Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Separating Engine Cooling Shroud
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Separating Engine Cooling Shroud Reply with quote

Found an extra set of cooling tins and a “doghouse” fan shroud for the 68 Ghia. Sandblasting them for paint and I’m wondering if it’s a good idea or not to separate the fan shroud to blast and paint the inside. And if anyone has any pointers on how to get it apart? Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Separating Engine Cooling Shroud Reply with quote

I'd have a local machine shop tank it to get any oil/grease out from inside the shroud, then clean exterior and paint it. Don't crack it open. Use proper fan for doghouse setup, and use the flaps & thermostat setup with proper matching cylinder shrouding.

Bryan
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Separating Engine Cooling Shroud Reply with quote

They're usually coated with oil vapor caked on the inside, that stuff don't rust
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Separating Engine Cooling Shroud Reply with quote

I usually have a tendency to go overboard on stuff like this. If you say don’t take it apart then I won’t. I was just thinking of cleaning and painting the inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Separating Engine Cooling Shroud Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
I usually have a tendency to go overboard on stuff like this. If you say don’t take it apart then I won’t. I was just thinking of cleaning and painting the inside.

Yeah.. That's a bit overboard. You could have it acid dipped & powder coated.

Or CAD plated Razz

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: