Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying how to get the headlights off
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobdar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

Hi All

Long time lurker, I own the below 'Convertible' not a classic out of the factory but made in New Zealand from what i think is an Australian Made import.

My problem is the fenders are fibreglass with some strange headlight arrangement which has come loose, and for the life of me i cannot get it off.

What screws there are i have removed or loosened but the headlight rim wont budge but the headlight itself is now 'floppy' It looks like the enclosure is molded into the fender so nothing in the rear to remove to get to them i can see?

Any one have any ideas on how to remove them?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

Hobdar
what is the small hole in the top of the ring? Could it be a recessed alan keeper of some kind?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

We're going to need better photos from up close and multiple angles, showing detail in order to have a chance to help figure this out.
Grug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

So the headlight is floppy, but the chrome ring is rigid? Or is the entire assembly floppy?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

How do the wires connect if all is molded?
Hobdar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

Grug wrote:
So the headlight is floppy, but the chrome ring is rigid? Or is the entire assembly floppy?

I will get better photos but yes, the headlight is floppy but the ring is rigid.

The little brown knob at the top is not a screw or a rivet as far as i can tell.
Hobdar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
How do the wires connect if all is molded?

There is a hole drilled in the back where the rubber sleeve for the wires go into.

i will get better photos.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

I wonder if the bulb holders are actually screwed in from the backside. But I guess you already popped up the front-end and checked for that. Think
Hobdar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying how to get the headlights off Reply with quote

Sorry actually took me a while to work these out and they simply turn 180 degrees and then pop off...........

did my head in trying to work this out - new lights now installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: