Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 bus sheet metal question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but under the front floor is this metal bracket type thing. It has the shift rod going through it. What is this piece called and where can I find one? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

this one?

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211703029C
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Not that one. I guess it would help if I put up the pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Not sure what part you are referring to. Have you tried the VW parts manuals here?:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Would try the hand and foot controls section in that. Use the "Full Index" for easier searching thru.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

OK, you might get that from Gerson, but more likely you need a donor part since that is part of the frame.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Thanks. I’m looking though the link and haven’t seen it so far. I’ll get a hold of Gerson.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Here’s an update. I just got an email back from Gerson and he doesn’t make this. He said he doesn’t think anyone else makes it either. If anyone has a bus they are cutting up and you have one let me know. Or a picture of a complete one so I can fab it up. Or try.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Put up a "WTB" ad in the classifieds, and look thru the ads at least twice a day for buses being cut up.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Thanks for the update! Put up a "WTB" ad in the classifieds, and look thru the ads at least twice a day for buses being cut up.

Yup. Ill be doing that. I have a couple messages out but no replies as of yet. I wonder if this is a common part to rust. I would think it is.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

The whole lower 6 to 8 inches of the body is common to rust out on these old VWs! Laughing
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
The whole lower 6 to 8 inches of the body is common to rust out on these old VWs! Laughing

That's exactly what I have to replace on this one!! Very Happy I got a reply on my ad and he said CIP1 sells the floor with this attached to it. Ill verify that tomorrow and let you know.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

I think this floor includes the part you need. It is listed as "hand brake bracket" but I see the shifter plate also. Not sure what year bus you have, but this is 65 and down.

https://alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_6232415-C...1051E.html

1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm wondering if all floors sold have the hand brake bracket on them.
tpinthepack wrote:
I think this floor includes the part you need. It is listed as "hand brake bracket" but I see the shifter plate also. Not sure what year bus you have, but this is 65 and down.

https://alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_6232415-C...1051E.html

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

No not all floors have that. In fact that is the only floor I've seen with it. WW and Gerson's doesn't.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

If you're doing the front floor I'd recommend panel bond over welding- I've done both. About halfway down this page is the panel bond job I did.

https://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263&start=40
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
If you're doing the front floor I'd recommend panel bond over welding- I've done both. About halfway down this page is the panel bond job I did.

I’m doing the whole front end! I’ll definitely look into that panel bond. My step dad uses it in his auto body shop. Been doing that work for 50 years and if he says it’s good stuff too, I’ll go with it.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

I called CIP1 today and they told me their floors also do not have the hand brake bracket.
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you like the panel bonding for the front floor over welding?
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

It would be nice if we had those floors with the bracket on our side of the pond,w/o obscene shipping costs .Confused
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 bus sheet metal question Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:
Bruce Amacker wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you like the panel bonding for the front floor over welding?

Faster. Stronger. Little or no after-work (grinding out the welds).
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: