Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Hello
The connector to the coolant level sending unit is so worn that it keeps popping off. The rubber boot was so warped that it was making it impossible to seat the connection, so I trimmed it. The send unit some how gets filled up with coolant, even though its only 2 years old. I'm thinking, OK, new sending unit to purchase, however, has anyone found a new connector out there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

You have the wrong sender for your connector, that's why. You need the older sender Wink

Put a little bit of Teflon, that helps the o'ring doing its job, they often leak bc the expansion tanks o'ring seat is not perfect.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Wow, really? Ok. I'll check into that. Thanks Smile
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Yep..two different senders, same basic design but electrical connection is different. An early part number 251-919-372 and later part number 5B0-919-372.

Your sender looks like it is leaking up through the electrical elements..very common problem. It look like it is leaking around the threads but the clue is that puddle around the plug connector.

To avoid this problem get the correct sender from VW..the after-market senders fail often.

251-919-372

5B0-919-372
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Great thank you for advising Smile Is it possible to get a new boot around the connector as well?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

86VaNa60N wrote:
Great thank you for advising Smile Is it possible to get a new boot around the connector as well?

The new boot part number is 447919141 about $10 from Latvia on the Bay. You will have to remove the plastic connector AIRC...part number 171906231.

A bit fiddly as you will need new brass electrical plug connectors too. Those are not listed but usually part of a electrical Euro connector kit in most shops.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Thanks so much, listing the part number is very helpful. Have a great weekend Smile
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant level sending unit with weak connector. Reply with quote

Hi Atlas,

I ordered those parts from VW and sure enough they had them TYSM. The boot is an exact copy of the original - yaaay. However, the electrical connector was too big. I'm thinking this may be the connector for earlier models before my 1986 van.

Just to save hassling the parts dept at the dealership, would you happen to know the part number for the connector for my year? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to figure out how to disconnect the terminals from the plastic connector so I can some how get the boot over the wires.

Thanks,
Noah
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: