Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carburetor woes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

I have a 66 Bug. I just bought it. I pulled the motor put in a new clutch, flywheel and starter. We got the motor in today and got it started. It won’t idle without the choke 1/2-2/3 closed. It’s got a 30 pict 2. I did pull the carb apart and replaced the accelerator pump, cleaned and blew it all out. It seems to run ok above idle. Also, when I turn the air bleed screw I get no change in rpms. The passage is clear. I’m guessing my throttle shaft is shot and letting air in.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Todd
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

30PICT-2 have unique issues. I don't like them and it is probably the last carburetor I would choose to use if given the choice.

What is the engine here?

My favorite choice is the 30PICT-1... the final carburetor prior to emissions mucking.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tugmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

I honestly don’t know what engine is in the car. It’s tagged as a reman imported by ATK. it is a single port. also. Todd
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

With the carb not letting the engine idle unless the choke is at least partially closed, I would suspect the idle/pilot jet and its passage need to be cleaned.

Could you explain the procedure you're using to adjust your 30PICT-2?
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

Check for vacuum leaks. When you get no change when you turn the air bleed screw and it has trouble idling, it might be sucking air in somewhere else.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

My 34 PICT 3 carburetor woes were all associated with the bushings being worn on the shaft that pivots when a fella' steps on the gas (throttle shaft?). While idling, spraying carburetor cleaner on the bushings produced a noticeable increase in engine RPM's. (As an aside, I wasn't able to produce the same increase in RPM's when I used WD-40; only with carb cleaner.)

I had cleaned the carb, the jets, checked the fuel level in the bowl (in an attempt to rule out excessive fuel pressure) and it all came back to the worn bushings.

Finally, before I focused my attention on the carb I checked the valves, timing and points (all seemed fine).
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

Just ran into the exact same thing on a 66 that is in the shop right now....wont idle at all. Idle mix not responding. I always look for vacuum leaks first and verify the time is set correctly.

All that was good. Pulled the idle jet and blew it out. Ran well for maybe 10 seconds. Pulled the carb, popped the top, removed all the jets, etc. Blew all the passages out really well with carb cleaner and put it back together. Runs like a top.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Carburetor woes Reply with quote

clean the idle jet, even with a fuel filter junk builds up in the float bowl and breaks free when the carb is removed or bumped around.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: