Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

low alternator output?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: low alternator output? Reply with quote

I have noticed that my volts drops low (12v) when i run the headlights. During the day with no load there near 14v. Back story, i added the headlight relay from Bus Depot, ran that alone for a year or so, then back in July decided to add the H4 lights as part of the kit, the bulbs are 90/100 watt, and no, not dot approved here in the US! So thrilled with having bright lights for the first time, till i noticed the volts went down to low 12's and in the 11's at idle with the headlights on. So figuring they were to much for the alt to handle, I switched to LED's, only drawing 30 watts and very bright. Right away i saw the volts back up to mid 13's while driving with them on. But recently i have noticed that the volts are back down more like mid 12's with the lights on, and drop to low 12's at idle. So is my alt failing?, or could there be some other issue?
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Well, of course something isn't right. It seems, though, that low voltage output is a common problem.

My diesel (AAZ) engine has always had a lower output than I'd like to see -- something I've been more concerned with after adding a second battery and swapping my main battery with a big AGM. I have a new alternator (incidentally, not a diesel alt, but one for a WBX) and the voltage is the same as with the original. I bought an adjustable voltage regulator and now have more consistent and after, adjustment, higher Vs.

In a recent discussion, a number of forum members discussed the likelihood that we're chronically undercharging out batteries. Because even good alternators don't seem to have very good output.

Grabbing an adjustable regulator is something you might try -- they're nice to have anyway, and it's possible the regulator on your alternator is the problem.

You should also test the battery and make sure the alt belt is not slipping.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Adjustable-Voltage-R...ulator.htm
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Funny. I have an AAZ as well, and a brand new (120A) alternator. It's putting out 13.5 at the battery, just 8 inches away!
I've considered new cables, but I'm not sure how effective that would be....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Thanks zuhandenheit , i guess I'm not the only one with this issue, Thanks for the link AirCooled.net , its worth a try, there a little high for shipping $16 for a part smaller than a deck of cards! but thats neither here or there.Thanks again.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

i don't mean this snarkily but you have a 38 year old vehicle. of COURSE something is failing but it may not be the alternator. at this age, you need to do a complete charging system check. it'll take 15 minutes and pinpoint problem areas. there's lots of good posts on doing this but it boils down to looking for voltage drops between the alt and the battery when under load, the battery and accessories, and yes charging voltage.

in all likelihood you have a combination of factors going on... voltage drops due to corroded connections or cable, a weak battery, and possibly low alt output that may just be a regulator, the variable ones are nice. but at 38 years old, take the time to walk thru the whole system. 15 minutes.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Thanks Dan
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Funny. I have an AAZ as well, and a brand new (120A) alternator. It's putting out 13.5 at the battery, just 8 inches away!
I've considered new cables, but I'm not sure how effective that would be....

I thought about switching to a serp belt setup so I could run a 120A alternator.

I was using my original 1.6d alt and a v-belt. I replaced the regulator once when the brushes were very worn, but otherwise it worked quite well -- except the housing was damaged (wallowed) where the long bolt passes through, on the left side (where it pivots for adjustment). I had cobbled some various fixes but finally decided to get a new alt so I could use a 90A. I didn't want the trouble of switching to a serp belt, or the potential for damage to the crank and pulley.

Anyway, I was likewise seeing a max of about 13.5 volts and my batteries were for months undercharged. All the major components of my electrical system are new and I've got nice big grounds with new cables.

So, yeah, I am using the adjustable regulator. Without accessories running, it's a bit over 14.5 Now that my batteries are charged, I'm thinking I had better check voltage again -- it may have climbed close to 15. (I have a dash gauge that I can't trust -- you have to set these things using a multimeter at the battery, which I want to do again.

Installing and setting the regulator should be extremely simple, however the mounting holes on mine were just slightly off. I had to expand the holes with a drill press.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

If you haven't, you need to test the battery in the second or two of cranking before it fires up.

If it drops below 10, it's most likely the battery. A good battery won't get anywhere close to 10 when cranking, the alternator can be totally fine but if the battery isn't taking the charge you stand a good chance of also destroying the alternator.

Another option is knowing the CCA (cold cranking amps) of the battery, and then with a load tester. Any parts store will do this, typically for free.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

It is a big mistake to judge the alternator by the voltage at the battery.
You need to measure at the alternator!
Measure unloaded and then with things turned on. It should stay nearly the same.
Next measure at the battery, first unloaded, then loaded. If too much lower than the voltages you got at the alternator then you may need to figure out why.

Ohms law rules this kingdom. Measuring only at the battery displays ignorance of the law.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Good point Mark, I presumed the OP was testing the alternator on the case.

OP, are you? There's a ton of places the charge could be dropping between alternator and battery. We never see more than maybe 0.05 to 0.1 volt loss if testing on the alternator, and then again on the battery itself.

— Colin Chapman
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

I had a voltage output issue with the alternator on my old WBX, so I thought I'd replace the voltage regulator. I stripped one of the bolts holding the regulator in place, so I removed the alternator. I found that the regulator was still good, but all of the attachment points to the brackets and engine were crudded over with...you guessed it, crud. I cleaned those attachment points and added a little dielectric grease to the junctures. My voltage jumped way up, even when the high load consumers were all switched on at once.

Always check those grounds.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm going to get under there check the connections and all the wiring , grounds included and see what i can see. Ive had the motor out a few times this summer, it could be something has loosened up. Then test at the alt as you suggested
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

FWIW, please clean the rusty ground connection at the BOTTOM of your battery box... Evil or Very Mad

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, thats the only thing i can say i have done already, long before this issue. The ground straps have either been replaced or cleaned as good as new, and coated with dielectric grease. I haven't had a chance to look at all the other wiring yet, or run the load/voltage tests on the Alternator yet , but will post my findings as soon as time permits. Thanks to all for there input.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It is a big mistake to judge the alternator by the voltage at the battery.
You need to measure at the alternator!
Measure unloaded and then with things turned on. It should stay nearly the same.
Next measure at the battery, first unloaded, then loaded. If too much lower than the voltages you got at the alternator then you may need to figure out why.

Ohms law rules this kingdom. Measuring only at the battery displays ignorance of the law.

Mark

Well, in my case, incidentally my procedure (testing at the batt) is specifically recommended by the regulator manufacturer.

You're right that there could be enough resistance between the alt and the battery to cause a meaningful voltage drop. In my case, with a diesel setup, there's a single (new) wire going from the alt to the battery. Next time I check my voltage I'll probably assure that I'm seeing the same at the alt as the battery, but really I'd be very surprised if not!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Yes, some places that sell the adjustable regulators foolishly say to set the voltage at the battery.
For most vehicles that would tend to be safe but not so much in Vanagons as a whole.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

I'm still thinking the battery's not holding a charge under load, but would test the alternator at both the case and on the battery, too.

Five minutes doing these are the likely cause of almost all such issues.

— Colin Chapman
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Will do E1, thanks for the suggestion. Will do asap, just haven't had a chance to get to it yet..
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: low alternator output? Reply with quote

Keep us posted. If unfamiliar with testing the battery while someone else cranks it over, you might go to an auto parts store and have them load test it.

We once had a house battery showing mid-12s. Its cold cranking amps was 1150, under load it showed 9. Yes, Nine, as in 10-1.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: