Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan belt and being prepared
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a spare belt and tools to change it?
Yes
97%
 97%  [ 34 ]
No
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

So, last night, the wife and I went out to a party. Well, more of a gathering of friends and dinner, with a few cases of good beer. At around 10:00, I looked at the wife and said, "Lets go home. I want to see the ladies (my daughters) before they go out with their friends for the night." Plus, I was just tired.

We get in the Bug, and head towards home. Our house is less than a mile away. We leave the party and get in the Bug. As I approach the first stop sign, maybe a sixtenth of a mile, I allow the Bug up to rev up around 7500rpm, in first gear, because I am tired and lazy. When I release the gas pedal, the generator light comes on. I hear nothing odd. Seeing how I am in tune with this car. Everything is feeling good, no odd noises, but I am wondering, whats up? Why did the generator light come on? I tell the wife I am pulling over to have a look at the generator and belt, as those are my only two reasons for that light.

Well, I get to the curb. Turn off the engine, and walk to the back. Nothing smells hot, so all good. Open up the decklid and starring at me is an engine with no fan belt. Guessing that the belt was tossed because of a bad bearing, I test the generator by spinning it. All good. It feels good and sounds good. Started to look around for the belt. It was thrown off and landed on the top of the 3/4 cylinder side carburetor. Go figure.

So, I tell the wife it will be a minute or two while I get the belt back on, BECAUSE I DO NOT have a spare!!! Why do I not have a spare. I know better!!!
Not only do I not have a spare belt, I have no tools. None!!! All because I have not thought about it breaking down, since everything has been rebuilt or serviced over the last year plus.

Anyways, I root around in the trunk and found the lugnut wrench I purchased off Amazon, in its plastic packaging still. It has four different socket sizes on it - awesome. One of them was 3/4". It is not 19mm but close enough. Pulled the pulley nut and got the chewed up belt back on. Started up the car and drove home cautiously!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got home and went to bed. This morning I opened the lid to have a look. Thats what got me home.

So, moral of the story. A VW Bug owner MUST ALWAYS have a spare belt in the trunk and tools to change it. I also got lucky and parked under a street light. So, got lucky again. Since there was no flashlight in the car. One will find its way into the glovebox.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I put a new belt on every year and put the old one which is still good in the trunk with my tool kit (I keep 2 old ones incase I see a VW on the side with a busted belt). I use the best belt for ACVWs the "Dayco Top Cog" 17355. The cogs on top allow for maximum rubber in the pully and keep the belt cool as it flexes easer. $12.50 last time.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Your original VW tool kit came with a spare belt. There was a reason for this, so I always carry a spare and the tools to change it. Oddly enough, I haven’t had to (although I did, anyway) change my belt on my latest bug, so far. I suspect the belts must be superior to the originals.

I use Gates brand.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Dayco Top Cog or Gates for me.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Do you have a spare belt and tools to change it?

Yes, in both my VWs, always have had these. However, I've never had the belt break while driving.

However, my 1971 Convertible once broke its belt while my mom was driving it (about 1976/1977) and she kept driving, a few miles in Arizona summer. No damage, unless the oil cover stud falling out in 2003 was related to that !!! Another time she was driving it and the generator pulley self-destructed, at least she pulled over that time and found a pay phone.

Can someone explain to the younger folks what a pay phone was, please?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Can someone explain to the younger folks what a pay phone was, please?

Payphone saved me once- out in the mountains in WV. Even had to call collect since the coin slot was jammed.

How about a rotary phone, Cusser? My friends marveled at that thing everytime they would be at my house when I was in middle school. Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I have a spare with me always. It’s a smooth back not a cog back belt. Is that a really big deal? Having a spare belt is all I would need.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I carry many different spare parts in both mine Bugs and lots of tools. My weak link seems to be a flash light that I'm satisfied with. Seems that whenever I check them they don't work. Gotta find a remedy for that. I used to carry a 12v trouble light in my truck, but that was easy since the battery is under the hood.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I have a very small, silver, flashlight. It’s oval shaped, about two inches long, and could fit on a keychain. Pressing the side illuminates a very bright light. It’s been in my car for five years and still works on the original coin battery.

I use it once in a while to search for stuff I’ve dropped on the Bug floor when it’s dark outside. The only issue I have is that it only stays on by pressing it, but for changing a belt without a helper to direct the light, all you need is a few look-see’s, anyway.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Living in a small town and distances between them do carry a spare belt, and the needed tools to swap it out. On the type three well it will still cool.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
lacolin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I have a spare belt. I agree its a great thing to have.
Since nobody commented, can I assume 7500 rpm in 1st gear is normal for you guys??? If thats normal driving, I would carry three spare belts! My car won't even get past 5500.

colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

get more than the stock tool kit, spare fuses, wire, wire nuts, electrical tape, jug of drinking water. flares, plastic poncho and or tarp bright color reflector vest, spare tire filled to max pressure, pressure gage, points, cap, rotor, plugs, at least one longest spark plug wire, jumper cables, flash light check batteries often, at least 3 quart oil, gas can, rope, gloves, over all's or cardboard to lay on, piece of wood for jack base in soft soil, brake fluid, fuel hose, vacuum hose. bailing wire, respectable size fire extinguisher, first aid kit, space blanket. coins in the ash tray for phone calls Wink now days have enough for a gallon of gas, paper, pencil (pens can dry out, leak) pocket knife ( can sharpen pencil) maps, spool of paper towels, medications if needed, small nap sack that can hold water jug and some supplies. In cold season carry spare warm jacket, hat, umbrella, etc.... in car as needed

Im old school, pre cell phone, we learnt to be prepared to handle emergencies on our own.

Bug On, Like a Boy Scout, Prepared!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022

Last edited by bluebus86 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

PS I cringed when I started to read the story, until you got to the part about pulling over immediately, Then I knew the Bug would be ok. I have read too many sad accounts of folks not pulling over when the light comes on.

Good Job, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I have a very small, silver, flashlight. It’s oval shaped, about two inches long, and could fit on a keychain. Pressing the side illuminates a very bright light. It’s been in my car for five years and still works on the original coin battery.

I use it once in a while to search for stuff I’ve dropped on the Bug floor when it’s dark outside. The only issue I have is that it only stays on by pressing it, but for changing a belt without a helper to direct the light, all you need is a few look-see’s, anyway.

Tim

I found modern LED flashlights have one common problem, they keep working fairly bright even on a basically dead battery that could not light a regular light bulb. hence I have had led lamp I thought were fine, tested bright, but it rapidly went dim, no significant capacity left in the battery. I also have opened "working" LED flash lights to find leaky batteries, barely putting out 1.3 volts.

So to really test an LED light battery, read the voltage of each cell. Dont depend on the bulb lighting as a sign the battery is up to the job anymore.

Bug On!

streetstock70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

got my belt replaced

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

As I approach the first stop sign, maybe a sixtenth of a mile, I allow the Bug up to rev up around 7500rpm, in first gear, because I am tired and lazy. When I release the gas pedal, the generator light comes on.

Say what? Shocked

Shame on you for not having a spare. You of all people should know better than to roll without a spare belt and basic tools to change it.

I'm not gonna carry all the shit that the above poster listed. But there's a reason that VW provided a basic set of tools with the early beetles. (I'm not so sure what came with VW's later than 70.)

I guess you have leaned a valuable lesson.

Good Luck.

PS. I'm really just twisting your pickle Bro! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

I always have a couple spare fan belts, an accelerator cable, and a clutch cable but not always my "real" tools to change everything.

I do have the original tool kit though so technically I could use that for the belt, if needed.

I have had a belt go out while freeway driving my '55 a couple years ago.
I heard something weird, looked down at the speedo and saw the red light on.
Changed it on the side of the road, sort of a pain since it was like 105F out and the engine was HOT. I used my mechanics gloves as much as possible.

The belt on my '63 I changed before a long trip last year. (~1000 miles)
It didn't look that great and it was probably 10 years old so I figured why risk it.
I generally check the belt and a lot of other things out before any larger trip.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

lacolin wrote:
Since nobody commented, can I assume 7500 rpm in 1st gear is normal for you guys??? If thats normal driving, I would carry three spare belts! My car won't even get past 5500.

I doubt he hit 7500 unless he has a big performance motor.
7500 would probably blow up a stock motor, if you could even rev it that high
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan belt and being prepared Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
lacolin wrote:

I doubt he hit 7500 unless he has a big performance motor.
7500 would probably blow up a stock motor, if you could even rev it that high

A stock engine will never spin that fast. The valves will float way before that.

Last time i threw belt, i missed a shift and saw the tach bounce off the 8000rpm mark. I guess that's my rev limiter.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: