Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Wherein our humble author actually starts to get somewhere.

Those of you who followed my thrilling adventures in the hit threads Sigh! –Another Day of Frustration and Help With Using Pump Timing Tool? will know that my "I think I'll just go out and set the pump timing this afternoon" mission has turned into a right bloody saga, thanks to poorly manufactured tools, badly adjusted Cold Start Lever and an original pump lift setting so out of spec I was convinced I was doing something wrong to get such wacky readings.

Anyway, I left you on the edge of your seats at the end of the last thread, where I'd just loosened off the Cold Start Lever, adjusted the pump to spec and actually managed to get the engine to start, albeit for only a few seconds as I soon found out I'd knackered my injector Leak-Off Pipes, with all my thrashing about in the engine bay.

So, more delays and more thumb-twiddling, while I ordered some new Leak-Off tubing and waited for it to arrive.

It did so today and I *FINALLY!* got to run the engine and go for a short drive. What a difference. For the first time since I got the van at the end of last year, I actually got to properly enjoy driving it today, without the sound of those rattling injectors setting my teeth on end. It just makes such a difference having the van sound 'normal' and not like someone's put a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer.

I am officially "well chuffed"!

Of course, things are never completely straightforward with me and this van. As I half suspected, having previously had the pump set so far advanced, the idle is now a tad too low, with the pump retarded back to its normal lift setting. So, the first couple of times I started the engine, it died when I lifted my foot off the pedal.

"A quick twiddle of the Idle Setting Screw" I thought "and we'll be away"

But, as per usual, it wasn't so straightforward. Like the Cold Start Lever, the Idle Adjustment Screw is hidden down the blind side of the pump next to the engine and that valve thingy which sits on top of the pump [and whose name has completely escaped me at the minute!] is sitting right above it, so I can't get a spanner or screwdriver in there.

In the end I just decided to make a bit of a 'ghetto' solution for now, as I was itching to get the van out on the road and see how it ran with the new pump timing. So I loosened off the lever at the pump end and moved the wee section that connects to the throttle cable forward a bit, to give me a few more revs at idle. Not ideal as the section I moved has a hollow in the bottom which sits on top of a hump in the plate underneath. So, obviously the adjustment is not meant to be made here. But it'll do until I work out a way of trying to get in at the Idle Adjustment Screw without having to dismantle anything else.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Im also considering the fact that the choppy idling might have been caused by a bit of air in the system, after my working on the pump. So I'll set things back as they were before I start it next, now that I've been for a drive and purged the air in the system. That'll let me see if the idle really does need adjusting.

By the way. Typically, the screw for limiting the Max revs is beautifully out in the open on the clear side of the pump and couldn't be easier to get at. But you can guarantee if that had been the one I needed to adjust, it would have been hidden away like the other one.

Oh well. At least I'm getting there slowly but surely! :)
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1992 VW T3 1,6TD Syncro [SOLD]
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

I'm having trouble telling from your picture, but it looks like you're pointing to the screw that controls the lower limit of the throttle (opposite the max screw). Unless your pump is very different from the one's I've seen, that's NOT where you adjust idle! There's a lever on the back side of the pump, which would be connected to your cold start, if equipped. There are two screws-- one on each side. IIRC, one sets the idle with the cold start pulled, and the other without it.

It should be much easier to adjust these screws than the throttle stop screw you were, I think, trying to adjust!

Also, if you hooked your cold start back up, you could pull it to give you more RPMS at idle while you sort out the problem.

I bought a very lightly used Giles performance pump, which ran great except with a strangely low idle. Until I got around to making the necessary adjustments, I just pulled the cold start to raise the RPMS.

Anyway it's good to hear it's running better!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

After you have rotated the pump, you need to loosen the injector line unions at the pump and then re-tighten. If you don't then the added stress twisting on the lines from rotating the pump will cause them to crack and fail. It also looks like your metal lines are all bent to hell and missing the anti-vibration clamp. Without it, the lines will vibrate, work harden, and crack at the unions. I would recommend getting a new set of lines with the clamp and keeping your current lines as backups.

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/injection-line-kit-td
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:
I'm having trouble telling from your picture, but it looks like you're pointing to the screw that controls the lower limit of the throttle (opposite the max screw). Unless your pump is very different from the one's I've seen, that's NOT where you adjust idle! There's a lever on the back side of the pump, which would be connected to your cold start, if equipped. There are two screws-- one on each side. IIRC, one sets the idle with the cold start pulled, and the other without it.

It should be much easier to adjust these screws than the throttle stop screw you were, I think, trying to adjust!

Also, if you hooked your cold start back up, you could pull it to give you more RPMS at idle while you sort out the problem.

I bought a very lightly used Giles performance pump, which ran great except with a strangely low idle. Until I got around to making the necessary adjustments, I just pulled the cold start to raise the RPMS.

Anyway it's good to hear it's running better!

What you are describing is the idle setup for the later pumps (mk2+) that had the fast idle mechanism incorporated into the cold start. The earlier Mk1 pumps (JX included) did not have the fast idle and so the idle was adjusted at the accelerator lever stop.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure about 1.6td pumps and did an image search, which showed that at least some have the mechanism.

Anyway, sorry stuzbot for the at least largely unhelpful response!
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

You can reach the idle stop screw if you remove the out banjo bolt and move the return line
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Most likely your idle settings have not changed unless the screw came loose.

What I usually do after I re seal a pump and want to get the idle neat, is back off the idle screw, remove the accelerator lever (10mm wrench), start the van and set the accelerator shaft with your fingers where idle sounds good. Drop the lever onto the shaft where the cable is happy with tension. Stop the engine,mark the position and reassemble the spring for the lever. Pre tension it, use an electric wire to pull it tight and clip it in place after you have tightened the M6 nut.

No fooling around this way, then bring the idle screw in contact with the accelerator lever. Done Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

On a few of my pumps, those accel lever stop screws were stuck. One wouldn't break loose no matter what I tried, and I resolved to use vice grips on the end (destroying the screw). But if it were stuck and not too rusty, I'd try screwing on another nut -- after backing off the existing one.

I'm thinking if you could get a second nut on the screw, tightened up against the existing nut (after it's been backed off), that could allow you to make adjustments using a wrench (ratcheting, ideally). Would it then be possible to get to it more easily and without removing anything?
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
After you have rotated the pump, you need to loosen the injector line unions at the pump and then re-tighten...

Yep. Going to do that once I've got everything adjusted up right. I don't want to be introducing air into the system again just now, while I'm sorting the idle timing out.

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Most likely your idle settings have not changed unless the screw came loose...

That might yet be the case. As I said, this was the first startup after doing the pump timing, so I couldn't be certain if the choppy idle was due to the idle setting needing readjusting, or because there was air in the system. Hence the quick botch job at the lever end so I could get the van out on the road and get the fuel system purged.

Also, as you can see from my photos, my pump has certainly been "tinkered with" by PO: Cold Start Lever clamped in place partially pulled, pump timing set to 1,6mm advance and all the usual locking pins / chains / daubs of paint removed from the various adjuster screws. So, while the screw is not loose, I can't rule out the possibility that PO has moved it from where it should be.

zuhandenheit wrote:
On a few of my pumps, those accel lever stop screws were stuck. One wouldn't break loose no matter what I tried, and I resolved to use vice grips on the end (destroying the screw). But if it were stuck and not too rusty, I'd try screwing on another nut...

The thing that's slightly confusing me is that the Idler screw [hidden in my pic no.1 above] doesn't look to have the same setup as the Max Throttle screw [in pic no.3]. The Max throttle screw is the familiar threaded rod with a nut to secure it in position. But the Idler screw [from what I can see trying to peer round other things to get a glimpse of it] has a hexagonal head with a spring round the rod which then just seems to screw directly into its bracket without a nut to hold it in position. So seems like it might just be using spring tension to prevent it loosening –not sure how that would wok?

So [especially as I can't actually see it properly] I'm a bit wary of trying to get a spanner on the screw top and twist it, without knowing for sure if there's <something> else I should loosen off first to allow it to turn freely.

I really don't want to be snapping that off, just as things are looking up!
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Righty-Ho...

I took the van out on the weekly shopping mission today and ran into a bit of a snag.

Previously, when the pump timing was advanced to 1,6mm, the van would start first turn of the key when cold. But if I went somewhere and parked up for about half an hour [ie. to do some shopping] and came back, the van would be slightly less reluctant to start –sometimes needing to turn over 3 or 4 times before the engine caught. I didn't worry about it too much as it still started fairly easily, just not "on the button" as it did when cold.

Well, today when I got back in after doing the shopping [so 30 - 40 mins later] and tried to start, the van didn't seem to want to start at all. It was turning over OK on the starter, but not even sounding like it was trying to catch at all –even when I floored the accelerator [mindful of the fact the idle setting might still be too low].

In the end, after trying unsuccessfully to start about 4 or 5 times and, on a whim, I pulled the cold start lever and tried again and it roared into action first turn of the key, with a bit of a 'thump'

So, questions for you all:

1: Reasons for reluctance to start when warm? [obviously this is not a new thing as there was a hint of it before. But, on today's evidence, it's got a lot worse since correcting the pump timing]

2: Why does the engine start easily when cold but [apparently] needs the Cold Start Lever pulling, to start when hot? [That's just being contrary, if you ask me!]

Any suggestions?
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

It could be an issue with the pump itself, stop solenoid, temp sensor for the glow plugs, the glow plug relay, the glow plugs, the starter, the battery, battery pos or ground cables, or compression.

It could certainly be an internal issue with the injection pump. I can think of more than one scenario where an internal issue with the pump would account for all of the issues (lots of diesel clack, high timing spec, hard hot starts, etc...). That's the worst case scenario so I'd make sure everything else is right before going there.

It is most likely not an issue with the glow plug system because if everything else is up to snuff then the glow plugs are not even needed when warm/hot.

Fast cranking is ALWAYS needed for easy starts hot or cold. The starter should whirrrrr. If it chug chug chugs, the cranking speed is too slow. The main contributors to slow cranking are the starter, battery, or cables.

I did not experience it myself but saw someone post how their warm/hot start issues were caused by a faulty stop solenoid that would work fine when cold.

Although tough starts are often blamed on poor compression, I haven't really found that to be the case. If everything else is up to snuff, even with compression below spec then engines will start easily unless the compression is really, really bad.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
...I can think of more than one scenario where an internal issue with the pump would account for all of the issues...

Yes. This is my nightmare scenario. As followers of my adventures will know, this van is suffering heavily from Previous Owner Syndrome and I'm still not sure whether the things I'm finding "not quite right" are the consequence of accident or design.

The pump being the classic example. I've read that it's pretty normal practice to advance the pump a bit when it starts getting a bit worn. I usually see +0,05mm mentioned. But my pump was advanced by +0,6mm. So did someone just do it by ear and get it way out, or has someone been chasing the tail of a pump which is wearing out, by advancing it more and more?

Then there was the Cold Start Lever, which had its cable tensioned too much, so that the lever was always slightly advanced, even with the dashboard lever pushed fully in. Again, accident or design, to cover up difficult starting?

All that said, I'm not getting the classic symptoms of a worn pump. Trying to start, there's no huge cloud of smoke, there's no smell of diesel and –once the engine's caught and been running for about 10 seconds– it settles into a rock solid idle and drives really well. Pulls OK [just as it did with the previous 1,6mm pump lift] and doesn't smoke. So, while I'll be the first to admit, my opinion is coloured with a hefty dose of wishful thinking, I just don't get the feeling that the pump is knackered.

Today I took the van out for a 20 minute or so run, to get the engine up to temperature. Then came home and parked up and turned off the engine. Then twiddled my thumbs for 20 mins and tried to start it again. As with the incident the other day, first time I tried, the engine turned over about 6 or 8 times without firing [or sounding like it wanted to fire]. I then pulled the CS Lever out [only about halfway this time], tried again and it started smoothly, first turn of the key.

If that's going to be a reliable scenario from now on [ie. give it a wee bit of CS Lever when hot and it'll fire up straight away] then that's not so bad, as it removes the worry about getting stranded somewhere and having to wait an hour or more for the engine to cool down, before I can get going again. But I'm still going to try and get to the bottom of this.

My suspicions are still that there's something not quite right with the idle settings. Even with my previously mentioned ghetto adjustment of the throttle lever, I think the idle is still set a wee bit too low. When I first start it, I have to keep my foot lightly on the pedal to hold the revs at around 8000-9000 otherwise they'll drop to about 6000 and it will start to struggle a bit. Oddly, this only lasts for about 10-15 seconds or so and then it'll settle into a steady idle at about 7000. Previously, it would idle slightly higher than this at about 8000.

This is what I'm seeing:

1: This is where I used to get a rock solid idle
2: This is where I get a rock solid idle now, after about 10 - 15 seconds
3: This is where the idle drops to, if I take my foot off the pedal, during the first 10-15 seconds.

?Waldo? wrote:
I did not experience it myself but saw someone post how their warm/hot start issues were caused by a faulty stop solenoid that would work fine when cold.

Presuming this is the stop solenoid:

I did have to keep disconnecting the wire to that while working on the pump, as it kept getting in my way. But I've since checked that it's securely fastened again. Still, that doesn't rule out the solenoid itself being bad. Is there any way to test it?

One final thought:

If it turns out I do need a bit of pump advance to get going when the engine's hot, is there any harm in hard-wiring this in by doing what was done previously, ie. putting a bit of tension on the CS Lever cable, so that the lever on the pump is always slightly advanced, even when the lever on the dash is pushed in? As I understand it, the CS Lever only has any effect when the revs are under 20000, so am I correct in thinking it won't do any harm to have it very slightly engaged all the time? [if that does turn out to be the only practical solution]
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

Your RPM values all seem to have an extra zero. The big numbers on the gauge are thousands. It should idle ~800. If it idles low, then adjust the idle screw. Take the fuel lines off if you have trouble accessing the idle adjustment (put new ones on afterward...).

A little constant tension on the cold start lever is, IMO, a bad idea. Warning: overly complicated explanation follows. The cold start lever rotates a little camplate. That camplate pushes against a pin that is pressed into the end of the aluminum dynamic advance piston. That piston moves due to changes in pump internal pressure (which goes up with increased rpms). When the rpms come down, the dynamic advance piston goes back to stop either on the cold start pin or on that end of the plunger if the cold start is not rotated. Rotating the cold start only partially and running like that will result on the piston returning to hit the pin on the angled ramp of the cold start cam. That pounding on the side of the pin could loosen the pin and even cause it to fall out. That pin falling out of the piston is not common but also not unheard of. When it falls out, it can cause damage that will destroy the pump and even make it so it is not rebuildable.
stuzbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel Injection Pump Timing –Chapter 3 Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Your RPM values all seem to have an extra zero...

Whoops! –my bad. Mis-read the dial :oops:

?Waldo? wrote:
Warning: overly complicated explanation follows....

Phew! –you weren't wrong there. Thanks for the detailed breakdown. TLDR version. It's not a good idea.
1992 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
1993 VW LT35 2,4D [SOLD]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: