Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering from Hell
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Steering from Hell Reply with quote

My '73's steering isn't very tight. There's about 6 inches of free play in the steering wheel. Is this slop likely in the steering box, or is it more apt to be the other suspension components (ball joints, etc.)? I see that The Thing Shop has steering boxes for sale, and I'm tempted to try one to see if it helps. Ideas, please?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the side of your steering gearbox is an adjuster screw with a locknut surrounding it. Loosen the nut and turn the screw (looks like a grub screw) clockwise while gently rocking the steering wheel back and forth till the steering wheel only moves a little (1/8-1/4 inch ) as you want a tiny bit of play in the gearbox. Be extremely careful on the first test drive or two as when this much play must be taken out of a gearbox I have seen them lock up while turning. If this happens you should replace it. The other option is to loosen up the steering to about 1/2 inch play and most of the time it won't do that again ,but again it should be replaced.
I would also have someone else gently rock the steering wheel (with the Thing on the ground) back and forth while looking for any play in the tie rod ends. If there is any replace them. I would also look closely where the steering column is attatched to the gearbox to make sure it's tight. There is nothing worse than having a steering component come loose while running down the road. I had this happen to me in my youth in a Chevy pick-up and it was one scary ride!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scarroll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a couple of months, but I finally got around to looking at that steering (gas heater came first). TimGud, you were right! Almost all of the play was in the steering box, and after a few minutes of adjustment it handles very well. It still feels just a bit "soft" in the center of travel, which I presume is a combination of tie-rod ends, ball joints, and other suspension wear. Nothing I can't live with...it is now very pleasant to drive. Thanks for the tip!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome. Glad to here it worked out well for you. Enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

I'm running into the same problem with my Thing -- there are a good couple inches of freeplay in the steering, and while I can still handle it, I should fix it. Problem is, the bolt for that locknut is rusted tight, and no amount of Liquid Wrench has helped (yet). Did they thread these bolts backward or something? Crying or Very sad

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Maxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just re-adjusted mine thanks to this thread. Thanks!

The Jam nutted Grub screw was accessible through the little steering access panel in the trunk.

The Jam nut was very tight, but with some penetrating oil and some (not so getle) tapping it came free. Just regular threads - Righty tighty-lefty loosy. Good luck
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxf wrote:
Just regular threads - Righty tighty-lefty loosy. Good luck

Thanks, Max. I'm soaking mine still. Due to the gas heater, I can't access the box from the trunk, so I'll have to do it from under the car.

What did you use to turn the grub screw? None of our screwdrivers are big enough, but the straight end of a crowbar was too big.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a large screwdriver. Once the locknut is loose the grub screw turns easily and you don't turn it much anyways to take out the play.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks! I think I'll go spray on some more Liquid Wrench right now...

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know PB Blaster works alot better than liquid wench when it comes to removing rusty parts. Might save you a few days of soaking by getting a can.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
You know PB Blaster works alot better than liquid wench when it comes to removing rusty parts. Might save you a few days of soaking by getting a can.

"PB Blaster"? I've never heard of it, but I'll look for it.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Steering from Hell Reply with quote

Towel Rail,

Here's what you are lookijng for:
http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steering from Hell Reply with quote

ztnoo wrote:
Towel Rail,

Here's what you are lookijng for:
http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1

If nothing else, that's an awesome-looking can.

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The can is the reason I thought it was snake oil for so many years. Then I tried it and never bought any of the other stuff again. HUMM I should figure out a way to get paid advertising for their product. LOL
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimGud wrote:
The can is the reason I thought it was snake oil for so many years. Then I tried it and never bought any of the other stuff again. HUMM I should figure out a way to get paid advertising for their product. LOL

There ya go. You could be the online two-product volume leader in PB Blaster and WaxOyl sales! Razz

- Scott

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: