Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

As a guy who HAS run outta gas, I've been thinking about this. My other cars have all kinda bells & whistles that warn of low fuel. As my own memory gets worse, my other vehicles offer "crutches" to help.

But then there's the Van. And the miles range is less too. Easy to forget. Each time we go on a trip I have a 'little fuel scare" to remind me that there are no reminders. As some fellers say, the adventureneverends.... Wink

I often see vans with a red plastic gallon can ontop (sometimes very faded Wink ) and others strapped on the back, rotopax etc, but I want something secure, and hidden. So I am thinking bolting a couple gallons under the floor. With a reasonable un-bolting process that won't take longer than calling AAA. I don't envision using it often, mostly just refreshing the gas every year or so.

So I made a low profile, long skinny aluminum tank, it's 24x8x3 inches = 2.2 gallons = ~35 miles

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Incidentally it fits above the rear wheel too (in the fender) but my 27.8" tires (BFG 215/75R15 A/T KO) will touch it at the same time as the bottom-out bumper touches. So it would scrub pretty hard during a HARD bottom-out. It could be a little thinner (reduce to 1.3 gal) or could be used with smaller tires like 26.5", (but not by me).

It requires a funnel that pokes the flap inside the fuel filler. For example the cut-off upper portion of a fuel-injector-cleaner bottle.

Any thoughts?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

I need something like this. Something that I won't include in my DTE calculation so that when I exceed it it's there to get me to the next gas station in BFE BC or eastern WA.

I wonder if my Propex is positioned to leave as much space as yours.

Regardless, it doesn't look as silly as "one more thing bolted to the outside of the van so you can go to the AdventureVan gathering near Tahoe and look slightly more ridiculous than the van next to you". Sadly, my van is beginning to look like that.

Do you have any useful practice versions that you'll part with?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

You can also use it to help a stranded motorist. Depending on how 'easy' it is to unbolt.

Jim the length is 24 inch (not counting the filler cap) but it could be any length. I'm sure I will make a couple of them to practice welding aluminum Wink But there are some dibs going already. I'll add your dib Wink If they are fun, I'll make more - if no fun I'll make less.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

It looks beautiful.

But I'd never run a nonstock fuel tank, particularly mounted in a crush zone like that, due to the liability it would present to me if there was to be an injury accident.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Women never run out of gas because they are smarter than us. Most don’t even know there is a warning light on their modern car.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

here's a question.... is 2 gallons enough fuel to have the pump re-prime when the tank is run dry? with the fuel pickup in the dead center, the van would have to be perfectly level.

that said, if gas was added at the "Oh crap, I'm running out" level BEFORE the engine died, one should be good.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

It is enough on a Syncro tank, like the OP is working with.

Mark

DanHoug wrote:
here's a question.... is 2 gallons enough fuel to have the pump re-prime when the tank is run dry? with the fuel pickup in the dead center, the van would have to be perfectly level.

that said, if gas was added at the "Oh crap, I'm running out" level BEFORE the engine died, one should be good.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

D'Oh! my bad.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

No, you made a good point. Running completely out on most vans can turn into more of a problem than just adding a gallon or 2 of gas will fix.

Mark

DanHoug wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

D'Oh! my bad.
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Women never run out of gas because they are smarter than us. Most don’t even know there is a warning light on their modern car.

This is very true when the wife says, OH you can take my car to town AKA it needs gas. That is the only time I drive it.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

allenw wrote:
Abscate wrote:

This is very true when the wife says, OH you can take my car to town AKA it needs gas. That is the only time I drive it.

Wow, thanks for that.
NOW, I have proof that she does this on purpose AND this technique must be in the secret “female instruction manual” that no male ever sees.
It’s like the flashing clock led on your VCR.

Love the gas tank OP, I see a small pet cock valve that’s servo driven from inside the cab.
Put in on the inlet side of the pump so it feeds into the system when needed by you.

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Plumbed in has venting and all kinda other trouble. And then it needs to be bigger than 2 gal. Simple method for (occasional) removal is good enough.

Several times the needle has gotten real low but I made it to a gas station. Sometimes backtracked which is demoralizing. But not as bad as “out”.

This is good info for members! I had a 2wd and never knew that. So for a 2wd, how much more than 2gal do you need? I think most times when I see a red can on someone’s Westy fwd luggage area its an air-cooled van (and 1gal can). Its like a rite of passage. Seems like it would get stolen.

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 am; edited 4 times in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

nice little tank, too many times while on trips either I don't like the 'feel' of the gas station I'm forced to use or it's no longer open and have to search with a pit of despair in my stomach.. 2 things that take some fun out of a trip.
I have a 7-9 gallon spare tire fuel tank kit. offered in the mid eighties. in lieu of my spare tire..

but I've also added an larger propane tank in my van under the sliding door. (7gal capacity)

but you can add a low fuel warning light to your van, there are some DIY kits in the electronics world.. have to do some sleuthing as it's not a largely advertised item.. here's one example.
https://www.spiyda.com/miniature-low-fuel-warning-light-module-2.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Serious note - can you guys in CA get into trouble with CARB, and mods to emission systems, of which EVAP is a real big one?

Something to consider.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Serious note - can you guys in CA get into trouble with CARB, and mods to emission systems, of which EVAP is a real big one?

Something to consider.

The can in this thread is not vented. What is the vapor pressure of gasoline at 130*F in a non-vented can?

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Something to consider.

The can in this thread is not vented. What is the vapor pressure of gasoline at 130*F in a non-vented can?

Reid Vapor pressure is specified at 38C, or about 95F and is something like 50-60 kPa depending on area. Thats about 1/2 atm pressure, i.e., high.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Nice work! Very elegant... Cool

I certainly COULD see using a tank like that for adding a diesel heater...???

Barely off-topic, but since I can't weld or anything cool I went a different route for my 2WD:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8883865&highlight=#8883865

Anyway, back to you guys... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Sodo wrote:
What is the vapor pressure of gasoline at 130*F in a non-vented can?

Reid Vapor pressure is specified at 38C, or about 95F and is something like 50-60 kPa depending on area. Thats about 1/2 atm pressure, i.e., high.

If those little yellow plastic caps can hold it on a red plastic can, I wouldn't call it "high".
Dumbed down a little for TheSamba, is this correct? Wink Wink

-------> at 95F, vapor pressure would be about 7psi.

Wonder what the pressure is at .... say .... 130F?
Like if some feller hides that aluminum tank on the rooftop luggage area?
(where they carry the red plastic cans)

edit....

OK so it's not a lot. Less than 12psi.
And e10 wold be less than that.
Pretty sure my aluminum tank can hold multiples of 12psi

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

I'm a worrier, you all have figured that by now right?

I carry parts,
I carry tools,
I carry a tow bar,
And
I carry gas.

Two small cans, a one gallon and a one and a half gallon.
Red plastic, seal up absolutely leak proof.
When I fill them, I leave some air space and squeeze the can as I tighten the lid.
Doing this, when they expand in the heat of the sun, they aren't buldging.

I also abhor the sight of gas cans on the roof.
I picked up some dry bags, I put my tow bar in one, three one gallon jugs of distilled water in another and the gas cans in a third.
All three bags are securely tied onto the roof.

In two years, I've never needed any of these items but the peace of mind they provide to me is totally worth the effort it takes to have them.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2 gallon fuel tank (...a get outta jail card) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:

No problem at all, I've been given a 5lt tank of fuel once when I ran out and it started right up
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: