sentence! I didn't think that was possible. Twisted Evil

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: heat riser tube single port Reply with quote

A sand blaster can also help remove build up in the tube.
Make sure the intake is clean of all sand before use!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: