Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
calvinater wrote:
Back on topic , worst drivers are those Canadian cyclists who feel that single file on state roads only applies to U.S. citizens.

Share the road!

Ct changed the law so that cars can cross the yellow line to go around cyclists. Now the folks who ride in a peloton will take up a whole lane and bitch out cars that pass too close. Nothing like brake checking em. The eyes get real big when they realize they are going to rear end a car. We all know that the person who rear ends is in the wrong...

It’s even more fun to roll coal on a diesel in front of a pack like that. I have left large groups of cyclists looking like they were chimney sweeps, black faced, coughing & gagging trying to find their way out of the cloud.

With a stage 2 tune, larger nozzles, & opened up exhaust, I can turn day into night for miles if provoked. It’s great for dissuading tailgating also, they back off quick when they can’t see the back of your car anymore.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
my59 wrote:
calvinater wrote:
Back on topic , worst drivers are those Canadian cyclists who feel that single file on state roads only applies to U.S. citizens.

Share the road!

Ct changed the law so that cars can cross the yellow line to go around cyclists. Now the folks who ride in a peloton will take up a whole lane and bitch out cars that pass too close. Nothing like brake checking em. The eyes get real big when they realize they are going to rear end a car. We all know that the person who rear ends is in the wrong...

It’s even more fun to roll coal on a diesel in front of a pack like that. I have left large groups of cyclists looking like they were chimney sweeps, black faced, coughing & gagging trying to find their way out of the cloud.

With a stage 2 tune, larger nozzles, & opened up exhaust, I can turn day into night for miles if provoked. It’s great for dissuading tailgating also, they back off quick when they can’t see the back of your car anymore.

Yeah, my other cars have been Benz, 300D series.
Nobody tailgates for long.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Dunkin Donuts, at my desk, brewed in my favorite Proctor Silex one-button. Smile

Fixed it for ya!

I don't get it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
Dunkin Donuts, at my desk, brewed in my favorite Proctor Silex one-button. Smile

Fixed it for ya!

I don't get it.

Dunkin' Donuts officially changed their name to just Dunkin'.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-donuts-changes-name-no-donuts-2018-9
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
My anecdotal evidence would be against interstate semi-truck drivers. Particularly the ones that pass other semi trucks at the exact same speed.

Gawd I hate that. It takes them 2.5 to 4 miles just to pass, meanwhile there's a traffic jam behind them. It's almost like the guy who's going to pass waits for a group of cars to catch them before pulling out to pass. I don't know how many times I've had that happen.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
my59 wrote:

There was a roundabout near where we lived in Kuala Lumpur, and one of my dad's favorite things to do was drive straight across if there was no other traffic. No curbs, flat, mown grass interior, irresistible.

Here the grassy center is more of a 2' tall mound with a side walk border around the outside with a 30* ramped curb, irresistible indeed.

We just got a second one within 2 miles of my house. Both have been "curb jumped" thru the middle. They planted a row of trees to slow that from happening. Didn't work on the 2nd roundabout. I've even seen a raised 4X4 pickup use the "sidewalk" as an inner passing lane on one of them. In fact the first of them (was a 4 way stop) had it's first accident within 20 minutes of being opened for traffic use.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

6T5 square wrote:
before this gets out of hand..

have you ever noticed that the worse drivers are from the state next to yours?

Im in jersey. NY drivers are too aggressive and Pennsylvania (especially Philadelphia) drivers are just clueless.

Fire away.

in my case it's the Canadians. I live near a border crossing, and see more lost Canadian drivers than I do old people drivers, Toyota drivers, raised pick up drivers, etc... I try to give them a wide berth, as I've see them turn left from the right turn lane at traffic lights, or turn right from the left turn lane, I've seen them cross 4 lanes of traffic just to get off at Menard's too.

Then there's the Canadian truck drivers (Quebec, and Ontario), that seem to think they own the road (are usually trying to pass their buddy going 1/2 a mph faster than their buddy) and creating 2 lanes of traffic about 2 miles long behind them. The worst has to be holiday weekends around here, as you have 2+ miles of truck traffic blocking the exit ramps to the right (keep left for Canada signs are quite visible, and are even painted on the road surface), but it doesn't seem to faze them. Then you have the rest of the Canadians who are in cars and SUV's that are lost trying to find a particular store (like HF or something), or a cheap priced gas station.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

I had 2 fuckers look at me today as if they wanted a fight. I don't know why. Some of these drivers get aggressive for nothing. I can't remember the first reason. The second reason was that I was sitting at a T-junction waiting to go left on a beautiful sunny morning, and some dickhead came from the right and turned into the road I was on going the other way. Nothing at all wrong with any of that, except he had a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle on him and was scowling at me. Obviously I should not have been there. Fortunately he drove on after having a good dirty stare. Maybe he wanted to cut the corner or something? And I was so passive, just grinning away listening to Def Leppard and drinking a coffe. Still can't remember the first 'issue'. It must not have been as important to me as to the thunderous fuck who was gawking at me like I had 2 heads.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
I had 2 fuckers look at me today as if they wanted a fight. I don't know why. Some of these drivers get aggressive for nothing.

Probably from southern California. Drivers here are needlessly aggressive and competitive. They are not awful as far as skills go, but they will race you to the merge even if there is no traffic. They will cut you off so they are one car ahead in a lineup of 20 cars. Stupid stuff like that.

As posted, Hawaiian drivers are the most courteous and non-competitive I've ever seen!

The biggest danger here now are cell phone people, though.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
I was sitting at a T-junction waiting to go left on a beautiful sunny morning, and some dickhead came from the right and turned into the road I was on going the other way. Maybe he wanted to cut the corner or something?

Yes. Left turns appear to be a significant challenge to almost all drivers.

First off, if when turning left, there is no need to swing to the right first, putting two wheels onto the right shoulder, in anticipation of making a left turn. Those lines painted on the road are there for a reason.

Second, when making a left turn at an intersection, there is no need to start turning before they even get to the intersection, apexing forty feet left of center of the street they're turning onto, driving over the oncoming stop line with all four wheels into the oncoming lane, before making their way over the solid double-yellow over into their own lane. I've seen MANY head-on collisions caused by this.

People do both of those things without even realizing they're doing them, just because they're lazy and aren't paying attention to their driving.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:
I was sitting at a T-junction waiting to go left on a beautiful sunny morning, and some dickhead came from the right and turned into the road I was on going the other way. Maybe he wanted to cut the corner or something?

First off, if when turning left, there is no need to swing to the right first, putting two wheels onto the right shoulder, in anticipation of making a left turn. Those lines painted on the road are there for a reason.

Second, when making a left turn at an intersection, there is no need to start turning before they even get to the intersection, apexing forty feet left of center of the street they're turning onto, driving over the oncoming stop line with all four wheels into the oncoming lane, before making their way over the solid double-yellow over into their own lane. I've seen MANY head-on collisions caused by this.

People do both of those things without even realizing they're doing them, just because they're lazy and aren't paying attention to their driving.

I do make a point of stopping as far forward to the marked line as possible, and as left as possible in my lane. This is to be fair to the drivers behind me who want to turn the easy right - it leaves space for them. This does not seem to go down well with the corner cutters. I'll test it out again tomorrow. Laughing

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Your exact experience happens to me regularly- and for the same reason. Try to be polite to the right turners- and suddenly the lefties in front of you can't make a two-handed turn. We are harshing their deal by making them actually steer their wheel tighter than a full speed left allows. Jus t once I want my bumper clipped by one of those realtors.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
As posted, Hawaiian drivers are the most courteous and non-competitive I've ever seen!

Don Ho music'll do that to ya.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

Fixed it for ya!

I don't get it.

Dunkin' Donuts officially changed their name to just Dunkin'.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-donuts-changes-name-no-donuts-2018-9

Well how about that. Just as stupid as IHOB.

The next time I go into a Dunkin' DONUTS I guess I'm gonna have to monologue, in a loud voice, something like, 'Is this Dunkin' DONUTS? I really like the coffee here at Dunkin' DONUTS. In fact, I even buy bags of Dunkin' DONUTS coffee and make Dunkin' DONUTS coffee at home because, to me, no coffee tastes as good as Dunkin' DONUTS coffee. Hey, do you folks like Dunkin' DONUTS coffee as much as I like Dunkin' DONUTS coffee? Because I really like Dunkin' DONUTS coffee.'
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:

I do make a point of stopping as far forward to the marked line as possible, and as left as possible in my lane. This is to be fair to the drivers behind me who want to turn the easy right - it leaves space for them. This does not seem to go down well with the corner cutters. I'll test it out again tomorrow. Laughing

Can you please do that in a dump truck, painted flat black, with no lights on, in the dark?
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Don Ho music'll do that to ya.

I met his daughter Hoku on Oahu back in '96, when she was a teenager. She was a cute girl.

And I'm not sure what Phil means about "Hawaiian" drivers. Does he mean drivers in Hawaii, Hawaiian residents, or actual people of Hawaiian descent? Whatever he means, I've driven in Hawaii, and once again, Phil is just plain wrong.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
And I'm not sure what Phil means about "Hawaiian" drivers. Does he mean drivers in Hawaii, Hawaiian residents, or actual people of Hawaiian descent? Whatever he means, I've driven in Hawaii, and once again, Phil is just plain wrong.

Well, well, well, have to make personal attacks again, eh? Just can't resist, can you? Rolling Eyes

My experiences in Hawaii are that resident drivers regardless of race (easy to spot because they are not in rental cars) are more patient and relaxed than most. Honolulu is crowded and not the best example, but even there they are far ahead of most US drivers in cities here.

One example: On Kauai I had been waiting to turn right from a business driveway onto a busy 2-lane (1 each direction), and approaching traffic came to a halt just short of me. I looked around nervously, expecting there was a pedestrian or emergency vehicle I hadn't noticed, so I hesitated for safety. The driver waived to me. She was just letting me into traffic, having seen me waiting for a long while for an opening. How thoughtful! It delayed people only a moment, and I returned the favor soon after.

Time and time again the attitude of drivers was one of little personal sacrifices to help others, and the whole. I found that attitude in more than just driving, but it really showed there. I blended in, and found we all got there just as fast, but a lot more relaxed!

The realization of how pervasive this attitude was hit me after driving there a couple of weeks, and then returning home to L.A.. My first impression behind the wheel was "wow, what assholes drivers here are!" It was then I realized that I had grown accustomed to the Hawaiian habits and found my self out of place in super-competitive L.A. driving.

If you think you are getting ahead trying to beat the guy next to you, go watch "A Beautiful Mind" and understand the example of theory of group cooperation instead selfish competition results in a better result for everyone.

There are a few exceptions there, of course, probably mainlanders who haven't caught on yet.

Mahalo to those who drive with the aloha spirit!
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Well, well, well, have to make personal attacks again, eh? Just can't resist, can you? Rolling Eyes

Disagreeing with you is not a "personal attack". Grow up.

Quote:
On Kauai I had been waiting to turn right from a business driveway onto a busy 2-lane (1 each direction), and approaching traffic came to a halt just short of me. I looked around nervously, expecting there was a pedestrian or emergency vehicle I hadn't noticed, so I hesitated for safety. The driver waived to me. She was just letting me into traffic, having seen me waiting for a long while for an opening.

That's a chronic problem in Hawaii. It is a major cause of traffic jams AND motor vehicle collisions. That's why it's an arrestable criminal offense in Hawaii, punishable by up to 30 days in jail:

https://law.justia.com/codes/hawaii/2011/division5/title37/chapter711/711-1105/

They stop, wave you out, and if you fall for it, you may get T-boned by a car in the other lane, blocked from your view by the "good samaritan" and all the traffic they've stopped behind them. They'll bring traffic to a halt on a major thoroughfare, holding up hundreds of other cars, just to let one out, often resulting in a collision.

Hawaii not only has some of the worst drivers in the United States, they actually IMPORT some of the worst drivers in the world.

Last edited by Gurn Blanston on Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

I find southern California drivers to be pretty decent, overall. They get on the freeway, they drive 80 mph where traffic will bear it, and they generally drive in the center of their own lane.

As a serious motorcyclist, both of these things are important to me. People in many states mistake the interstate as some kind of a campground, but I can always count on southern California drivers not to. They also tend to have the discipline to drive in the center of their own lane.

Being wrapped in armored leather from the neck down, I need to keep moving. If they're doing 80 or more, then I'm getting a reasonable amount of airflow through the perforations in my armored leather racing suit. And if they're not doing 80, then at least I can lane-split.

The occasional ones that struggle to drive in the center of their own lane, tend to lose their outside rear-view mirrors, which is obviously a real learning opportunity/experience for them.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: The official real anecdotal automobile stereotype thread Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
I find southern California drivers to be pretty decent, overall. They get on the freeway, they drive 80 mph where traffic will bear it, and they generally drive in the center of their own lane.

Except for the "Roads" Scholars who insist on merging from onramps at 45 MPH when traffic (was) flowing 65+ MPH.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: