Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 motor to 6 volt?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattoreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

Oh boy, so I think I may have screwed up.

I wanted to replace my tired 1500 motor in my 62 double cab. It’s all six volt. So I bought a rebuilt 1776 duel carb motor, put the generator on, prettied up all the tin, all together ready for install. Pulled my motor and went to install the 1776!! Now I just realized the flywheel on the 1776 is a 130 tooth 200 mm clutch and the old motor is a 109 tooth 200 mm clutch. So now I think I’m screwed as I believe the 130 tooth flywheel will not marry up to my starter.

So what do I do?

Is there a six volt starter with a teeth to match the 130 tooth flywheel?

So I think could install the 1776 with a little grinding of the bell housing. But this starter issue is really throwing me for loop.

Advice? I’d love to keep it 6 volt.
Matt
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

sorry u want to stay 6v. but your gonna need a 6-12v bushing for the bell housing ,yae ur going to need a 12v starter too Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

Mofoco sells a later style o ring flywheel, that uses a 200mm clutch, but has the 6 volt ring gear.
*win*
You can even use the 6 volt starter on 12 volts, they hold up very well.
rpattee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

Found this in the classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1677514
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattoreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

rpattee wrote:
Found this in the classifieds.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1677514

And that my friends! Is the answer!!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 12 motor to 6 volt? Reply with quote

You could swap the 6volt flywheel to new engine also,have reground and put new clutch on it, that flywheel you have is somewhat rare. I used that setup in my first car/baja bug, couldn't afford to convert to 12v, motor came from an older bus that was 6v/200mm gave me a larger clutch to learn on and burn up, also no grinding bell housing out! 6 volt starter will work on 12v just dont crank too long.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: