Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flasher relay for LED blinkers?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Flasher relay for LED blinkers? Reply with quote

Hello fellow Samba members. I finally have a cut and dry question to post here. I just replaced my tail lights bulbs with LED bulbs. I think its a good upgrade, (especially if you saw my last post). So the issue is that my directionals blink fast now. I heard thats a possibility, and was told i need to change the flasher. Does anyone know where this is on a 1980? is there even one?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

The cheapest easiest solution is to add a parallel load resistor each side, to simulate the low resistance of the incandescent bulbs that you replaced. Most places that sell LED replacements will stock them.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

That's what I did. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-50W-Load-Resistor-6-...SwEDtbe44o

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
was told i need to change the flasher. Does anyone know where this is on a 1980? is there even one?

Yes, your van should have a flasher relay. It may not be stamped with a number in your van, but it's #21 in this borrowed photo:

Head to your local auto parts store and grab an electronic flasher relay with pins 49, 49a, and 31. Or, go the resistor route as noted above.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

Im going to try changing the flasher relay, seems like the simplest route
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

This relay: CF13-GL02
worked for me to stop the hyperflashing after the turn signals were swapped with LEDs.

I don't think you'll find it at the auto parts store.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

Thanks Erste, i appreciate the link, i ordered one on amazon, so if it doesn't work, i have a fall back plan!
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

superbrightleds.com sells the relay. works perfect. Just did it yesterday. What LEDs did you use for your blinkers?
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

Im using these fit perfect, and your well other than the quick flash. Its not that fast that i can't still drive till i get the new relay. Coming tuesday.

Philips 12898B2 1156 Bright White Vision Led Back-up light, 2 Pack
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

I replaced my directional bulbs with LED quite a while ago - over a year, for sure. I did notice right away that they flashed at a 2x rate. No worries, kind of a "Euro-look" thing, so I left it at that.

This summer I noticed that my hazard lights (four ways?) do not flash at all. They just turn on and stay lit. I'm guessing the hazard flasher needs to be changed out or resistors added to the circuit(s). Winter project.

Just a heads up, check your hazard lights for functionality.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

is everything working properly when headlights are on? Are front side markers on when headlights are on? The ones I picked up do NOT work properly, in that the side marker running lights are on when headlights are on and then the don't blink. With headlights off, the side marker lights are off and blinkers work. superbrightleds.com is telling me I need a "CK switchback bulb" to get both running lights and blinkers working.
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

I just went to a FLAPS and bought an LED-compatible flasher and the recommended superbrightleds units worked fine. One thing to remember, with the LEDs when one goes out there won't be a change in the blinker frequency to let you know like with incandescents.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

Well so far everything works fine, flashers, side markers etc, like you said, they blink at 2x the rate the should, ill see how the flasher works, coming tomorrow
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

Well thank you Erste! The two previous relays i ordered didn't work,( i guess the first one really didn't count because it was a 5 pin,not 3 pin, my fault for not looking first!) The second one was 3 pin bought on Amazon, but didn't work, there was no flash at all. CF13-GL02 this one was the ticket! It was in Ebay, came today, and worked like a charm!! Thanks again for the link!!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

there is this flasher relay that has a dial where you can set the speed rate of the flash to your preference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224083204830

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher for blinkers? Reply with quote

I ordered 2, I'll let you know how they work out.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher relay for LED blinkers? Reply with quote

the dial a flash relays, work great in our VWs
but I guess you never know for how long till it stops.. so YMMV..
*toss your old #21 flasher in the abyss of the bottom of the glove box.
I would NEVER.. ever install a resistor pack to correct flash rate when an electronic flasher is a plug and play option..

resistor packs do not alleviate the circuit load.. and they add in not only a new wiring splice.. but another component to fail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: