Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wild Cherry Van
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Is anyone familiar with this story? It seems relevant to all car guys. Some guy who has this entitlement, and goes on to private property, it's unbelievable.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article218398110.html
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

I had not seen this story but it seems like it would have to be a stolen Van.

Anything removed from a property by a private party without their permission would be theft.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:11 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Stories like this don’t surprise me. I knew a man that owned a salvage yard and despite gates closed after hours people would crawl under and start removing parts from the VWs. He started meeting them carrying a shotgun.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

That van is stolen! It’s great that he cataloged his process of entering private property & taking something that did not belong to him. Only in California would that not be considered grand theft auto. The best & only fitting outcome to that story is that the van is returned to the owner & that this thieving bastard goes to jail.

It definitely changes my outlook on all the cars for sale in California that say “out of DMV records”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Stories like this don’t surprise me. I knew a man that owned a salvage yard and despite gates closed after hours people would crawl under and start removing parts from the VWs. He started meeting them carrying a shotgun.

A couple of dogs would be better.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Nope, because if the thieves are bitten or mauled, they can sue you.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

The van is stolen. But I think there are shenanigans on both sides. Yes he did go on private property to get it. Why is the neighbor letting them on the property but not contacting the owners? They obviously had a key to the property but no contact information? The owners never did anything with the vehicle and even quit registering it, but want it now that it is restored. Do you workout a deal on the van as it sits now? Work out a deal as it sat then? Burn it to the ground and give it back to them in the shape it was? This will be a mess worth watching

Edit: Wow, the sheriff actually was there and watched them take the vehicle. Why would a sheriff let someone go on private property and steal a van?

Last edited by jwp67 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
The van is stolen. But I think there are shenanigans on both sides. Yes he did go on private property to get it. Why is the neighbor letting them on the property but not contacting the owners? They obviously had a key to the property but no contact information? The owners never did anything with the vehicle and even quit registering it, but want it now that it is restored. Do you workout a deal on the van as it sits now? Work out a deal as it sat then? Burn it to the ground and give it back to them in the shape it was? This will be a mess worth watching

There is no deal to be made, the vehicle is stolen, the vehicle gets returned to the owner as it is when recovered & the person that is in possession of it gets nothing. That is why it is extremely important to straighten out all paperwork before putting a dime into a project vehicle.

jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
jwp67 wrote:

There is no deal to be made, the vehicle is stolen, the vehicle gets returned to the owner as it is when recovered & the person that is in possession of it gets nothing. That is why it is extremely important to straighten out all paperwork before putting a dime into a project vehicle.

I do agree with you, this is just an odd story. But no doubt it is stolen as a sheriff watched them do it. Just odd
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

It appears pretty clearly as a stolen vehicle to me. I would say that sheriff deputy has some 'splainin' to do!

I agree, why anyone would put any bit of resources into a vehicle without clear and proper paperwork is beyond me. How did he get that thing titled? There is a similar situation locally where a vehicle was taken from a private property under suspicious circumstances, but so far not much can/has been done. Long story.

Reminds me a bit of this story, though the bus was absolutely stolen in this case.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=385148&highlight=stolen
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
It appears pretty clearly as a stolen vehicle to me. I would say that sheriff deputy has some 'splainin' to do!

I agree, why anyone would put any bit of resources into a vehicle without clear and proper paperwork is beyond me. How did he get that thing titled? There is a similar situation locally where a vehicle was taken from a private property under suspicious circumstances, but so far not much can/has been done. Long story.

Reminds me a bit of this story, though the bus was absolutely stolen in this case.

in CA, if it's off the books, you show up for a vin inspection, write "none" in the previous owner spot. You walk out of the DMV with plates and stickers, If it's not found to be stolen, you get a title in the mail in a few weeks.

That's one reason I'll never buy a bug with a mismatched pan. I've bought cars that were off the books and I registered them this way, but they were old original owners. My mom used to have access to the police database to run VIN numbers for me as well
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Burn it to the ground and give it back to them in the shape it was?

This would be the option for me, I'm afraid.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Some states easier than others to obtain paperwork. I bought my car as a roller/parts car junk without title in another state and paid a retired DMV agent to jump through the hoops to make it legal. Required database search for reported stolen, registered letters to former owner, imposition of storage fees to former owner if they wanted car back. Posting in three different public places including newspaper of intent to obtain new tile. Of course nobody came forward, it was a junk car with over 1,000 dollars in storage fees and most importantly it came back clean on stolen check. Some states easier than others, salvage titles might be a better avenue.

After reading the entire article it seems whoever opened the gate and the Barney Fife deputy are liable for aiding in the illegal removal of this vehicle. Laws in place were not followed and if she’s got an attorney she could go after this asshat and win. I’ve seen cars I liked very much too rusting back into earth because the owner did not want to sell. Don’t know about California but last registered owner despite wether things are kept up to date retains ownership. Another case of some entitled prick thinking they can circumvent the law because they want something real bad. If I was her I’d tell the story and do a go fund me to get it back, I’d donate to that.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

in CA, if it's off the books, you show up for a vin inspection, write "none" in the previous owner spot. You walk out of the DMV with plates and stickers, If it's not found to be stolen, you get a title in the mail in a few weeks.

That's one reason I'll never buy a bug with a mismatched pan. I've bought cars that were off the books and I registered them this way, but they were old original owners. My mom used to have access to the police database to run VIN numbers for me as well

Good point. But if you trespassed to get the vehicle off private property without permission there has to be something wrong.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

That is just one of the problems with todays society-if it ain't yours, leave it the f@#k alone. I hope that asshole has to find a ride home after the vehicle is returned to rightful owner( if any of this is true). Time for judge judy Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
That is just one of the problems with todays society-if it ain't yours, leave it the f@#k alone. I hope that asshole has to find a ride home after the vehicle is returned to rightful owner( if any of this is true). Time for judge judy Shocked

After he has extensively cataloged his theft of a vehicle, I hope he has to find someone to post his bail.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Then make sure the dogs are hungry so they eat the evidence.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

You can sue anyone for anything, assuming you can find a lawyer that will do it.

Winning is another thing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
assuming you can find a lawyer that will do it.

This guy is looking for new clients.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Cherry Van Reply with quote

I don't understand, do the original owners still have the title? If so, should be an open and shut case imo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: