Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartt59
Samba Member

Location: Directly over the gravitational center of the earth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
No more floppy mirrors. Did I say they have tensioners that WORK !
I can do 80 and so can these.
Awesome mounts and fast delivery.
See about it.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

1984 Westy GL 4 sp
1985 Westy GL Auto
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Dancing Dancing Applause Applause Applause Cool

Yup. Love mine.
unclekenz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Keen to learn .... can the bracket be swivelled forward an/or back to enable the mirror to be tucked back against the body whenever needed? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

unclekenz wrote:
Keen to learn .... can the bracket be swivelled forward an/or back to enable the mirror to be tucked back against the body whenever needed? Confused

Yes

Full +90deg/-90deg from straight out.

Possibly more though I haven't considered it tried beyond that.

I sometimes use that feature to clear obstacles when maneuvering tight spaces.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

unclekenz wrote:

definitely

they have 2 (3?) angles it can lock in at, and you can collapse them fully against the door as well

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors: warning! Reply with quote

Warning to anyone who has these mirrors, beware! One broke off spontaneously while driving down the road. I went back and retrieved it but the mirror had shattered. Upon examination, the weld was extremely minimal and only on the outside. The weld had metal fatigued and broke off from the wind of driving.

I can imagine a stronger angle that is stamp-bent rather than welded. Any reports of better construction?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors: warning! Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Warning to anyone who has these mirrors, beware! One broke off spontaneously while driving down the road. I went back and retrieved it but the mirror had shattered. Upon examination, the weld was extremely minimal and only on the outside. The weld had metal fatigued and broke off from the wind of driving.

I can imagine a stronger angle that is stamp-bent rather than welded. Any reports of better construction?

Hi, it has been covered in this thread that a manufacturing defect was discovered 3? years ago after which process was changed to bent rather than welded joints.

You will also see on this thread where I (the manufacturer) put the word out on here and other channels of this issue asking for reports of failurea and sending replacement of failed units.

If you contact me directly from SuperVanagon.com I'll work with you on a replacement on the bracket (I'm not involved in the mirror)

It is always most efficient to contact the seller/manufacturer if an issue comes up. Likely they have already dealt with that issue and have a solution and process in place.

It always surprises me to see threads started that are " product xxx I bought from yyy did this, how shall I fix". Before the user even contacted the seller/manufacturer. For those post, my first reply is "what did the seller/manufacturer say when you asked them?"

And, unfortunately, often those posts come with a words of what terrible product or seller (thanks for not going there) which is which really is out of place since the user did not go to the source that is best position to resolve the issue

....now if the seller/manufacturer doesn't respond, for sure post the facts so others can make their decisions more informed

....and if the seller/manufacturer resolves well, post that good resolution too so folks can feel comfortable that any issue is likely to be resolved well.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Andy

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I might have even bought these from you as I live in Santa Fe but it has been so long I don't remember and come to think of it there's a lot I don't remember. I didn't read this whole thread and not slamming any seller as I did get several years out of the thing. Yeah I already ordered a replacement glass from eBay seller glassmar_0 which was only $20. Are you saying the newer mounts are bent rather than welded? I'd prefer to upgrade befor the other side falls off! Thanks.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Yes, new design is bent not welded. Contact me through SuperVanagon.com for resolution.

If you bought only brackets you might have gotten them from me.

If you got brackets with mirrors you didn't get them from me directly. My brackets go to eBay seller listed on first page who bundles them with mirrors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: