Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Vanagonuts,
I went for a little off roading yesterday to get to a nice spot in the Indian Peaks of Colorado.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was the only flat spot on the trail. It was steep, but nothing very extreme, certainly not nearly as rough as some of the jeep roads I've done in Moab, but the only other vehicles back there were four-wheeler-polaris things and jeeps. But I didn't think much of it until I got home and put it in first to pull into my parking spot and heard a whine. The whine/whirring sound is being transmitted through the shifter knob (manual synchro trans), and it changes if I wiggle the shifter. I heard the whine in reverse, first and second. It is present with clutch in and out (which I don't understand). I don't hear it in any other gear, under heavy load, or anything else. I drove it to my FLAPS this morning, and carefully listening didn't hear anything once out of first.
I drained the transaxle fluid this morning and found this:

The oil smelled burnt, as I always remember it smelling, but it was a decent brown. Spreading out the stuff on the magnet I found this:

That's inches on the ruler, BTW.

We were planning to do a family camp at Rocky Mountain National Park tonight in the van, but I don't want to do anything stupid with expensive parts inside. We could take a tent and pack up the other car, but everyone would of course prefer the van, if it is good to go.

Anybody tell if these shards are ok? The longer ones are curved and thin. no big chunks.

I haven't filled it back up yet, so I can't speak to whether the sounds in first and reverse are still there.
Thanks in advance.
Bike as primary transportation
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Here is a thread with what a few of use have found to be "normal" and not so normal. Your plug doesn't look crazy however the whine you hear may not be represented yet on the plug.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596332
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

The additional analysis you've done suggests a failing pinion bearing, since those long shards are probably from the R&P. In a Syncro, this much forward pinion movement also leads to a fried Low idler gear :^ (

Fortunately, you've got Mr GAS in your neck of the woods :^ )
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
Here is a thread with what a few of use have found to be "normal" and not so normal.

These pics are really difficult to compare because there is no standard of oil-change. Is this from 10,000 miles, 30k or 60k or 90k? If it's at 10-20k that's really bad. If it's 60k, well it's still bad but.....

The general concensus is that a plug that is completely maxed (can't hold one more particle) is "normal". Which of course IT IS, because nobody cares about their transaxle oil condition until AFTER the trans starts making noise. Everybody else is trashing their valuable OEM R&Ps, shafts TOO. By the time it makes noise it's way way too late. The time to maintain clean lubricant (for longevity) is while the trans is running clean & quiet.

macjack wrote:
Anybody tell if these shards are ok? The longer ones are curved and thin. no big chunks.

Sorry to see this. The long ones have to be "recent", cuz they are not chewed up yet. When you drive fast, the R&P will rip that hairdo off and chew up the parts, and every night, the particles above the magnet will fall down in a cone-shape towards the magnet and make a new hairdo for you (of smaller shards). Good thing you looked, because something is in the process of giving up the ghost NOW. And stopping driving, can save other super-valuable items, like your mainshaft, and it's gears (1st, 2nd). That's assuming it's the R&P.

If you have to drive it, I'd fill it with garden-variety oil and then look again fairly soon. You will of course STILL be driving your valuable parts with trash in the oil, but your new oil (with the new trash plus the trash that didn't drain) is probably MUCH cleaner than everyone else's. So there's that. But now you're paying attention to a valuable and expensive mechanical component. That's kinda how it goes. I ignored my trans back in the day during the time it needed my attention.

So you can see my un-educated guess is probably R&P? Interested what some of the experienced members will say.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

So with a fresh fill of garden variety GL-5, It still has the whirring sound. It actually goes away with the clutch in, but may be there if I rev it with the clutch in. Hard to hear everything perfectly.
This drain is from about 40k miles. The long shards are what worry me, combined with the sounds.
The camping is about 40 miles away, up a winding highway at 40 mph. I really don't want to mess up more than I have already, but I don't know how fast that happens?
hmmm.
Thanks for all the replies already.
Any other ideas about how dire this is?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
I really don't want to mess up more than I have already

then stop and rebuild it now. or wait till it grenades and takes out more parts. only you can decide....it could have 4 miles, 400 or 40,000...who knows...no one can make that decision for you.

it's like when people call the shop and say "hey, my oil light is on, can I drive it to you...I am right around the corner" because, you know...no one wants a tow. I have been telling people "its $1,000 for every mile you drive it like that"

not to sound harsh but it's giving you a warning, are you willing to listen? and, not for nothing...if you "don't have the money to fix it" now....it's only going to get more expensive the more you ask of it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
If you "don't have the money to fix it" now....it's only going to get more expensive the more you ask of it.

Truer words have never been spoken, but it doesn't seem like a grenade situation like the 3-4 slider hub would be. However, note that the shards are "fresh", and it IS HAPPENING NOW.

What does non-use of a Westy COST? The last camp of the season, scuttled? There is a cost for that. As you said it's only 40 miles. But can you find a place to camp that's not grinding 1st & second gear uphill? You're really mashing on the R&P if you have to be in 1st & 2nd to make it up the hill.

I'd drive it around a little bit and take a look at the plug again, before driving 80 miles roundtrip. And THINKING it might be the R&P, certainly not on a steep uphill. I realize you're in Colorado.

One of these days some member is going to figger out how steep of an embankment puts the drainplug magnet above the oil level.
TheSamba NEEDS this info.
Or at least... the "Samba DIYs" need it.

Here's a pic of rear wheels that appears like the rears may be 20 inches higher (cuz 28" wheels). I don't know if this is high enough, it's just a random pic that I had of the van ass-end-up. Probably should tie off to a tree or other vehicle (behind) so it cannot roll fwd or maybe use a chain or a 2" wide yellow ratchet-strap, or your towstrap.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Thanks Sodo and skills.
Years ago I drove on a 600 mile road trip in the van where at the start I began to hear some vibrations but it was such a pain to turn around, unload the van, tell my friends we would be a day late, yada yada. On the way home, it ended up causing a cracked bell housing, tranny pull, etc. Huge pain. So I've learned that lesson the hard way.
I have gotten several good trip out of the van recently, and we do have a modern suv that we can drive in and we have a family tent, so can't get too attached to the Westy life in a short sighted way.
I needed to make a decision to pack one vehicle or another, and have already unloaded the gear from the van.
I'll test it out in milder environs before feeling good about a trip prior to rebuild..
and I'll start saving my pennies.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

How many miles on that Transmission since a rebuild or overall. Now is a good time to rebuild it.
It’ll be $4k now or $6k when it explodes. Once rebuilt I advocate changing the fluid every 10 - 15K miles. Especially if you have a non stock engine or a lot of extra weight.
Both of my Syncro boxes have been done within 10k miles and my spare box is out getting a new mainshaft and gear set installed. This will go in my truck once done and then that one will get the same treAtment and go into my MULTIVAN.
These Transmissions are the weak point of these vans and need Extra love to keep them going.
Stop driving it and send it to the closest competent builder and have it fixed.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Oh, I just noticed your vehicle line up. Just another odd coincidence of a TDi powered Syncro with an early Transmission failure.
A little more than a chance happening to me. Stop driving Now and get it fixed.
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

No question that TDi is harder on transaxles, and 40K is far too long an interval for oil change.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Agreed that 40k is too long for the fluid change. It might be less mileage than that, but it has been at least 30k.
This is the freshly rebuilt transaxle that I got from German Transaxle in 2005 when I put this conversion in. Aside from a small local rebuild of the reverse gear, which was likely more of a misaligned shifter issue, this transaxle build is on about 100k miles. While early for many cars, I wouldn't consider this terribly early for a Vanagon, especially given the TDI power.
I have felt for a while that I am beyond what I would expect, without a tranny cooler, and consider this something of a scheduled maintenance item by this point.
An expensive scheduled maintenance, but still, I was listening for it.
We slept in a tent last night and enjoyed it. It has been a while! The van sits for now, while I make a plan and save some pennies.
Thanks for all the input.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

macjack wrote:
.. fluid change.. at least 30k.
.. German Transaxle in 2005, ... is on about 100k miles. ..

That's great longevity, especially for a TDi install. Thanks for the data point.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Yes it is! That must have been a good trans build. Any rebuilt trans is kind of 'luck-of-the-draw' with regards to the (many) used parts that go back in.

Back in ‘05 the incoming transaxles had better parts, and the used parts stash offered better quality to choose from. Now all the trans are on the 2nd or 3rd round (and more), and parts have to be approaching their limit. Especially since so many run them in their own puke towards the end.

I often see members advising “don’t worry, run it ‘til it makes noise then rebuild”. That’s what I did back in my trans-eating days. But its not wise advice. Wise is to rebuild it before destroying other valuable (or no longer available) parts. You guys out there who have good quiet trannies with 100% OEM parts should get yours rebuilt BEFORE it goes bad. If it's got 150k and still quiet, get it rebuilt NOW. You get to use YOUR GOOD PARTS rather than some other 350k mi used part from the pile. But make sure you work with a rebuilder who knows you want your OWN primo parts, not an "exchange".

But macjack I have to wonder how long that (really well-built) trans would have lasted with 20k, 15k, —->10k changes, or at least monitoring the drain magnet every 10k.
Which could be a “new” thing for those DIY owners who go under the bus.

That’s probably what needs to happen from here on out in our antiques program. If 10k (or 20 or 30) maintenance was in the Bentley there would be a lot of quiet transaxles out there. Too bad it took 30 years to realize this. Actually we all knew this, right?

And certainly those with larger conversion engines a better maintenance plan needs to be added.

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

"Actually we all knew this, right? "
No.
How would oil save parts from breaking ?
You change the oil every 10k, if nothing breaks (usual parts), or due to your "need to hold on with the traffic", the bearings may last 10-20k ? longer. Than you ignore the incoming noice, and your pinion will break anyway. See above.
Oil cannot voodoo
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

That magnet isn't close to being filled.

Drive it home, deal with it there.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That magnet isn't close to being filled.

Yep PLENTY of space! See trashcans above.

If you haven't changed the 3-4 slider hub, yes that should be done while the trans is running quiet, they break between 100k and 150k. And there are a few other parts that can break too. Really a good plan to rebuild while the trans is quiet and running clean.
Also really good to implement a clean lubricant plan for any trans running quiet and clean.

Waldi wrote:
Oil cannot voodoo

Interesting word brought into the discussion.
Which of these can be voodoo and which is better by simple logic?

Oil Brand voodoo? ------ or -------- clean lubricant voodoo?

(for big engines..... choose clean + all the voodoo you can afford) Wink
~
~
~

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about embedding magnets up in the gear cluster housing rather than waiting for chunks to migrate down to the R&P case?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

If one is filtering and cooling, I’m not sure that 10k or 20k oil changes are necessary. I’ve experimented at 10k with the oil in mine and let it settle for a week and found zero magnetic particles...
The EP package theoretically shouldn’t degrade either as temps are kept quite low (mine never sees above 145)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle magnet shard analysis: am I tent camping tonight? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Has anyone thought about embedding magnets up in the gear cluster housing rather than waiting for chunks to migrate down to the R&P case?

That's an interesting thought. There are two big windows at the bottom of the trans where oil flows between the gear cluster and the R&P. Magnets could be affixed near these openings.

Here are some thoughts.

Plus:
Magnets can be added by removing the bellhousing.
Would catch the big parts of the 3-4 slider hub or shift rod bearings before they got to the R&P
The magnets are NOT near the R&P (where violent oil motion at R&P washes big hairdo off) and could hold onto more stuff.

Minus:
More useful in 100% OEM trans (that have original 3-4 slider that can crack & shed large parts)
The drainplug could be missing telltale failure particles (hinders inspection)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: