Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Soooo...this has been building for a long time, but I finally feel like it needs to be spilled. Over the last five years or so I've been anecdotally monitoring the brands of vehicles driving erratically, slowly or when the drivers lack general situational awareness. The evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable.

That brand is: Toyota.

Hands down these drivers consistently drive below the stated or prevailing vehicle speeds. They often slow down and hunt/bird-dog without regard for the vehicles behind them. They're slow to take off from a stop light--this is way way way too frequent not to mention. Lane management is not their specialty--weaving and inattentiveness.

The offending vehicles tend to be Camrys, Prius, Corollas, and Avalons.
The trucks driven by young male douches tend to be annoying but for different reasons.

Feel free to post up your own anecdotal observations.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

I've owned 6 Toyotas (currently a '12 tundra, my wife's '16 Highlander, daughter's '02 Rav4) so I can make some assertions, though at 50, I'm a Silver Alumni douche.

Absolutely! Prius owners in my town are self-righteous, arrogant, left-lane-at-posted-speed hogging leaf munching dog park stalkers by day, candlelight vigil for a dead possum by night, chantin' Blue Hippie, Red State wastes of primary votes AND oxygen.

Corolla owners tend to be busy but harmless space cadets and I never have problems with Camry drivers here. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Hyundai/Kia (what's the difference)2010 or earlier "buy here, pay here, rent the road a week at a time" drivers enter my lane from the opposite direction on a regular basis
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Around here it is Audi driving arrogant yahoos. Male, female, young, old, doesn't matter. They all think the bus is slow, and can stop on a dime. Concept of leaving space behind another car is foreign to them. I enjoy watching in the rear view when one is behind me at a light on a hill, and I let the bus roll back putting it in first. Eyes get real big, real fast.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

To me, there's two type of drive that drive like asshole..

The pick up driver, especially those from a construction company.... the crappiest truck the worst driver...

The taxi driver. U turn in the middle of a boulevard, running red light, zig zag in traffic...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

In my experience, drivers of Cadillacs seem universally entitled. Entitled to EVERYTHING !

I love to pass them in my 1835cc VW, especially after they pull out in front of me and cause me to jam on my brakes to avoid a collision !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

The taxi driver. U turn in the middle of a boulevard, running red light, zig zag in traffic...

Which in many areas, fill the Toyota Pious (yes, I meant that) category.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Sheesh, how could I forget Toyota drivers who park in the left lane on the freeway, and refuse to move over for others. To be fair, Buick drivers seem to be equal opportunity offenders in this category.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Sheesh, how could I forget Toyota drivers who park in the left lane on the freeway, and refuse to move over for others. To be fair, Buick drivers seem to be equal opportunity offenders in this category.

Yeah, but at least the Prius drivers don't leave their blinker on!

I drive a Prius, but I agree most Prius drivers are friggin' annoying, the worst being their hypermiling in the fast lane.

The best compliment I got was from a late Mustang owner who followed me to work, and he told me, "Jeez, dude, you sure don't drive like a Prius driver!"
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

It makes no difference what they are driving, old people are the worst drivers. Evil or Very Mad
Anybody over the age of 64 should be required to take a road test every 6 months.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Does that include you? Mr. Wegie?
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Can you please post data regarding your sample size, total Toyota sales vs sales of other makes in your area, average driver age, etc, etc...?

I have a feeling this falls short of an actual empirical study and is more of a biased observation. Very Happy

I do the same thing. I'm convinced Idaho drivers (Spokane is a border city) are slower and less aware of their surroundings than other drivers, but then, I hate Idaho, so...
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
Can you please post data regarding your sample size, total Toyota sales vs sales of other makes in your area, average driver age, etc, etc...?

I have a feeling this falls short of an actual empirical study and is more of a biased observation. Very Happy

But if there was an actual study with data to back it up it wouldn't be anecdotal then, would it?
Wink
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
It makes no difference what they are driving, old people are the worst drivers. Evil or Very Mad
Anybody over the age of 64 should be required to take a road test every 6 months.

That’s pretty safe bet but my dad at 91 still drives and he’s still pretty good at it. He was chatting with a 98 year old guy a few weeks ago and told him it was great to be with someone older than himself. I’ve been driving since 1972 but dad still corrects me, I’m ok with that. Very Happy
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Prius's, minivans and Subaru's, UGH! A pruis must be able to go faster than 52mph, yet I am always behind the guy who thinks he's saving the planet driving his electric car that is, btw, charged more than likely by a COAL FIRED generating plant.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

I too have owned many cars over the years and finally settled on Toyota because of reliability and resale value. After watching them consistently rank in top 3 in most categories I bought one, and that turned into more. If you followed the automotive world in the 70s and into 80s Detroit was turning out pure shit and European imports some not all were only slightly better. The Japanese on the other hand started building tank like products and made a name for themselves, that’s not opinion proof is in the stats and experiences of millions of owners. I bought a new 86 Nissan truck and literally beat it to death or tried to. Only thing I wore out was tires. After driving Ford and Lincoln Mercury products into the 90s and having many problems we got into the jap cars again around 2005. Been there since no regrets they take a licking and keep on ticking. Trucks oh yea I’ve been trucking since 1980 and wouldn’t be without one, just too versatile, like having another hand. Sometimes truck doubles as a workbench on nice days. Especially handy for greasy engine tear down and quick clean up at car wash.

Now that wife and I are entering retirement years we have a stable of Japanese cars and love em all. My advice find something that works for you. In your case it sounds like an old VW, 😉

Here’s the takeaway and I’ve borrowed this from someone else

If you run into a dick during your daily travels well then he’s a dick, but
If you keep running into dicks all day maybe you are the dick. Very true words and dovetails nicely into anger management which I see you are interested in.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

I've never seen anybody post that they are a terrible driver. I wonder why. Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I've never seen anybody post that they are a terrible driver. I wonder why. Laughing

Because of the well-known truism that “anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.”

Thanks, George C, we miss you!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

... none of us are perfect... always try to be thoughtful of others...

I tend to drive a couple of miles an hour under the posted speed limit, pretty regularly, except when driving my Toyota MR2. Then, it's AT the posted limit - I feel like i'm in a Lotus.

Had a 2 ton 1971 FJ40 Land Cruiser, from'99 to 2015 and in 3rd gear it was screaming along at 56 mph... it was a slow tank. Hope my slow speed did not offend anyone... was doing the best, I could. Enjoyed that ride.

Must say, seems most Oklahoma drivers ARE VERY considerate as when I drive my 1955 bug or '60 single cab, I tend to not go over 50 mph - once drove to Santa Fe, never going over 50... enjoying life, in those moments. -

Notice when, I drive slower, the person behind me allows much more than ample space separating us, slows down to just under my speed, sometimes for miles and acts like a protective guard for my old cars, with me using hand signals, having tiny tail lights and me, at an obvious disadvantage - many times this very mature and thoughtful "protector" is driving some huge American monster of a truck, like a F250 4x4.

i'm just thankful for thoughtful people, who are not on an ego-trip and know how to deal with most any situation encountered...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
I'm convinced Idaho drivers (Spokane is a border city) are slower and less aware of their surroundings than other drivers, but then, I hate Idaho, so...

I think you mean CA drivers who moved to Idaho. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: