Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent power loss
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RidgeWalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

I’m traveling in Kentucky from Colorado in a stock 84 with a 1.9L. Over the last several hundred miles the van will intermittently lose power and immediately return to normal. Imagine driving a 60mph for an hour and suddenly the engine quits for 2 seconds then resumes.
Done:
New fuel filter
New fuel pump
New fuel pressure regulator
Cleaned all the grounds I know about including those listed in the sticky post on grounds for the 1.9L.
New temp 2 sensor
It’s in a shop now. They are familiar with Vanagons.
After an hour of trouble shooting they are not sure what is happening because it didn’t misbehave in a 30 mile drive and everything they checked is fine.
FedEx will deliver a new oxygen sensor and air flow meter (rebuilt) today which they will install.
I’m getting a new set of plugs and wires too.
Any other ideas on things I should check?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

It's fall and the big daily temp swings are most likely to cause condensation in ground tanks this time of year. I experienced exactly this symptom on a road trip 3 days ago. On my next fill up I quit being the only buyer for the Premium fuel which is likely old and bought the Regular grade. It stopped immediately because modern fuel has 10% ethynol which absorbs water.

So that's a thought - ESPECIALLY if you've been buying premium on the trip.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

Popcorn Watching..... my '89 has the same symptoms, started a couple of weeks ago. While simply driving along, the engine completely stops for a couple of seconds and then continues as if nothing happened. Thanks for any additional info on what they found with your Vanagon.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

it's possible that either injection relay or fuel pump relay start of fail intermittently.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
it's possible that either injection relay or fuel pump relay start of fail intermittently.
^^^^ I vote for gently tapping on the relays with the handle of a screwdriver while the engine is idling, and see if it cuts out. BMW had a large problem with a certain manuf. and their relay for several models in the 90s. The Acid test was a slight tap on the relay, the engines would die out instantly almost every time since all of this particular relays production was suspect[ Seimens relay, not a Bosch...]
Anyway,, relays get old and worn just like everything else.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Premium fuel which is likely old

That's a sound theory.

I'm just adding this because, last year at this very time I was visiting EVERY DARN (confidential client's) gas station in the Idaho panhandle and I thought it was interesting...

The premium tanks are typically about 1/2 the size of the regular tanks. The middle grade of gas is not a separate tank but rather a mix of the regular and premium that get blended as you pump it. If you walk into a gas station with a clipboard and sound confident that you belong there, the manager will give a great tour and practically open the safe for you.
RidgeWalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

The van is out of the shop. Time will tell if the problem is fixed by the oxygen sensor or air meter. I also had them replace plugs and wires.
I’ll definitely tap on the relays and see if anything changes.
And I normally burn regular grade fuel, occasionally mid grade.
RidgeWalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent power loss Reply with quote

One of the above fixed the problem. Since I did a shotgun approach, cleand grounds, replaced sensors, replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor, etc I'll never know exactly what caused the problem. I'm back home after 3,600 miles from Colorado to Kentucky and back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: