Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duckboards from Thing Parts
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Studded Duckboards?
Heck yeah!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
No, c'mon!
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

LazerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

So, I just picked up my new pressure treated duckboards shipped from Thing Parts. They're pine held together with wire staples. Blech. It's ok, though.

I'm thinking I'll amend the joints with some screws before I stain and seal these. Here's my question for this forum: top or bottom?

I was thinking of doing domed screws from the top so they'd be studded. My husband is suggesting going from the bottom up (presumably countersunk flat screws).

What do my fellow Thingsters think?
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

I would glue and screw from the bottom and use stainless screws.
I plan to use teak 1/2"x 1 1/2"x 30" from Amazon, about $26 @.
I think your stud idea would some how get in the way.
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

A couple of questions. Are your duckboards only stapled together? Or are they stapled and glued? If they are only stapled, are the staples visible on the top of the duckboards?

If stapled and glued, I would just finish them as is.

If stapled from the top, but not glued, I would add countersunk screws from the bottom, and then finish them.

If stapled from the bottom, and not glued, I would totally disassemble the duckboards, remove the staples (or file/grind the staples flush with the mating surfaces) and then glue and screw everything back together with an exterior wood glue.

The glue is important. If you just have staples without glue, the staples will rust out pretty quickly and the life of your duckboards will be short. It's a shame they are pine. Hot Rod is right - teak would be best - but any hardwood is better than pine, pressure treated or not. If I were making my own, I'd also cut dado joints into the cross pieces.
LazerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

3 staples from the bottom at each joint. I can't tell if they're glued or not. There isn't anything visible oozing out the joints.

Disassembling these and getting them back together properly seems like a recipe for even worse looking duckboards when I'm doing it.

Now I'm leaning towards countersinking flat stainless screws from the bottom, finish them and hope that by the time they wear out my woodworking skills are more.... existent. Smile
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

LazerDave wrote:
Now I'm leaning towards countersinking flat stainless screws from the bottom, finish them and hope that by the time they wear out my woodworking skills are more.... existent.

For pre-drilling pilot holes for the screws the right tool for the job is a countersink drill bit with a stop collar. You can adjust how much of the drill bit protrudes from the countersink, and how far the countersink goes into the wood. The whole point of it is to eliminate the risk of drilling through the face of the duckboards.

Oh, and you can use brass screws rather than stainless, if stainless wood screws are hard to find. The brass will tarnish over time, but it's kind of charming, I think. The brass is softer than stainless though, so make sure to drill pilot holes the right size.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

I’ve done a lot of woodworking, and believe me, if they are held with glue (and I’d almost bet on it) the staples could be pulled out and you’d never know. I’m getting ready to build a set for myself and I intend to glue and probably use finishing nails, or brad nails just to hold together until the glue sets.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

Photos would be nice
LazerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

Ask and you shall receive! https://imgur.com/gallery/PP0MPiz?s

I've added the screws. Now I just need to motivate to stain and poly them.
califblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

They Look Great!

stain teak & coat with man o war spar varnish

P.S. If they Rattle...Felt the bottom slats
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

Don’t use poly. It will flake off over time. Use ting oil that soaks in.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Duckboards from Thing Parts Reply with quote

Unless you are also planning to use rubber Swiss cheese mats under them I think you are going to be unhappy with the rattling that you've just added to an already inherently rattily (sic?) vehicle.

Don't get me wrong I also think that duck boards are very cool but since they are something that were never really used/made for the Thing (they were used in both Kublewagens and Schwimmwagens) I've never had an interest in buying or building a set for my Thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: