Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

main jet , is the one inside the bottom of the bowl? removed everything cleaned and reinstalled

will chk spark via the old school way, pliers and leather glove , plug touched to the block

sat am installing new pump, came today's mail

interested to see if the flow is better than the old one.which was pretty weak

only thing different in the rebuild kit was the flow valve, wasn't like the original
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

Yes the main jet is the one in the bottom of the bowl it supplies fuel to both the idle system and the main venturi. Ethanol fuel can readily clog them up as the fuel in the bowl evaporates over time. Blowing air through the jet should have cleaned it right up, though I will take a wooden toothpick and stick it into the jet to break loose any crusties that may be left clinging to the sides of the jet opening.

Hopefully there will be something in the stuff you have bought that will set you engine right.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

ok started first try this am

didn't swap anything ran for 30 sec died

disconnected fuel line from the pump ,ran pump for 3 sec, had plenty of fuel in the cup.

reconnected everything, primed the bowl with 3 syringes of fuel

started up ran for 60 sec.dies

opened the top of the carb bowl full float was working

put it all together, started ran and is running now, took it for a short ride, seem normal

letting it cool down , going to check start it after lunch , let keep are fingers crossed , seafoam and cleaning? most of loosened things up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

started first turn of the key , took it for a 10 mile ride, stopping and starting along the way, all seem back to normal.

seafoam must of did it's thing, adding to the next fill up, and from then on

looks like it's going to Transporterfest after all , thanks wild thing for all your input
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

A lot of people are resistant to adding carb/fuel injection cleaner to their gas, I know I was at one point, but way back my dad had a late '80 Chevy Impala (V6 automatic) that wouldn't shift right so I took it to the dealership the have it checked out. The service tech said that he could find nothing at all wrong with the transmission and then asked if I was running FI cleaner from time to time and I said "no". He then got on my case a bit, arguing that one couldn't expect the transmission to shift right if one didn't maintain the engine properly. I kind of took what he said as BS, but bought some FI cleaner anyway and added it to the fuel tank, withing a mile of driving the tranny was shifting just fine as the engine was now running within design parameters and the feedback from the engine to the tranny was as per the book. Have been using FI cleaner as a first step in trouble shooting ever since.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

took it to the show sunday

started normal was loading up, idled for 5 mins died WTF

few pumps of the pedal started right up

ran fantastic no problems very responsive on the highway ,acted totally normal

leaving the show, started normal, first red light , started to stumble a bit, gave its some gas, HUGE backfire, then back to normal all the way home

any ideas maybe the end of the bad gas,crud,
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

ok update

after the show day, started right up , headed out to do and errand down the street , started to stumble , died, restarted, rev it huge back fire died! would not start or stumble after several attempts

towed it home

chk fuel pump Arrow pumping,and filling the bowl(drained it no water ) good volume

took a break from it for a few days(other stuff going on)

this am 3 pumps of the pedal, normal start, ran /rev/ idled 5 mins

no stumble or sputter just dies with a huge gasp at the carb( filter cover off at the time)

really frustrating thinking electrical? did not chk the bowl but it seems there fuel at the carb(good spray)

working alone ,so wiggled some wires /tapped the carb/looked at grounds/wires everything looks normal

have some tune parts on there way, never replaced the coil on this rig(30yrs)

also the electric fuel pump seems to (when the key is turned) sounds lower buzz/then higher buzz it's wired to the coil, but always has been

and if not enough it has been extremely wet/damp in the east

out of ideas,and this needs to be my daily dr for a while
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

My ancient Dodge was running somewhat like this, start up and run fine, and then after a few miles run horrible, spit and backfire and then die and couldn't be restarted. Ended up being a bad diode in the alternator that the electronic ignition module was seeing as a signal from the pickup in the distributor. Had the alternator rebuilt and the problem went away.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

alternator was rebuilt and is putting out good volts

will chk if there noise

can I chk the diode ....replace?

belt did squeal today but things are damp around here
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
alternator was rebuilt and is putting out good volts

will chk if there noise

can I chk the diode ....replace?

belt did squeal today but things are damp around here

You would need a scope to see what the alternator was actually doing. Have you changed the ignition module?

Maybe get a condenser and install it between the + terminal on the coil and ground to clean up the power to the coil
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

never replaced ign mod or halls

maybe time busdepot has OEM on closeout
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
never replaced ign mod or halls

maybe time busdepot has OEM on closeout

If you know someone close by, maybe ask if you could swap the distributor and ignition module over to your van for a test.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

Ok a little update

took the alt off and had a local shop test it all good

here's the weird stuff

put it back on, and went thur my normal routine, 3 pumps of the pedal, started first turn, ran normal cold idle, little high, reved up normal settled to a little high

tweaked the idle /mix screw ever so slightly, the spray draw noise sounded real steady,idled better

ran normal, reved settled to decent idle, for 15 minutes, then ,I was at the engine, a slight click? at the carb either the float v, or the idle cut off? and it died

started right back up, I started wiggle wires / grounds ran normal 15 mins kept my hands on the carb and cut off nothing , shut it down

letting it cool down now

it's raining now ,but will go out soon for a test ride in the neighborhood

have a buddy with an igni mod but not till monday
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

ok back to pulling my hair out Exclamation

update ran great all week, lite highway/ city driving

some new gas

this am started right up, got a 1/2 mile , turned a corner DIED no sputter, just died.

check the eng bay , everything looks normal , carb bowl cold(gas in there?)

was a bit of pump noise, but that has been like that.

tried numerous times to start it , remembered I had a spare igni switch, swap it in, and it started briefly Exclamation

tried again, push on it a little harder, heard a relays over fuse was clicking Question and it stumbled.

had it towed the 1/2 mile, charging the batts now, thinking the spare igni switch is a brand new junk part

ordering a few from different vendors asap

going to a buddies tonite to remove his igni mod to eliminate that

going out after lunch to pull down the fuse panel and check things out

even ordered a mech pump set up (waiting for it)

thinking the pump /igni system are both acting up coincidently, plus I hate the noise from the elec pump

any input would be appreciated greatly , one good thing is I was planning on a road trip , better to break down in town Exclamation
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

My dozen year old Airtex marine pump is still very quiet. I put my hand on it if I want to know for sure it is running.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

went out to put the charger on it, tried it for the hell of it Idea started right up , moved it over in the driveway , ran at a fast idle for 5 mins died, now no start Evil or Very Mad

I'm still thing fuel? pump is really laboring

have yet to pull down the fuses panel,
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

Sure your alternator is good and that your battery is good?
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

vdo volt gauge on the batt, just put the trickle on because

newer diehard ? international?

had the local ace armature (rebuilder) check it last week all good. great

just waiting to swap out igni mod

order a couple igni switches continental / meryle ?

and new igni(plug) wires , needs a total tune up pretty soon anyway
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

ok back at it this am

manual pump installed ( no marks on the pump? so bottom inlet from the tank? top to the carb?) I quess?

started and died what the f//k

spray starter fluid in the carb starts dies

going to switch hoses? and see if that makes a difference

wondering about the return hose and one way valve back to the tank?

won't be able to get the igni mod till tonite but don't think that's the problem

what else can I do to the carb / this is really f//king with my head

I need this vehicle running
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: 84 joker weird no start/ ignition problem ? Reply with quote

Some fuel pumps have top outlets and some have bottom outlets.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: