Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the bulb number is to get a double filament amber park light bulb/bulb holder at either O'Reillys or Auto zone? Or maybe be able to link me to another thread of someone else turning their park lights into park lights and blinkers. thank you in advance . Smile
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Not sure if the LAPS has them, at least the two places you posted. BUT everybody else has them. Search 1157 amber bulb. OR search 2057 amber bulb. (motorcycle bulb...more filament support)
VW Wiring = It's just wires

Last edited by runamoc on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

It's an 1157A bulb.

BTW, the difference between an 1157 and 2057 is the filament rating/brightness:
1157 Low = 8.3w High = 26.8w
2057 Low = 6.7w High = 26.8w
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Thank you
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

OK, an 1157NA is a dual filament bulb with amber tinted glass. Now the rear brake light bulb is dual filament along with marker lights, but those are red. As for amber there is no such place to put one in a 66. The front fender lights are only for turns and the parking lights are in the headlight buckets.

Now you could use the front turn light assemblies off of a 68 or 69 Beetle and rewire the car to feed them. That is what I have set up in my Baja Bug.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Just to clarify what I've done is rewired the park lights (inside the headlight bucket) to be blinkers (which is why I want amber) but since that bulb is a single filament bulb it wont stay on solid (for the park light position) and blink (for blinkers) I need a double filament bulb to have park lights as well as blinkers inside the headlight bucket currently my park lights don't "stay on" as "park lights" they blink to use as blinkers also just to ad all other lights work just fine. I'm doing this because. I've shaved the blinker housing on top of the fenders.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

First of all, blinkers in the headlight buckets is never a good idea, you can hardly see them when the headlights are on. As someone who thinks being seen is a good thing, I would never do that, but to each his own.

Second, I've never seen a bulbholder in the bottom of the headlight bucket that supports a dual filament bulb.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
First of all, blinkers in the headlight buckets is never a good idea, you can hardly see them when the headlights are on. As someone who thinks being seen is a good thing, I would never do that, but to each his own.

I wired my '65's parking lights to stay on with the headlamps, so that if a headlight bulb burned out, I'd still look like a car, not a motorcycle, to oncoming traffic. So I kept them there and also kept the turn signals. Like you said, safety and visibility outweigh cool.

glutamodo wrote:
Second, I've never seen a bulbholder in the bottom of the headlight bucket that supports a dual filament bulb.

Yup, I think the glass of the bulb is larger than the hole it must poke up through.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Hah! well you can get around the too-small-hole issue with a 12V #1003 bulb, but while it is rather bright, it is still is only one filament.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

The bulb socket will obviously have to be replaced with one with two contacts for use with the dual filament bulb. Using an 1157/1156 size bulb in the parking light position of the early sloped headlight assembly is possible, but you have to install it from inside the housing after first removing the headlight bulb.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

You could wire up some relays like in this diagram.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could run the parking light power lead from the light switch to the 87a terminals of the R=R1, and R=L1 relays. The 87a “normally closed” terminal would create a constant contact for power. This power would be removed/disconnected when the turn signal switch would close the relay, and switch the power source for the bulb to the flasher. That way you could use one bulb with one filament.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Impressive. A lot of wires and relays. IMO it would be easier to use a 'Trailer Converter' if you wanted to go that route.

On the left side, wire the parking lights to the 'Brake' connection. Right and Left get connected to the cars turn signals. The right side of the converter goes to the lights you want in the headlights.

With parking lights 'on' both front lights would illuminate. Either turn signal from the car would cause the corresponding front light to blink.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Impressive. A lot of wires and relays. IMO it would be easier to use a 'Trailer Converter' if you wanted to go that route.

That’s simply a diagram someone posted that was already made up. You wouldn’t necessarily need to use the outer two relays, and the semaphore wiring wouldn’t be used. You may have to get creative with how everything is hooked up for a four way emergency flash. I used the entire diagram above on a 59 for solid power to semaphores, and flashing power to fender turn signals. Then added two relays with another flasher on kind of a separate circuit to use the fender lights for an emergency four way flash that omitted the semaphores.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The bulb socket will obviously have to be replaced with one with two contacts for use with the dual filament bulb. Using an 1157/1156 size bulb in the parking light position of the early sloped headlight assembly is possible, but you have to install it from inside the housing after first removing the headlight bulb.
The only issue with this is the 1157 bulbs have offset locking posts near the bottom. Single filament bulb posts are evenly offset.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
mukluk wrote:
The only issue with this is the 1157 bulbs have offset locking posts near the bottom. Single filament bulb posts are evenly offset.

The offset posts and dual contacts required to use an 1157 bulb would be dealt with by replacing the bulb socket, like I mentioned would be needed.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

you might be surprised what you can find if you google "7 inch headlight with amber turn signal"

options option options

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Vdubluver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

I'm more into the traditional "shaved yet still have the essentials look" not into those 7" halogens. I know the on going argument of "safety and can they be seen vs it just looks dope!" and I figured since it's the look I've wanted for a long time and now I have the ability to make it happen (and I'm 3/4 the way there) so Dope it is! haha Also I knew I'd have to change the socket I said bulb holder but was meaning socket guess the word just escaped me at the time. Also will there have to be any mods to the headlight bucket (aka the hole the bulb comes through in front of headlight) that anyone knows of? Or any others. looks like I have a lil wiggle room for a different socket but probably pretty tight. Idk guess I'll have to get them and just work with them thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

I went with a variation of the relay suggestion on my euro '60 as I have semaphores instead of fender mounted signals, but I also wanted flashing front and rear turn signals since I do drive the car regularly on public roads. I first tried using a trailer converter but that component very quickly failed, so I installed a pair of DPDT relays instead. Using the relay setup allows one to use mostly just the existing wiring and not have to run extra wires to the headlight assemblies or adapt a dual contact socket to fit in the limited space found in the headlight buckets. Amber 1156A bulbs were installed in the stock parking light sockets up front, each wire running to its respective terminal on the left and right side relay. The normally closed contacts of each relay have the parking light feed from the light switch attached, allowing normal parking light function, while the normally open contacts for the front lights connect them to the turn signal flasher output when the signals are switched on and the applicable relay is triggered. To extend the life of the bulbs I used the 57 terminal for the front parking lights, as that terminal is only powered when the light switch in the parking/first detent and is not powered in the off and headlight/second detent positions.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

Quote:
I have semaphores instead of fender mounted signals, but I also wanted flashing front and rear turn signals since I do drive the car regularly on public roads. I first tried using a trailer converter but that component very quickly failed

Why would you connect a semaphore to a trailer converter? It should have been connected to the input side of the converter.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Amber double filament park light bulbs for a 12 v 66 Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
I have semaphores instead of fender mounted signals, but I also wanted flashing front and rear turn signals since I do drive the car regularly on public roads. I first tried using a trailer converter but that component very quickly failed

Why would you connect a semaphore to a trailer converter? It should have been connected to the input side of the converter.

Since he went to the relay setup that has the semaphores “upstream” in the wiring, I’m assuming it was this way with the trailer converter. I think he was simply using the converter for the fender lights, and it just quit working on him.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: