Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2110 for street and heavy longhauls
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volkie1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

90.5 mm pent roof case
82mm 8 dowel counterweight crankshaft
CB performance H beam 5.4" con rods
90.5 mahle forged barrels and pistons
Engle FK8 cam (not sure as I want low end torque)
Engle phosphate followers
Straight cut gear
1.4 rocker
CB performance 044 heads
Chromoly pushrods
Spring loaded pushrod tubes
Pertronix billet distributor
Pertronix ignitor 2
Dual 44 IDF webers
Lightened flywheel
Stage 1 clutch

Anything outstanding that won't work
What sort of mpg to expect
Estimated BHP
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

What vehicle is this going in and what do you mean by heavy loads? If you want low end torque go with the fk7. FK8 is an old school street cam that makes power...but not necessarily low end torque.
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old gh bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:
90.5 mm pent roof case
Straight cut gear
1.4 rocker
CB performance 044 heads
Chromoly pushrods
Pertronix ignitor 2
Dual 44 IDF webers
Lightened flywheel
Stage 1 clutch

Estimated BHP

This is just about what i have in my cabrio

my heads are 044 with 42x35 valves im using FK8 cam
Berg 1"5/8 exhaust

the only thing ive noticed is that i dont think mine is quick of the line , but it may just be me , as i have been driving a 250 hp modern car and im probably comparing it to that . as for above 4000rpm it pulls like a train ive not really opened it up fully yet

i reckon im getting about 140 hp and 25mpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volkie1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Going in a bus with a load of about 200kgs down the freeways to shows and meets
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:

200kg counts as heavy? A bus with a few human passengers would weigh more than that...and their stock motors seemed to get around just fine. Your 2110 idea should keep that thing moving around pretty well.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:
Apart from when you're WOT it's not going to be great in a heavy bus. Chasing HP at the expense of lower rev torque isn't the way to go for a bus in my experience unless you want to drive it like it's a race the whole time.

My advice for a bus is big as you can and mild but then I'm an oldie and I like to keep the revs down. Smile
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

My simple answer is Type 4. In and done you will be glad.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Volkie1 wrote:
90.5 mm pent roof case
Straight cut gear
1.4 rocker
CB performance 044 heads
Chromoly pushrods
Pertronix ignitor 2
Dual 44 IDF webers
Lightened flywheel
Stage 1 clutch

Estimated BHP

AA non-forged 92mm Thick walls will be cheaper, closer balanced, and should stay round longer. More displacement too.

FK8 is a little too much for a heavy bus. I would do a Web 163 w/ 1.3 rockers, and matching lifters.

The CB straight cuts are usually pretty quiet. I would use those over an aftermarket aluminum gear.

Which CB heads? CB Panchitos, w/CNC chambers and matching ported manifolds would be awesome.

Skip the spring loaded tubes. Correctly installed stock style is all you need.

Check into the CB magnaspark distributor over the pertronix. I think it is cheaper and better for the whole kit.

If the bus will be heavy, stick with the stock flywheel, S2 pressure plate and a daiken disk.

1 5/8" header, 9.0-9.5cr. .045" deck, well balanced, and carefully assembled.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

For a heavy Bus I'd choose a milder cam. You need torque at a lower RPM for happy city driving. Maybe the FK-7
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

AA non-forged 92mm Thick walls will be cheaper, closer balanced, and should stay round longer. More displacement too.

FK8 is a little too much for a heavy bus. I would do a Web 163 w/ 1.3 rockers, and matching lifters.
Agree
The CB straight cuts are usually pretty quiet. I would use those over an aftermarket aluminum gear.
No aggree. Don´t understand why people are using straigth cuts for long haulers or daily´s. Just use quality helical like the CB adjustable. Never had a problem with those.
Which CB heads? CB Panchitos, w/CNC chambers and matching ported manifolds would be awesome.
Definitely. Or Tims stage 1.

Skip the spring loaded tubes. Correctly installed stock style is all you need.
Mmmhh, there can be clearance problems with stock style, unless its the "racing" versions with big mouth in one end.
Check into the CB magnaspark distributor over the pertronix. I think it is cheaper and better for the whole kit.

If the bus will be heavy, stick with the stock flywheel, S2 pressure plate and a daiken disk.
Yes

1 5/8" header, 9.0-9.5cr. .045" deck, well balanced, and carefully assembled.
Yeah, in a bus. 9-1 with stock rockers, 9,3 with 1,25/1,3 rockers.
Brian
vwmorten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

i have a w110 in two of my busses, one in a 2275 and another in a 2110 (76x94 oxy), standard 1.1:1 rockers with elefant feet adjusters, single valve springs, steel PR, 8,5:1 compression in both with nice heads 40x35
idles smooth at 800rpm, pulls hard from idle, and runs out at around 5000-5500rpm, great drivability for a bus (both have 3.88 transmissions)
65 westy
67 samba
71 earlybay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

I second the 110. I run a 2175 with a 110 in my bus and LOVE it. Produces 16-18 mpg in town and 21-23 mpg on the highway. We do a lot of traveling to festivals where we vend. The engine has no issue pushing my bus loaded (~1500lbs).

I would recomend some sort of external cooler. I run a deep sump, cooler w/fan and a 180* Tstat. My system holds 6 quarts and I never have temperature issues.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2110 for street and heavy longhauls Reply with quote

I've built at least 50 stroker engines for buses in the last 3 years, all 2110's. I use a stock weight 8 dowel flywheel, 4340 chromoly CW crank, chromoly I-beam rods, W120 cam, 1.1 rockers, solid shafts, 8.8 to 1 CR, my MOFOCO 050 cylinder heads and dual 44IDF's. VERY good power, plenty of torque(145ft/lbs) and pulls hard to 5500rpm. Not one problem of overheating or even running hot.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: