Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Anti vibration clips will be going back on injector pipes, removed them to re torque an injector a couple days ago.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So I don't think that I did anything by adding wiring for gauges. I had same issue with accessory lights going out for a second once in a while during key turning. Also need to excite the battery once or twice to get that light to go off.
Re charged battery over night and will try round 3 in a few... I did read a post from 5/17 where you are talking about IP being left for a time with out fuel in it and how that leads to condensation internally. Could that be an issue here? Van was down for about 4 months.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

The only electrical connection needed to keep the engine running is the single wire to the stop solenoid on the injection pump. If it is running in the start position but not in the on/run position and you are seeing 12v at that wire, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe it won't run unless the starter is continuing to spin the engine.

If you didn't disconnect the fuel system while the van sat then it is very unlikely that there is an injection pump issue from that.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

That sounds right. Have you ever seen that?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Maybe I could make a short vid of it and post it on Youtube.
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Just got my AAZ conversion up and running and I was plagued with intermittent running issues , finally traced the problem down to air in the fuel line, my fuel tank was severely corroded and when the sludge plugged the line at full throttle the suction from the pump was enough to pull in air at the fuel filter connections, thats why diesels sometimes have a chunk of clear fuel line just before pump. I put in a new tank and lines and have been running smooth since.
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Hey thanks. I now think the pump is the issue. It only started yesterday after I had pulled fuel through pump and kept pumping until I thought I had pushed fuel into Inj. pipes. Today its bac to nothing. Just cranks and cranks. Going to loosen inj pipe on cylinder 1 then crank and then check for fuel on rag
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

And yesterday it only ran for like 10 -15 sec. So that would make sense.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

it is getting 12v though at least with key in on position.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So I could only get output from the pipe going to cylinder one. I retightened each one after trying for 15 seconds cranking and none of the other pipes produced fuel. Topping up battery again. Pump isnt pumping except for cylinder one.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

When i loosened pipe on cylinder 1 the engine sputtered once. That was the only sign of life today.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Previous owner is coming over later hopefully we can nail something down. Pretty cool to be able to get help from someone who sold you a used vehicle.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

It lives. After some troubleshooting, I learned about checking pump for valve opening and closing with motor off, we properly purged each injector pipe. I hadnt waited long enough it seems, on the other three cylinders. Then, and I don't know if this was the main issue but I feel very stupid, I was reminded about the cold start valve. I forgot all about pulling that lever before starting. Doh. It fired right up. Sounds great too. Gauges arent moving though Mad Sorry if I wasted anyones time here, I am truly a noob.
83_87wf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

In troubleshooting a no start issue, you can temporarily disconnect the air intake hose to the air cleaner to make sure your not restricting the intake, then try cranking. Another problem I ran into was a weak starter unable to spin the motor fast enough. I put on a new starter on, then started no problem.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

There is no way that someone with my level of experience, very limited, could have pulled this off without this site. From returning the original kit to sourcing the parts to installing the turbo and air intake and exhaust, all that came from this site. I learned as I went along and I know that not everyone with experience is down with sharing it with a newcomer who may be biting off more than they can to chew. I have tried to give a bit of feedback but probably shouldnt be at this level. I have owned a couple of busses and now this but I was always intimidated by the motor so i had a shop rebuild a 2.0 ac back in the day. It never ran right after so now I am leary and trying to learn as much as I can. I will update the post after i run it for a bit.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Hey thanks Brent. I believe the issue was that the cold start lever was not pulled out. Or that the system was not primed all the way, both really. Thanks for all the questions you have answered via email too. And for the very fair deal on the turbo.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Andrew thanks for talking me through parts of this, more than once sometimes. Sometimes when reading I move words around, dyslexic, and then respond before I re read. Probably makes responding for frustrating for you so I appreciate it.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it running. I look forward to hearing updates.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

I bought a set of two heat shields for the exhaust manifold. They dont fit. I think they go to a JX style manifold. Can someone tell me what heat shield(s) I will need for AAZ exhaust mani and Quantum intake mani. Pics are the two that I can't use and the one I took off the NA exhaust mani, bottom side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo conversion kit for 1.6d NA Reply with quote

So I had a bad ignition switch, had to wait a few days for one or two to arrive. Installed new switch and it fired up. I'm rolling out of the drive for a test run and vibrations are bad from engine. Oil and battery lights come on. Oh man, what ... BC I had let it run for a couple few minutes before gettting in. I got back out and saw a straight pond under the van. Shut it off, it is oil. Everywhere. I am wondering what I did wrong. Open engine lid and see that one of the lines going from the oil sandwich plate to the oil cooler had popped off. Stupid arse me had used hose barbs and clamps not only on the fittings to the cooler and sandwich plate but also to reduce said lines from 5/8" ID to 3/8" ID after I thought about it too much. Anyway I am now cleaning up the driveway and thinking about how to do the lines with threaded connections only.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: