Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Cruising Craigslist tonight, I came across this engine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's an "AJ" block, which the list in the technical section describes as:
Quote:
AJ 1975-79 1600cc 50bhp DIN, 48HP SAE-net. Fuel Injected.

Note the lack of machining/provisions for a mechanical fuel pump. I had never seen this before. Was this unique to the Type 1 "AJ" blocks, and just for those couple of years?

I looked for reference photos for other fuel-injected engines, such as the "U0" engine code:
Quote:
U0 1968-1973 1600cc - fuel injected for USA

... but it appears as though the fuel-injected Type 3 retained it, and utilized an adapter on an oil pump-like base to provide crankcase breather fittings.

Even the later "1600i" fuel injected engines from Mexico retained the fuel pump studs, and used them on a fuel pump shaped stand to support the revised 4-tube intake manifold.

(additional photo in this document: http://www.vw-beetles.org/Files/Info/BtlMexTechnicalandDiagnostics1.pdf)

The engine on Craigslist has some questionable changes (such as replacing all of the head intake/exhaust studs with bolts), so I initially wondered if they had just not yet pulled the tape covering the hole off after painting. I did some searching though, and found this photo in the classifieds of another "AJ" engine, which also appears to not have mechanical fuel pump provisions.

I also found this AJ case on eBay... can't get any more clear of a photo than that.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

U0 1968-1973 1600cc - fuel injected for USA
... but it appears as though the fuel-injected Type 3 retained it, and utilized an adapter on an oil pump-like base to provide crankcase breather fittings.

FYI, that device on the Type 3 FI engines was used for the Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR), a warmup device that provided extra air at cold temps to raise and stabilize the idle when cold. It does not play a role in crankcase breathing; the bimetallic coil spring sits inside to react to oil temp, but it does not pass any crankcase air.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

I don't really keep track of engine code letters.
They were late 70's, German made, as21 alloy, FI, probably were all in bugs because.......that's pretty much the vehicle they made at that time with this kind of engine.
Probably don't see many today because they are all hoarded or blowed up already. I have three of them myself.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

I would be very skeptical of the type of work coming from someone who paints a engine like that and then takes a picture advertising it for sale.

Its like they decided to sell it 2 hours ago, hosed it off, sprayed paint over everything in sight, and took a picture listing it on craigslist before the paint is even dry. I hope the engine is not more then $100, and hope they are not advertising this as "rebuilt".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Lot of red flags on that engine. I've never pulled apart an engine that had been hosed down with paint that wasn't a mess internally, almost like they're trying to hide something...

Busted fins, head bolts, etc, I wouldn't bite unless it was really cheap.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

WD-40 wrote:

Was this unique to the Type 1 "AJ" blocks

yes

WD-40 wrote:

and just for those couple of years?

79-75=4 Twisted Evil
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

wow thats purdy!!! I wouldent wory about the fool pump boss if I needed it I would just machine it for one.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Sure looks like a broken fin on the 3/4 head.

Olli
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Looks like could be a used motor they painted all silver, looks real fancy though!
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

It’s a rattle can rebuild. Happens with machining tools too. Usually not worth what they want.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
wow thats purdy!!! I wouldent wory about the fool pump boss if I needed it I would just machine it for one.

Once upon a time we did that. Case all the same inside and weld a tit on case for another stud. Can’t verify but heard rimco did this as well but that was eons ago.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
79-75=4 Twisted Evil

75, 76, 77, 78 and 79 = 5 years d'oh!

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Quote:
Busted fins, head bolts, etc

Some of the "etc" would be a flat plate oil pump cover instead of the original one with edges for strength; bolts to attach the oil pump & cover instead of studs and nuts, the cast-in "ear" at the lower right bottom of the case for attaching the sled tin with the M6 screw is broken off. No case seam sealant smear/snot which most people don't wipe off after a rebuild implies the case was not apart just prior to the silver painting.

The now better-informed buyer beware.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Looks like the 8mm top rear stud, on the case seam, is pulling. Just a few too many threads showing. Makes it hard to read the case number.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
FYI, that device on the Type 3 FI engines was used for the Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR), a warmup device that provided extra air at cold temps to raise and stabilize the idle when cold. It does not play a role in crankcase breathing; the bimetallic coil spring sits inside to react to oil temp, but it does not pass any crankcase air.

Aha! That makes more sense! I was trying to figure out why there were two hoses going to the "breather". Thanks for the correction.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

The only problem I see is that it's missing the GEX Sticker
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Its like they decided to sell it 2 hours ago, hosed it off, sprayed paint over everything in sight, and took a picture listing it on craigslist before the paint is even dry. I hope the engine is not more then $100, and hope they are not advertising this as "rebuilt".

But look at how they masked and two-tone painted the oil pressure sender! That's attention to detail right there! Laughing

Lingwendil wrote:
Lot of red flags on that engine.

Olli from NJ wrote:
Sure looks like a broken fin on the 3/4 head.

mcdragracer wrote:
Looks like could be a used motor they painted all silver, looks real fancy though!

Ebel wrote:
It’s a rattle can rebuild. Happens with machining tools too. Usually not worth what they want.

Rome wrote:
Quote:
Busted fins, head bolts, etc

Some of the "etc" would be...

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looks like the 8mm top rear stud, on the case seam, is pulling.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Don't worry, I wasn't going to buy it. I just found the case interesting. Very Happy

The posting is gone now, but I believe it was $600, and if that didn't scare you away, it had an awkward and concerningly worded "as-is" disclaimer in the post. I should have saved a screenshot. Laughing
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

Here's the other angle, since you guys are having so much fun with this. Very Happy

vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

WOW nickies barrels for a bargain. Cool Cool

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "AJ" Engine cases without fuel pump provisions? Reply with quote

The Craigslist ad was reposted!

craigslist wrote:
v w bug motor - $600
have a 74 and up bug long block for sale 1600 duel port fuel injection. new push rod seals , heads cleaned and tested, valves adjusted o5, bearings ok, new rods bearings ,new plugs, new lifters,new sump screen , rear seal, no leaks, crank filled with 30 wt. oil, motor sold as is as seen, with no returns. cash only.

So yes, it has been rebuilt...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: