Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1915cc Engine Combo? - Now Building
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: 1915cc Engine Combo? - Now Building Reply with quote

Looking for advice on a combo that's starting to come together for my super beetle. Here's what I have.

AS41 case, full flowed, case savers
DPR CW 69mm crank .010 mains, .020 rods
Stock Rods
AA 69x94 P&C's
Empi Straight Cut Gears
Double thrust cam bearings, steel backed mains
HD 26 oil pump
Full flow oil pump cover
C Moly pushrods
HD Single springs
Bolt together 1.1:1 rockers w/elephant feet
043 heads (slightly larger than stock valves, will probably port and polish along with 3 angle valve job and new guides)
Stock Heater boxes (I NEED GOOD HEAT)
1 3/8" header possibly with High Mount Hideaway
Dual 40 IDFs with CB manifolds and linkage, Velocity stacks
Bolt on valve covers
36hp style shroud, alternator, OEM tin.

Does that all seem like a good fit for each other? I'm undecided on a cam so far, but it'll probably be an Engle W110 or W120 with matching lifters. I want to keep my stock heater boxes since they work really well and aren't expensive, this car is driven through winter so heat is important.

Any suggestions/comments/concerns?

Also, on a side note, does anyone happen to know the correct length crossbar for a CB linkage set up? This is a stock width engine with CB offset manifolds and filters and 40 IDFs

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/

Last edited by allamaabroad on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Generally OK. Do you know the exact valve sizes on those 043 heads? Reason I ask is that the 1 3/8" header size would be best for the exhaust valve being no larger than 32mm.

If you choose the Engle 120 cam, it should be run with dual valve springs. Is your head cut for dual springs? If not, then I'd recommend a cam for single HD springs. Although I've not used it and therefore have no experience, the Webcam 163 is described as between the 110 and 120 but still utilizing single springs.

Straight-cut cam gears would not be needed on this engine, IMO. Stock ones will be sufficient, especially when you are going to use single HD valve springs.

Do you know the venturi size on the Webers? If you have the carbs already, you can look down any of the throats and hopefully read the venturi size cast into the top. Examples would be 28, 30, or 32.

The CB hex crossbar length is dependant on the type of intake manifolds you have. You can get manifolds that position the carbs slightly closer to the narrower 36hp fan shrouds than on stock shrouds. Difference is the angle at the base (where manifold attaches to head) and at top. Such a manifold is "steeper"/straighter than ones for a stock shroud so that the crossbar would be shorter. I have a hex crossbar from a stock-shroud dual-port engine with conventional manifolds, which is 21.0" wide. Many years ago I bought a parts Beetle that had a 36hp narrow fan shroud and cheapie CB hex kit that had plastic instead of aluminum arms that mounted on the hex bar and went to the down-rods. That bar is 20.5" wide.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Expect about 104HP from that combo.

The limiting factors are the cam, carbs, and exhaust.

What is your expectation of HP for your build?
And what is the intent of the build?
Weekend driver? DD? Light to light Mustang surpriser?

More info is needed.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Not a fan of the 110, or 120. Had a 110 in a 1776 that was similar with a little bigger heads, and switched to a Crower 61004 on a refresh, and it was night/day different. The Crower pulled from idle, and about 1k rpms farther than the 110. With the smaller heads, I’d go to a 61003.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Cb straight cuts
Web163
HD alloy push rods...
Good single springs
1 1/2" exhaust with 2" outlet... Most are too big like 2.5" or something...
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

This car is my daily driver, though I wouldn’t mind being able to surprise some mustangs here an there. As far as my selections go, I’m trying to stay away from buying bigger heads and exhaust and what not because once you buy one thing, it all kinda snowballs from there. I have access to all the tooling and machines to do all the machine work and the heads and everything, so this is just a sweep the floor motor for me.

Carbs currently have 28mm vents, but I can swap them out to whatever is more suitable.

As far as the hex bar goes, I’m have CB offset style manifolds. The carbs came with the CB linkage kit and everything but the guy I bought it from no longer had the cross bar. I just don’t want to order the wrong one.

What kind of alloy pushrods? I already have these stock length c moly pushrods just sitting around.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

1914, with stock heater boxes, no need for more duration than the Web 163.
The Crower is a split dur cam, with split the wrong way. Well at least if you want torque. Those types of cams will rev high, but they are quite dirty out tof the exhaust pipe. On the other side, if you have an engine with "limited" exhaust there is definitely an idea of using such a cam.

1914, daily driver. Tims Super stock ported. 9-1 CR. Web 163, maybe with 1,25 rockers, or FK42 w. 1,3 rockers. NO friggen straight cuts. (In a month you´ll be so glad you did´nt use them) 40 IDF´s w. 30 mm venturies. stock heater boxes. Regular 1 3/8" header with a cone type outlet to muffler pipe and a good 2" expansion type or free flow muffler and you will be in the 120 hp area with loads of usable torque.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
1914, with stock heater boxes, no need for more duration than the Web 163.
The Crower is a split dur cam, with split the wrong way. Well at least if you want torque. Those types of cams will rev high, but they are quite dirty out tof the exhaust pipe. On the other side, if you have an engine with "limited" exhaust there is definitely an idea of using such a cam.

1914, daily driver. Tims Super stock ported. 9-1 CR. Web 163, maybe with 1,25 rockers, or FK42 w. 1,3 rockers. NO friggen straight cuts. (In a month you´ll be so glad you did´nt use them) 40 IDF´s w. 30 mm venturies. stock heater boxes. Regular 1 3/8" header with a cone type outlet to muffler pipe and a good 2" expansion type or free flow muffler and you will be in the 120 hp area with loads of usable torque.

Straight cuts are just what we use at my shop (Blackline Racing) for anything over a W100. Just helps everything last longer.

Are Tim's heads something that could be "copied" with some hand porting and polishing? Currently, I have a really nice set of heads and way more time than I have money. Also, I love learning how to do stuff myself.

As far as exhaust, I have a standard header already, and I was thinking of doing a high mount hideaway style, just so its up and out of the way. I've had bad luck with mufflers that hang below the rear apron, I swear they bottom out on curbs no matter what

Distributors are lame

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Well, on that account we disagree wildly. I never use straight cuts on the street up to, and with a Web 86B unless the customer specificly asks for it. No problems, not even on nippy bus engines that covers a lot of miles. I have even used normal helical type gear on a Web 86C, but I cheated a little, with Pieper lifters, Aluminum PR´s, outer CB 650 springs and Ti retaners. Revs clean to 7200 where I shut it off.
That said, some cams are so agressive on the ramps that straights are a good idea, but those cams are - again - not something I would use in a street engine. Take for instance the everso popular W110. In a given set up it will rev to 6500 rpms before valve float. Take the same valve train and put it on top of a Web 163 and it will rev clean to 6900 AND make more usable power, AND be milder on the valve train. CB has some cams in their range that are really good too.

With the Tims SS heads. Sure, you can copy all you want. Who knows maybe you can make it even better. Wink

T
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

I would use stock gears before using empi straight cuts. The 2515s with the big peanut shaped holes are just scary. There have been reports of many of these Magnum copies not being straight and hole areas collapsing. If you want straight cuts, I would get real magnums from Brothers or CB's straight cuts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Well, on that account we disagree wildly. I never use straight cuts on the street up to, and with a Web 86B unless the customer specificly asks for it. No problems, not even on nippy bus engines that covers a lot of miles. I have even used normal helical type gear on a Web 86C, but I cheated a little, with Pieper lifters, Aluminum PR´s, outer CB 650 springs and Ti retaners. Revs clean to 7200 where I shut it off.
That said, some cams are so agressive on the ramps that straights are a good idea, but those cams are - again - not something I would use in a street engine. Take for instance the everso popular W110. In a given set up it will rev to 6500 rpms before valve float. Take the same valve train and put it on top of a Web 163 and it will rev clean to 6900 AND make more usable power, AND be milder on the valve train. CB has some cams in their range that are really good too.

With the Tims SS heads. Sure, you can copy all you want. Who knows maybe you can make it even better. Wink

T

Theres actually a customers set of Tims SS heads at the shop. So maybe a template for the ports and learning some porting theory and what not and I'm sure I can make something. The set of heads I have I believe are 37x32 valves. I'm just trying to get some ideas to bring to the table while deciding what cam to go with, and once thats all done, carbs will be jetted and vents put in to suit the motor.

Distributors are lame

allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Just an update on this thread, turns out the heads I have are 39x32 041 heads. What are people's thoughts on these?

Also, I feel pretty well decided on either the web 163 or web 110, both just on 1.1 rockers because that's what I have already, but maybe I can find some 1.25s somewhere.

Distributors are lame

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

IMO too large of intake for stock VW heaterboxes
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
Just an update on this thread, turns out the heads I have are 39x32 041 heads. What are people's thoughts on these?

Also, I feel pretty well decided on either the web 163 or web 110, both just on 1.1 rockers because that's what I have already, but maybe I can find some 1.25s somewhere.

I ran a 1914 for years but had 042 with 40x35.5 and an Erson VW200 cam. Loved that cam. (441 lift 280 duration @106 lobe center) Loved it so much I got another one for the 2276 I’m putting together. Decided on a web 86a w/ 1.4rockers instead so the Erson is available. It has matched lifters too.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:

OK. This changes the picture a little. I know what The Berg family say about this valve combo, but I do not aggree. If you do it right these heads can and will work well.
First you have to realize that stock heaterboxes are good for no more than
120 hp in street trim (Racing is different)
With that in mind and the cam range you are talking about you should port the snot out of the exhaust ports (while keeping up port velocity of course) and only do a very mild massage of the intake ports along with a good valve & seat job. This will keep the I/E ratio at a decent level. Here a Crower 61004 cam would come in really handy. 9-1 CR. If the 1 3/8" header is the chioce then make SURE that you hook it up to a good free flow muffler or if you like it classic, a dual sgl quiet muffler, so you keep back pressure down to its minimum.
T
PS. If you still want to use what you already have you can use 1,25 rockers on exhaust alone. It will not give you the same as with a Crower cam, but it will help the exhaust valve do it´s job as supposed.
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
OK. This changes the picture a little. I know what The Berg family say about this valve combo, but I do not aggree. If you do it right these heads can and will work well.
First you have to realize that stock heaterboxes are good for no more than
120 hp in street trim (Racing is different)
With that in mind and the cam range you are talking about you should port the snot out of the exhaust ports (while keeping up port velocity of course) and only do a very mild massage of the intake ports along with a good valve & seat job. This will keep the I/E ratio at a decent level. Here a Crower 61004 cam would come in really handy. 9-1 CR. If the 1 3/8" header is the chioce then make SURE that you hook it up to a good free flow muffler or if you like it classic, a dual sgl quiet muffler, so you keep back pressure down to its minimum.
T
PS. If you still want to use what you already have you can use 1,25 rockers on exhaust alone. It will not give you the same as with a Crower cam, but it will help the exhaust valve do it´s job as supposed.

Alstrup, what muffler would you suggest? I like the idea of a hideaway muffler just so it’s out of harms way, but I’m not so sure if this style flows well enough.

That 61004 is a really interesting cam, I don't have a cam yet and I really like the specs on that and it looks like a great choice for this situation. I see the 61005 which has about the same ratio, same duration, but a bit more lift on both valves. How aggressive is the 61004 on the valve train? Would the 61005 be too much?

Distributors are lame

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

The regular hideaway that comes with a 1 3/8" system is not good for more than 80-85 hp before it becomes a restrictor. You could take a hideaway muffler from a merge header and modify it so that it hooks up wiith the small header. That muffler is good for 135ish hp.

The 61004 will work fine with Scat HD sgl springs, cromo retainers & 0,035" cromo push rods.

If you keep the stock heaterboxes there is no idea in going more aggressive on the cam. You will only get a narrower powerband. If you can´t get it out you can´t get it in.
T
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

Perfect. What lifters do crower cams like to be run with? I can get a great deal on Engle lifters or get SLR'd stock lifters for a great deal as well. I'm pretty unfamiliar with crower but seems like you have a decent amount of experience with them to know what it'd like.

Distributors are lame

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

It comes down to the cam blank it is ground on. Get the cam first, find out what blank it is, order lifters then.
T
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc Engine Combo? Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:

I have a 1915 with 041 heads and an Engle 110 cam and used heater boxes because i didnt want to be cold in the winter. It could beat an '89 Mustang GT through the 1/4 mile. Engine was built in '89 and I am rebuilding the engine now, I think it lasted pretty well.

I will be getting panchito's heads and a different cam for this build though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: