Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Sender Unit
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

Hello,
I have changed the original fuel unit sender to the one sold at Cip1 twice and it doesn't seem to work.
Will one of those out of a bug work as I am sure it will fit?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

You need one like this

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D311%2D919%2D051

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

https://www.vwispwest.com/311919051.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1975323

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xenophek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

Oh buddy, please be careful about buying reproduced fuel sending units. I bought a "new" sending unit for my Squareback that was a nightmare for me. It was the correct cylinder style and read the correct resistances, but it failed in two ways within ONE month:

1) Failure the first was that the float was poorly manufactured, and the conductive guides that follow the resistance wire weren't adjusted correctly. The float came off of the resistance wire after my first full tank of gas, and no amount of adjusting would give me a happy medium where the float was always maintaining contact with the resistance wire. I could never fill my tank if I expected to have a sending unit that worked

2) The second failure was in the float itself. Within a month of ownership, the plastic float filled with gas. Yep, it's a hollow float (not like original German sending units) made of plastic that is heat welded around the middle. Mine leaked and stopped working.

I replaced my "new" sending unit with a crusty old original one that I pulled out of a donor car and it works great. I'll never buy a new canister style sending unit again, and I intend to either buy a NOS unit in the future or repair mine as needed.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

the vdo senders are available
i got one for the panelvan here in australia last year some time $120 au so about $70 us

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

sorry should have said they are made in brasil by vdo but mines still working ok.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

i cant spell brazil either
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

Xenophek wrote:
Oh buddy, please be careful about buying reproduced fuel sending units.

I replaced my "new" sending unit with a crusty old original one that I pulled out of a donor car and it work great. I'll never buy a new canister style sending unit again, and I intend to either buy a NOS unit in the future or repair mine as needed.

Just so you know, Jim Adney rebuilds original fuel sending units. He even has the correct thin wire for them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

Even your misspelling was correct, as that's how the Brazilians spell it Very Happy
bassam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Sender Unit Reply with quote

Peters Van wrote:

It's Brasil in Portuguese Smile I am Brazilian Lebanese, I know Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: