Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I recently embarked on a 1.6d NA to 1.6 TD conversion in a 1983 diesel campmobile. I have been reading a lot of threads here and on other sites on the process; I realise that there are possible pitfalls. I have an aftermarket oil cooler and am planning on getting a Saab 900 intercooler to be mounted in the drivers side D panel. I ordered a turbo kit. The kit is https://www.hansautoparts.com/16TurboConversion.aspx
I cannot seem to dry fit the exhaust manifold/ turbo and make it work. I have read many threads about the turbo interfering with the left carrier bar or engine mount. In this case i could maybe re clock the turbo but the down pipe would be really close to the block. Has anyone else tried to install this kit on a diesel Vanagon? I know that it is prob. made in China.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Yeah most of what Hans sells is chinese knock-off parts of questionable quality. There's no way that I would trust a turbo from them. The website is also riddled with fitment errors and I would not expect their parts to fit without issue.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Did you also read that the 1,6D has no piston cooling ?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Without boost enrichment, wouldn't this just function like the old Jetta Ecodiesels?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Without boost enrichment, wouldn't this just function like the old Jetta Ecodiesels?

Yes. It would still give a decent increase of hp (~10%) and without boost enrichment would actually lower combustion (piston) temps so no real concern on that front.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Your engine won’t last very long. It wasn’t made for turbo pressures and heat. Give up now and if you want a great engine go for AAZ.

Edit: Rereading your post maybe you are talking about installing a JX engine? 1.6TD? Not clear.

Yes, there is trouble with the turbo clearing the engine mount.
damac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

i ran a couple 1.6 n/a blocks with the stock vw turbo kits for years without any specific breakdowns if it matters. only did that because i read on forums about others doing it before me.

but these were used in the cars, no idea what extra issues go along with running in a van.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

The only pertinent internal engine difference is the piston cooling oil jets. Adding boost without increasing fuel will actually lower the combustion temps. The piston jets are not necessary until you start increasing fuel to match the boost. All the other internal engine components are the same and certainly capable of handling boost. Keep the fueling reasonable and it will last just as well as the same engine without a turbo fitted.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I had long-ish post I'd written here that apparently I didn't submit, and it was lost when I closed my browser.

I had said what others have said -- generally not good news -- that Hans/Prothe has a very bad reputation. It's probably unnecessary to repeat this, but the point is just to emphasize that it's really a widespread consensus. I did buy a downpipe from him when I couldn't track down the flange for a turbo, and it was fine. A turbo is a very different sort of thing, however.

Given the very low cost of the kit, the turbo (a k03-006 I guess? that's a TDI turbo) must be very, very inexpensive! A catastrophic turbo failure can damage an engine, so this is really something to be concerned about. I'm afraid I have to say, given the little I know, I wouldn't want to run that turbo at all.

To give you a point of reference (if necessary), I recently bought a new OE K03-003, which is a very similar turbo to that in the kit, but for an AAZ. It was, I think $650, which is reasonable for a new turbo. Somehow this kit is $200 less than that!

I have seen discussions about the various inexpensive Chinese turbos available, and many people have had good experiences -- though many have not. The general consensus is that it's a gamble. But dealing with Prothe, you're most likely (given the price, almost certainly) getting really the cheapest of the cheap.

I don't know anything about how he gets parts, but I do know that in every report I can recall of attempts to use his injection pumps, the things seriously malfunctioned right out of the box. Turbos are simpler mechanically but they surely can't be simple to manufacture.

I'm wondering if the reason you have fitment issues has to do with how the TDI manifold positions the turbo. I'm wondering if you'd have better luck with an AAZ exhaust manifold and turbo (K03-003). At that point, though, there's not much from the kit that you'd be using!

I am sorry to say that most likely your best option is to try to return everything before you've run the motor (if even it's possible to get it working).

With help from people here and vwdiesel.net, you could make your own turbo kit. If AAZ parts in fact work (I'm not sure), you could get everything sorted out and then later (when your motor has had enough) would have the option to get an AAZ longblock and injection pump -- which would greatly increase power and probably reliability. If the AAZ parts fit, I think this would be a sensible option!
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Oh, lastly, I meant to say -- if you piece together your own kit, you can get used parts. The only things that may cause issues would be the turbo and oil supply line (there are some concerns about used oil lines, though most of us don't have a lot of choice). However, I would think you're a lot better off with a used turbo in decent condition than what you've got.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I really appreciate the replies. One of the reason I went with the kit instead of going to junkyards is b/c I can't seem to figure out exactly which manifolds I would need. I see posts where A. Libby says you can use a k03 and Jetta exhaust manifold and only have to grind a little on the engine mount. When I search for images of k03 manifold or Jetta manifold I get different information. I also noticed that the ports on the intake manifold are d shaped on the kit. 1.6 na is oval. Is that ok? All of the threads are so old on the topic that the pics are no longer hosted so that is frustrating. If any can point me in the right direction as far as which Jetta exhaust manifolds to get I would return this stuff and pay the restock and start looking for the better quality parts. I can tell by looking at the parts that they are sub par. Thanks. Also I am not planning on racing the van, it's just a way to make the van usable for off highway driving as now even that is not fun.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I also have boost pressure, egt temp and oil temp guages and a 36mm oil pump ready to install. I feel that I am taking every precaution.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

By using a wastegate and not swapping fuel pumps or modding mine I think that I should be ok.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

When I was in R&D mode for my TDI intake manifold, I used a grinder to open up a factory Vanagon diesel manifold to match the D-ports on my TDI head. The TDI manifold openings are larger than the 1.6, so it should work if you use the TDI gasket...but it's not optimal for flow.

This project is relatively benign, but the biggest danger here is that crappy turbo. How do you plan to get oil to and from the turbo?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Hi. To the turbo I was going to try to find an adapter to screw into the oil pressure sender until port and drainage I was hoping to have a "bung" welded onto my oil pan. The pan is cracked, I just found before I pulled it. Should have another pan soon though. Big problem is that all of the fillings I see are very expensive. Like this https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-bew-tdi-turbochar...dcOHelP43I
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

You are facing a rocky and steep learning curve. It is a stretch for Prothe to consider what he offers a "TD kit for Vanagon" since it leaves out so much and what it does include doesn't really fit. Send it back and do more research. How much automotive fabrication experience do you have or want? Buckle up.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Adding boost without increasing fuel.

So is this like taking a 1.6D NA >>> adding a turbo >>> but keeping the NA fuel pump without LDA?

So in this case you can get by without having the piston cooling jets, and still have more power from the turbo?

- - -

I sometimes wish I didn't even have a turbo because I drive so slowly I wonder if mine ever even kicks in. I wouldn't trust any turbo except a new KKK turbo, and the K14s (the one you are supposed to have) and double the price of the K24s which are too big to offer boost at low speeds.

I bought the new KKK K24 mostly just because I don't want to break down somewhere because of crappy turbo. But I wish I had a K14 for low speed power in the hills.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

The d-port manifold (1.9 intake manifold) will probably seal, but certainly is not ideal on the 1.6. I'd get an appropriate 1.6TD intake.

The K03 that is fitted to the AAZ engine is probably the easiest to fit although I haven't ever actually tried the AAZ T2 on the 1.6 engine so it might fit easier (or worse). The AAZ K03 requires slight mount bracket modification for the 1.6 but nothing that is structurally questionable.

Here it is available new (actual Borg Warner): https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/53039880003/

This is the manifold that matches it: http://www.vanagondiesel.info/images/1/1b/AAZ_Exhaust_Manifold_Comparison.jpg

The matching manifold is the top one. It's not my pic and don't specifically prefer one manifold over the other. Each is fine and how preferable one is vs. the other depends on the turbo being fitted.

Pull the turbo oil supply from the filter flange, not the end of the head. The pressure at the flange is higher and there will be less likelihood of a grenaded turbo. You can run the single oil pressure switch off the end of the head for the idiot light. I've made several oil lines from steel line. You can also go with a pre-made braided line.

If your pan is cracked, then the easy solution (although a bit spendy) is to get a new vanagon turbo-diesel oil pan.

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/oil-sump-turbo-diesel-diesel-068103601ab

Create an account there and log in and the price drops from 165€ to 138€.

Shipping takes a little while but that gives you time to source the turbo, manifolds, and other bits.

You'll need to fab a custom oil return line. There is not any stock line that will work. The line does not need to be fancy. Make sure the fittings are as large ID as possible. I've run several with simple barb fittings. There is no pressure, it just needs to handle the heat and oil.

Custom exhaust.

Custom air cleaner.

Wanted ads on vwdiesel.net and vwvortex would make sense.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I am a diy person. I will hire a pro when it is appropriate. I doubt any of the three classic VW shops around would touch this. An engine swap, my dream, is not within my means. I could buy a used 1.9 alh tdi for $1300 obo right now but then I'd need a lot of xtras and I don't have the knowledge. This seems like something I can do. I agree with you on the kit. I am having buyers remorse right now.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I think you can do it, but focus on the essentials first to get a driving vehicle. You don't need an intercooler, extra oil cooler, or extra gauges. Get it running! Then improve it.

The turbo can add some power, reduce smoke, improve mpg, and help you keep power at altitude.

Mark

ndorian wrote:
I am a diy person. I will hire a pro when it is appropriate. I doubt any of the three classic VW shops around would touch this. An engine swap, my dream, is not within my means......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: