Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

I have been contacted by a couple of other samba members recently asking if I could post instructions on how to use a rear defrost relay as a hard start relay. If you have a rear defrost system with a shot grid (like mine) and are having intermittent problems with the starter not turning over when you turn the key, there is a good chance this can solve your problem.

Under the rear seat driver's side you will see your rear defrost relay mounted to the chassis, you will also see the red (or red/black) starter wire coming from the ignition switch up front, passing through a clear plastic connector then it should go into a sheathing that exits the floor pan through a hole and goes to the starter.

1. Disconnect the red (or red/ black) wires from either side of the plastic connector.
2. Connect the wire lead coming in from the ignition switch to terminal 85 on the rear defrost relay.
3. Connect the wire lead going out to the starter to terminal 87 on the rear defrost relay.
4. Connect a lead from the B+ terminal on the voltage regulator to terminal 30 on the rear defrost relay-- in fact if you haven't messed with the rear defrost relay wiring you should already have this lead with an 8 amp inline fuse. I had removed that wire some time back so I ran a new one.

(The rear defrost relay grounds through its metal housing mounted to the chassis of the car so you should not have to run an extra ground lead.)

Here is a picture of my setup with the wires marked- note I used jumper wires and wire nuts to extend the wire lengths so they would reach the defrost relay:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those two red wires were the ones originally connected through the plastic connector, I simply removed them from the connector and jumpered each to the appropriate terminal on the relay. (BTW ignore that blue wire going through another plastic connector, that is my autostick ATF warning light lead, most of you will not have that wire.)

Hope this helps

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

P.S. In case you are wondering which terminals are which on the rear defrost relay, they should be stamped on the outer housing of the relay next to each terminal, but they can be REALLY hard to see so you might have to clean some crud off the top of the relay and shine a light in there to see them. If you have a relay similar to mine in the picture above then the terminals should be the same, but I believe later models used a different relay box so the terminals might be different on those.

Please double check your relay and make sure you have identified the correct terminals to wire this up before proceeding! Very Happy

1600 SP engine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

One more thing I will hasten to add-
I am not too familiar with the different model rear defrost relay boxes, but there may be some that used a plastic housing and thus NOT ground through the metal housing like mine does. If not, then look to see if there is a brown wire lead coming off the relay (should be coming from terminal 86 on the relay) to a ground point somewhere, this will be your ground lead. If not then look for terminal 86 on the relay and run a ground wire to a good ground point.

1600 SP engine
TheDharma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up! Ill try fiddling with it tonight when I get back!
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

I might re-wire my rear defrost switch as a secret cutoff that had to be turned on before the car will start. The switch and defrost work, but don’t really need it in FL.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up. Wink
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I might re-wire my rear defrost switch as a secret cutoff that had to be turned on before the car will start. The switch and defrost work, but don’t really need it in FL.

Your defrost grid actually works??? Shocked

1600 SP engine
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Parts of it do...it's not great, but...that switch would make a great hidden starter shut off. It would cause enough frustration to deter the typical crackhead or teenager that has to put forth any effort to figure it out.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Was gonna ask how much it might cost to get new rear glass with the grid in it...first link I could find suggests that I will not be having a rear defrost in the near future Crying or Very sad

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/rear-window-glassw...gK0S_D_BwE

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

I got my 1970 when it was just 2 years old. I remember that the electric defrost did not work very well, especially on short trips. Luckily, we rarely had frost so rear window rarely needed that, in Arizona. I'm pretty sure that my 1970's rear window has infinite resistance/open these days.

But it's way past being my daily driver !!! I just won't drive it under such conditions.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
sb001 wrote:
HippyTom wrote:

Was gonna ask how much it might cost to get new rear glass with the grid in it...first link I could find suggests that I will not be having a rear defrost in the near future Crying or Very sad

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/rear-window-glassw...gK0S_D_BwE

For some unfathomable reason their clear glass (no defrost) is even more expensive!

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/rear-window-glass-...1-845-501M

If you already have the clear glass just get a Frost Fighter kit:

https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-09.htm

Here's a thread where a fellow Samba member bought one to show how well it works:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Be glad you don't have a 65-71, clear rear glass is apparently impossible to source new for those! If I ever have to purchase new rear glass for my 69 I have no choice but to pay for one with a defrost grid.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I got my 1970 when it was just 2 years old. I remember that the electric defrost did not work very well, especially on short trips. Luckily, we rarely had frost so rear window rarely needed that, in Arizona. I'm pretty sure that my 1970's rear window has infinite resistance/open these days.

But it's way past being my daily driver !!! I just won't drive it under such conditions.

I posted here years back asking about how you test a rear defrost grid i.e. what is the proper level of resistance you are supposed to get on your meter with a working grid, absolutely no one could answer that question. I guess you find out anyway when you try to use it! Like the dash brake warning light Very Happy

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Wire nuts?! Confused

Come on, man. Just strip and terminate another wire, it's not that hard.

Or, simply fix the existing wiring and do without Laughing

(here I go, better duck behind a table before the wrath of thesamba gets me!)

I've never seen the need for a hard-start relay in a 12 volt car that had it's wiring in good condition, but for whatever reason its a common "fix" on these cars when simply replacing wire terminals and/or cleaning terminals will suffice. Smear some dielectric grease on the contacts to keep corrosion away.

(I'm not trying to be or sound hostile, I understand this may be a good fix for some, and I sure do enjoy the salty replies SB tends to get, so, carry on Surprised )

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Wire nuts?! Confused

Come on, man. Just strip and terminate another wire, it's not that hard.

Or, simply fix the existing wiring and do without Laughing

(here I go, better duck behind a table before the wrath of thesamba gets me!)

I've never seen the need for a hard-start relay in a 12 volt car that had it's wiring in good condition, but for whatever reason its a common "fix" on these cars when simply replacing wire terminals and/or cleaning terminals will suffice. Smear some dielectric grease on the contacts to keep corrosion away.

(I'm not trying to be or sound hostile, I understand this may be a good fix for some, and I sure do enjoy the salty replies SB tends to get, so, carry on Surprised )

That's fine I understand the concern about using wire nuts, that was supposed to be temporary until I got a set of splicers but never got around to it yet. The wire nuts are working fine so it kind of slipped my mind.

If you think that's bad, check out what I did with my D+ generator wire! Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's actually been like that going on 2 years now with no issues.

Meh

1600 SP engine
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

You're a madman Laughing

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

AS far as "fixing" the existing wiring vs using a HSR, the HSR is a much more viable long-term option. You can clean up the connections on the existing wiring all you want but the problem will likely come back. A HSR saves the existing wiring from further degradation and is so cheap why not just use it.

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
You're a madman Laughing

I'll get around to "making it right" one of these days.

Moral of this thread; do as I say not as I do!!!

1600 SP engine
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

Kangaboy’s M&T Manufacturing’s photo shows a window with a grid. The grid doesn’t appear to be like any stock one I’ve ever seen. In fact, it looks exactly like a Frostfighter grid has been added. If you inspect where the grids make contact with the vertical bars, this should be evident.

I have to wonder why a window with a grid added is cheaper than one without it. Also, the number of grids in the photo are twice the amount in the OEM windows. Wouldn’t they pull more amps than the stock 8 amp fused system can deliver?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Repurposing your rear defrost relay as a hard start relay Reply with quote

So I can only drive with the defroster on? Shocked what turns on the defrosyer any way? my car must be frost free as it only has flasher&light switch..and of coarse the radio and ignition switch. but hopefully some day it will have a ac switch!!! I guess Im good to go since mine is apparently frost free. Wink but none the less thanks to the op for showing how to repourpose those parts for those whoo have them.
it also helps if you run a #10-12 wire from the alt out put to the battery/or starter directly( for those whoo have the internal regulated alt. that takes the charging load off the main harness and those connectors that tend to melt under the rear seat. mine runs to the starter positive lug with the + batter cable on it.
many people snatch parts off and throw them away when they think they dont need them...there are many parts that can be re purposed...hell my steering wheel adapter was a forged ford 351 piston in a former life. and my cylinder heads were once beer cans!!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes well they could of been...and might bee.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: